2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 04-12-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
Chris

Borla Questions and Your Comments

For those of you who have had and currently have the Borla catback exhaust system, I would like to ask a few questions. There have been many informative comments posted, but I would like to see what the consensus is in one thread. With that said, here are my questions.

1) Just how loud is the catback system? I know SVTSnake
removed it due to it being louder than expected and I have seen and heard the video from BLKMACH (sounded very good), but without actually hearing it live, is the sound produced overbearing when not getting on it? For example, when I hear the foreign cars zooming by, it sounds as if they are traveling 90 to nothing but in reality they are going 30-40 miles per hour. I don’t want this. I want a system that, for-the-most-part, stays in sync with the RPMs. I hope I am making sense.

2) Does the catback system coupled with the stock h-pipe have a more quieter sound than an aftermarket pipe - h or x? I have heard different views.

3) For those who have had the system for a while, are there any regrets? If you had to do all over, would you purchased a different system or go with another setup (e.g. welded in mufflers and aftermarket pipe, etc.).

4) I am leaning toward Borla for a few reasons. First, is the price and second, from what I have read, it fits really well underneath the Mach and third, the rolled tips. Is the Borla Stinger catback system worth the price of admission?

5) Without lowering the rear-end to snake the intact pipes from over the axles, when the proper cuts are made, would it be difficult to re-install the original system if for some reason I am not pleased with the Borla?

Apologies if these questions are redundant, but this is the first car I have owned that mods were feasible and I just want to be sure the ones I choose will be to my liking so I do not unnecessarily spend money or have to uninstall due to poor quality.

You comments are appreciated.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:20 AM   #2
1badstang
Former Macher

1)The borlas are defintley not loud while just cruising, the mufflers stay intact with the rpms.. more throttle you give it the more soudn your going to get. With the stock H-you probably won't see any drone, I have a aftermarket X-Pipe and my drone is minimial

2)They are defintley alot quiter with the stock H-Pipe

3) If I had to do it all over agian I'd still do borla, the quality,fit,look,sound,power is all top notch from this system.

4) It's defintley worth the money.. like I said the system has it all looks,sound, power etc...

5) all you would need to do it have the system re-welded if you choose to remove the borlas.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:06 AM   #3
GRB60

When you cut the factory setup off, make a few marks with a Sharpie so that it will be easier to weld properly: On each side, in the area you will cut, draw a line. When you go to reweld it, match the marks and it is properly aligned. If you use a reciprocating saw, the amount of material removed will be small, so you wouldn't need to account for that when re-installing.

I did this and will probably end up discarding the pipes after a time, since I am happy with the Borla.

One other piece of advice, though. Be sure to disconnect the battery for at least 15 minutes prior to starting it with the new system. I didn't and it was really obnoxious the first time out. After the computer reset, I love it. It is louder than stock, but not too bad, I don't think. I still have the factory mid-pipe.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 AM   #4
Kn38ms
Glockaholic

I want to purchase the stingers also. With the stock H pipe it will be tolerable at cruising but LOUD at WOT
Old 04-12-2004, 08:32 PM   #5
03mach/03ZX9

Quote:
Originally posted by 1badstang
1)The borlas are defintley not loud while just cruising, the mufflers stay intact with the rpms.. more throttle you give it the more soudn your going to get. With the stock H-you probably won't see any drone, I have a aftermarket X-Pipe and my drone is minimial

2)They are defintley alot quiter with the stock H-Pipe

3) If I had to do it all over agian I'd still do borla, the quality,fit,look,sound,power is all top notch from this system.

4) It's defintley worth the money.. like I said the system has it all looks,sound, power etc...

5) all you would need to do it have the system re-welded if you choose to remove the borlas.

Ditto what he said:THUMBSUP:
03mach/03ZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
03mach/03ZX9

If you really are worried it might be too loud for your tastes,I can meet you halfway between tampa and orlando sometime and let ya drive it for a bit.
03mach/03ZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
rush2112

Borla

The Borla's are perfect (IMHO), didn't want anything too loud. These are GREAT!
03Mach said it perfectly!
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
rush2112

UH make that 1badstang said it perfectly!
Time for another
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #9
Chris

Thanks for the comments and opinions. It has made my decision to purchase these so much easier. XtremeMotorsports says the price has gone up and they are now $489 shipped. Can't wait!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:31 AM   #10
MACHMIKE

03MACH/03ZXR,

I would like to hear your borlas. I live in orlando and am interested in getting them but I wanted to hear them in person before buying. let me know when you have some free time I would come over to your side of town.

Thanks

MachMike :THUMBSUP:

K&N CAI
Catted Prochamber
Magnaflow Cat-Back
MACHMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 09:05 AM   #11
Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by MACHMIKE
03MACH/03ZXR,

I would like to hear your borlas. I live in orlando and am interested in getting them but I wanted to hear them in person before buying. let me know when you have some free time I would come over to your side of town.

Thanks

MachMike :THUMBSUP:
No problem. I will let you know as soon as the system is installed.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:30 PM   #12
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

You wont regret getting Borlas. Sound was great with the stock H not to loud at Cruise and great at WOT b4 I installed my X. Now it is a little louder at cruise and really mean at WOT. Definetly worth the extra $$ fit and finish is 1st rate.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:32 PM   #13
DanK
Blessed Hellride

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
Thanks for the comments and opinions. It has made my decision to purchase these so much easier. XtremeMotorsports says the price has gone up and they are now $489 shipped. Can't wait!
$405 shipped to your door from Performance Peddlers. Get their number off ebay and call them. Tell them you are a member of Mach 1 registry and heard you could get them for $405 shipped.

Mods: Aircharger, Borla Stinger cat- back, PHP intake spacer
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:12 PM   #14
Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by DanK
$405 shipped to your door from Performance Peddlers. Get their number off ebay and call them. Tell them you are a member of Mach 1 registry and heard you could get them for $405 shipped.
I looked on eBay. Is there username Performance Peddlers? I see where streetdemand is selling for $468 (shipped). I will continue to search, but could you please provide the number? Thanks for the insight.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:23 PM   #15
DanK
Blessed Hellride

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
I looked on eBay. Is there username Performance Peddlers? I see where streetdemand is selling for $468 (shipped). I will continue to search, but could you please provide the number? Thanks for the insight.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Here ya go! They have one up for auction, so at least you know they have one. Remember, according to another member, just mention you are with the Mach 1 registry and others have purchased it for $405 to the door. If, by chance, they won't do it tell them you can get it from ninosport.com for $425 shipped. Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-13-2004, 05:17 PM   #16
Chris

Quote:
Originally posted by DanK
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

Here ya go! They have one up for auction, so at least you know they have one. Remember, according to another member, just mention you are with the Mach 1 registry and others have purchased it for $405 to the door. If, by chance, they won't do it tell them you can get it from ninosport.com for $425 shipped. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks much!! I tried the 866 #, but it is out of service. I e-mailed and we'll see what the response is. FYI though, Nino now says the price is $489.95 (Ouch!) Guess my decision to purchase has come at a bad time. Still looking forward to purchasing the BORLA!!

Thanks again for you assitance Dank.
Old 04-13-2004, 05:59 PM   #17
Chris

Well, the money has been spent and PerformancePeddlers is the receiver of it. $425 (shipped). :HOPPY:

Thanks Dank for the help and, again, to all who commented.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #18
InDShadow

My Borlas will arrive this week and I can not disclose what I paid for them.
Born on Date: 10/09/2003
InDShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 03:34 AM   #19
shaker03

Music

Love my Borla's. Mine came with a volume control. To turn the volume up I depress the throttle, let up and the volume comes down. Beautiful deep rumble , no more raspy tinny sound.

You pay a little more but you get top quality
Eiback Sportline Springs
Tint.
shaker03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 10:57 AM   #20
DanK
Blessed Hellride

I agree with shaker03 on the characteristics so far with the Stinger cat back.

Old 04-19-2004, 07:17 PM   #21
Chris

Well, just received the Borlas at the door . I will have the system put on tomorrow, but the anticipation is overwhelming. They look pretty smudged up (fingerprints and such), guess I'll go wash them and then wait for tomorrow morning (haha).
Old 04-19-2004, 08:09 PM   #22
ZincDude
Slow Mach 1

Well I just ordered mine today from Xtreme Motorsports so I can't wait to put those bad boys in!!
ZincDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:03 PM   #23
JusMachN
2008 S281AF #9 of 24

I talked with the Performance Peddler guys today and they are currently out of stock but they will have more soon, possibly next week. I asked if there was going to be a price increase because rumor has it they are going up elsewhere and they said not for you. Meaning the registry guys. I guess I can wait a little longer for my CATBACK. They are not doing anymore backorders, so if you want it from them you have to wait until they get more to order.
JusMachN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 11:28 PM   #24
Bullitt2371

It's about time!

Quote:
Originally posted by ZincDude
Well I just ordered mine today from Xtreme Motorsports so I can't wait to put those bad boys in!!
I guess you really did like how my car sounded with the Borla Stinger :-)

With the Borla, half the fun is just listening to the Mach come alive when I turn the key:HOPPY:

Competition Orange 2012 Boss 302 #2970
Bullitt2371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:00 AM   #25
ZincDude
Slow Mach 1

Re: It's about time!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bullitt2371
I guess you really did like how my car sounded with the Borla Stinger :-)

With the Borla, half the fun is just listening to the Mach come alive when I turn the key:HOPPY:
Hey Steve what's up? Yeah don't know why I waited so long but now all I have to do is wait!! Thanks for the info again!!
ZincDude is offline   Reply With Quote