2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
Rustangin
Born to Run Built to Fly!

Drove an 07 GT

Just thought I'd share (not like my 2 cents really matter) but I drove an 07 Mustang GT (completely stock) over the weekend. This is the first S197 platform car that I have driven so far. Anyways, I wasn't impressed. The car really lacked the kick in the pants that the Mach offers. Honestly, I used to have a 92 LX 5.0 with bolt ons and I wouldn't trade that car for a new mustang gt straight up. I guess if your comparing the new GT's to earlier model GT's the new one is better but def. not the Mach.
Rustangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Re: Drove an 07 GT

It's a bigger car with a stiffer chassis that seems to "damp out" the feel of the pull somewhat.

The popular performance modifications (tune, CAI) can make a difference.

It's definitely a different feel than the SN-95 cars. Of course, the peak torque in the Mach engine is about 20 ft-lb more than those cars, so that makes a big difference in the "seat-of-the-pants" feel.

A Shelby GT would probably offer a driving feel closer to what is experienced in the Mach.
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
PayUpSuka

I drove an ex-friends 2006 GT and it felt like I was driving a Star Trek enterprise shuttle with extra inertia dampeners.
PayUpSuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #4
Five Oh B
Two-Time Mach 1 Owner

It took me a few years to warm up to the S197's. After owning my 03 Mach 1 for 3 years, I traded it for an 07 GT.

The Mach 1 feels like a real musclecar - raw, unbridled power with a definite powerband that you feel come on strong above 4,000 rpm's.

The S197's are so refined, by comparison. Bigger, plusher, and a smooth power delivery from the variable valve timing and charge motion control valves that flatten the power curve across the whole rpm range. The S197's feel much slower than a Mach 1, but in reality, all that technology is masking what the timeslip will say at your local drag strip. A must-have to wake an S197 up big-time is a tune and gears - then your butt-o-meter will know it's a fast car.

The Mach 1 is more visceral than an S197, but their actual straight line performance is quite similar (not equal, but closer than your butt-o-meter will register). The Mach 1 is much better at high speeds and around corners, though, and has much better braking than an S197 GT.

I, too, had a Fox body 5.0L LX ('89 hatchback). I bought mine brand new in March 1989. That car seemed wicked quick back then, but only ran low 14's in the 1/4 mile. I had a '68 Pontiac GTO at the same time I had the 5.0L LX that ran mid 13's in the 1/4 mile, but it didn't really feel faster than my 5.0L LX. Much like the mass and smoothness of power delivery in the S197's, my GTO was quite relaxed feeling even though it was the quicker of the two.
Five Oh B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:10 AM   #5
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

am i the only one who still thinks muscle cars should still act like muscle cars? i dont want a smooth quiet refined ride.

i want loud roaring power. a car that when you start you know that its made for 2 things. throwing you in that seat and melting rubber.

it pains me to see that the newer muscle cars are trying more and more to become "European" i say to the hell with that.

screw noise damping, screw soft suspension, and screw being quiet. give me something raw. give me somthing loud. give me a ****in mach 1.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
wutang61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM   #6
Tony Alonso
Mustang Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutang61 View Post
am i the only one who still thinks muscle cars should still act like muscle cars? i dont want a smooth quiet refined ride.
Yeah, you are the only one

Quote:
i want loud roaring power. a car that when you start you know that its made for 2 things. throwing you in that seat and melting rubber.

it pains me to see that the newer muscle cars are trying more and more to become "European" i say to the hell with that.

screw noise damping, screw soft suspension, and screw being quiet. give me something raw. give me somthing loud. give me a ****in mach 1.
All those things are really cool. All those things won't appeal to a larger market who buy these cars in the volumes necessary. Fortunately, the aftermarket (including what Ford now sells for the S197), can transform the Star Trek enterprise shuttle with extra inertia dampeners to something much different.

By the way, if you have $75,000 you can buy a Mustang FR500S, which no noise damping, a stout suspension, and is definitely not quiet!
VIN 388409, Built ??/??/????
Delivered 7/12/2019 w/122,696 miles
Tony Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:36 AM   #7
Mikestang
Parrot Head

I agree the GT is not the same car but as far as performance.. it does mask what its doing you need to look down at the speedo and say HoLY COW MAN i am doing 110 mph sure doesnt feel like I am moving that fast

while in the mach 1 you just know you are flying and you feel like you are moving fast.

Each car is significantly differnt than the other but really one will do things the other wont
03 MACH1 Torch Red #274 Built 11/14/02 Home 12/07/02 Payed off 09/17/07 MRT powershift, W\Hurst T-handle, Painted hood stripe, AFS 10.5 and 9.0 Crome Mach 1Wheels, Ford GT Coil Covers.
"If She had a set a wings, Man I know She could fly "
2011 Kona Blue Metalic Mustang GT Premium 5.0 Rolling on 19s
"2011 Will Be Known As The Year They Perfected The Mustang "
06 Victory Kingpin With more mods than I can list
http://home.roadrunner.com/~crazyhorse/
Mikestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Charles236

The same complaints of being too refined would also apply to the '03-'04 Mach 1, if you compared them to an older muscle car. Back in the day, my daily driver was a '69 Dodge with the 440 Six Pack. With the huge engine, very firm shifting automatic transmission, and 4.30 gears (stock was 4.10), it was a brute. It rode hard, was loud, as fast as a good '03-'04 Mach 1, but would not be a good daily driver for anyone except someone who lived for going to the drags and could only afford one car. I enjoyed that car, but being much older now, I would not want to give up the refinement of my Mach 1.
Charles236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:05 AM   #9
Mach1 EH
original owner

I enjoy these type of threads that compare various models of Mustangs.

Yet to drive an S197 model not because I haven't had the opportunity but more along the line of I just am not 'ready'. (more financially than anything else)
I've been VERY curious to experience the 'feel' behind the wheel of one but believe it is not a true comparison against the Mach 1.

The 'new' generation Mustang is built for the masses. Great appeal, look, style etc. and handling with a refinded 'adult' (for lack of a better word) presentation.

Mach 1 IMO is a 'limited' edition Mustang put together with some pretty good 'extra' parts lying around and a great gearing / tune (the kinda car that makes my bad day a good one with taking her out) / with a fully functional shaker hood. <-- I still LOVE MY SHAKER!!

I still - if only in my mind, say "Thanks Scott & to my wife who talked me into buying the car" when I sit behind the wheel of my Mach 1.

Thanks for the points of view.
2003 Mach1 DSG - original owner (1 of 1595) IUP, MGW black locking fuel door, sequential flashers, K&N, Mach1 scuff plates, ID tags, MRT shifter, Borla cat back, Steeda full length subframe connectors, 3pt STB, AFS black chrome Mach1 Heritage 17 x 9 & 17 x 10.5 shoes, MRT hood struts.
BIRTHDATE - 04/09/2003 ,<-- thx Donna

2012 Shelby GT500 Perf white, SVT PP (SVT Track Pack), Electronics Package, Borla exhaust
Mach1 EH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
ponygt65

Quote:

No....you're not.

I like the S197s. But I didn't and won't take one over a mach.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:20 AM   #11
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
No....you're not.

I like the S197s. But I didn't and won't take one over a mach.
not talking about the the general pubilc. im talking about ford chevy and dodge.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
ponygt65

Quote:
not talking about the the general pubilc. im talking about ford chevy and dodge.
I only took it as Ford Chevy Dodge. I was just adding my 2 cents on the S197. Tis all.

I agree with all that you said. Where's the fun in wondering at every stop light if your car is running because it's so darn quiet?

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #13
wutang61
CAT MASTA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
I only took it as Ford Chevy Dodge. I was just adding my 2 cents on the S197. Tis all.

I agree with all that you said. Where's the fun in wondering at every stop light if your car is running because it's so darn quiet?
yep.
Built 8.8,4.10's

441/402
Old 08-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #14
Firebreed05
Certified Goat Herder

Biggest issue I had with my 05 at first was that it felt like riding in a Lincoln. After putting some prothane motor mounts and a CAI/tune......the car at last "felt" like a Mustang should. The stock motor mounts have hydro-filled bushings that totally isolate the feel of the motor from the driver.

I agree with many of the posts here. The S197 from the factory doesn't seem to wow very many muscleheads. Too soft, too quiet, too civilized. And yea, it being a bigger car with a stiffer chassis does take alot of the seat of the pants feel away. I had to use my cruise control nonstop when I first had the car. When my music was turned up, I couldn't tell that I was doing 20 over the speed limit until I looked at the speedo. But a few modifications later, it was a proper American hammer horse.

Whatever they are off the factory floor, they are still a really good platform for someone looking for a DD..........or a hotrod project. But either way, a totally different animal from a Mach.