2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 05-30-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
swoop1156
Parked again...

Angry Head tick and steering TSB's -- Took it in and got laughed at...*UPDATE*

Well,

I took my car [2004, 5-speed] in for the head tick [that has been progressively getting worse] and for the steering noise. I had some BAD luck with the local Ford dealer in the area with them ragging on my car, so I went to the Mercury/Lincoln dealer, thinking they may respect my property a little more.

Anyway, I walk in there to be greeted. I explain that I have a concern for a "ticking noise coming from the engine". The advisor promptly tells me that it's a "Ford...Mustang, so it's going to make noise."

Great.

I explained that I knew it was a Mustang and that it's going to "make noise", whatever that is. I tell him that there is a commonly known problem with the heads having an audible "tick" that is subject, at times, to a TSB issued by Ford.

He goes off.

Tells me, in detail, what a TSB is, why they are made for and that they are for "Ford mechanics usage only" and are NOT available to the consumer.

I proceed to tell him that my father is a retiree from Ford Motor Company of 30+ years and that I most likely know more about any particular vehicle on their lot over them. I can dissect any one of my THREE vehicles -- two being Mustang's, and I can tell you what is wrong with them, how many were made, what colors, engines, transmissions, options.

He wasn't impressed.

I mean, for holy crap's sake it's only got 4,000 miles on it! ONE OIL CHANGE, still have the little nubs on the tires, come on!

Anyway, then I bring up the steering bushing noise, lol. He glares at me and writes it down. Then I ask him to re-aim my windshield washer nozzle and he just would rather smoke his head into the keyboard as of now.

He fills out the paperwork, I sign it and I tell them that I brought it to them as I hope they will treat my property better than the Ford Dealer across the street.

Whatever...

Here is my question for you all that have done this process... When they hand me back the car and tell me that "nothing is wrong", what is my next course of action? Do I take it back over and over? I don't want to create and have you guys read a thread like some of those on here with the words "complete engine failure" and stuff.

Any advice, because I know I'm gonna get played.

Thanks!

Last edited by swoop1156; 06-01-2007 at 04:32 PM.
swoop1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
swoop1156
Parked again...

Re: Head tick and steering TSB's -- Took it in and got laughed at...

Sorry, I will edit. It's a 2004.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:45 PM   #3
HotRod
I Love Being Blown!

Wink Re: Head tick and steering TSB's -- Took it in and got laughed at...

Im willing to bet that both Ford and Lincoln are owned by the same person.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #4
swoop1156
Parked again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod View Post
Im willing to bet that both Ford and Lincoln are owned by the same person.
I don't get it.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Screaming04
old timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop1156 View Post
I don't get it.
The two dealerships have probably have the same owner
Old 05-30-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
ricky bobby
mach everthing

That wouldn't suprise me at all.
accufab throttle body
c and L true flow intake tube
bassani catted x pipe
slp lm1 (after dyno)
steeda full lenth sfc
kb jacking rails matrix brace
steeda front back strut braces
** Update coming soon **
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 AM   #7
pdmustgt

I had a ford mechanic that worked at Napa on the weekends. Tell me what do you aspect you have 32 valves. Told him thats BS I'm mechanic/tech myself I know better than that. That type of respones is what I aspect what a parts changer would say not a real mechanic wouldn't want him working on my car. He just walked away after that ---f*cking a**hole.
It doesn't matter if you take you Ford to a Lincoln/Mercury dealer they use the same engine. 5.4 4v in nav, our mach1 engine is in the matador.

The steering bushing TSB I'm doing myself we had a blizzard in march wasn't able to take it up to Ford before 3yr warranty was up in march.
pdmustgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Shaker1
Living The Dream

If the situation there is anything like my dealer (who has been great, BTW), then they do not have much service work to keep them busy.

I might have told them they clearly had too much service work to be bothering with my warranty concerns and said, "have a nice day" as I drove off.

And as Bill was possibly leading up to, your 04 might already have the updated head design that is supposed to address the tick.

Last edited by Shaker1; 05-31-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Shaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:53 AM   #9
Shaker1
Living The Dream

Oh yeah, one more thing,

According to a major American automakers website:

"However, there are state and federal regulations that require all automotive manufacturers to provide Technical Service Bulletins to vehicle owners upon request. In addition, all TSB's are submitted to NHTSA, as required by law, where they become a matter of public record and will also be provided to vehicle owners upon request."

So, technically, what he told you is in violation of federal statutes! Have fun with that!
Old 05-31-2007, 04:35 AM   #10
rjw158

Swoop, Sounds like that advisors job should be washing used cars not dealing with people. Is there another dealership around that you could take your Mach to? It seems like all to often, once the car leaves the lot it's like tuff luck it's yours now.
rjw
rjw158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:30 AM   #11
swoop1156
Parked again...

Well, I hope to get an update today -- we'll see what happens.

Is there a way to see if I have an updated head design?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
Shaker1
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop1156 View Post
Well, I hope to get an update today -- we'll see what happens.

Is there a way to see if I have an updated head design?
Supposed to be blue paint on the head. Not sure everyone feels that it resolves the issue though! I've got a May 03 build and no unusual sounds, knock on wood. I believe the tick is thought to be due to poor cooling at the 7 & 8 cylinders that caused valve guide galling. It is a design issue. Do search you should find plenty of opinion and even some facts!
Old 05-31-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
chrome&paint

I have the tick as well....is this bad for my engine should I worry? How much does it generally cost to fix this? thanks
04 Mach 1 Azure Blue w/ IUP transgo shift kit 8K HID smoked projectors 8K HID smoked fogs c/f grill stealth license plate bracket black out tail lights side markers and 3rd brake light optima red top 20" SOLD
07 300C Inferno Red Lux Group II sunroof uconnect limo tint volant CAI, Stealth 93 CAI Tune
chrome&paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Manny32V

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome&paint View Post
I have the tick as well....is this bad for my engine should I worry? How much does it generally cost to fix this? thanks
ticks are nice. j/k ticks are anoying but i never seen an ohc specialy dohc engines that dont tick. but also the injectors tick
Eibach pro-launch spring, O/R Xpipe 2-1/2" magnaflow mufflers with dumps. motive 4.10 gears, Fidanza alumminum flywheel, CF Dual Friction clutch, Promotion PMP 750 3650 w/26 spline input shaft, Eation Limited Slip 31 spline dif, 31spline moser axles. c&l intake, diablo sport tunner, fordracing adj. lower control arms, steeda adjustable uppers. (NOS dry setup 125hp jet** Zex Bottle heater and Zex purge) mobile synteric motor oil. (MT- ET Streets 275/45/17)More to come!
Manny32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
TRXboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny32V View Post
ticks are nice. j/k ticks are anoying but i never seen an ohc specialy dohc engines that dont tick. but also the injectors tick
Exactly, People here that some of these engine have ticks and get all worried. These engines make ALOT of noise (32V's ='s ALOT of moving parts). When you have a head tick you will know it trust me, most of the time, it is the injectors.
TRXboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:07 AM   #16
pdmustgt

Both of my 04 mach1's ticked after coming up to full temp. I could be from that the cyl head is hotter on 7,8 cyl's. Alum grows more the hotter you get it.

Lost 1st 04 mach1 (blue) old woman ran into me. Got used 04 red mach1 with 4000 miles 3 weeks later. It feels like it has more power
Old 06-01-2007, 02:18 AM   #17
24kmach
My First Mach, Jan. 1969

My [04 build date 11/03] drivers side cylinder head was replaced[TSB] about a year ago. The tick is caused by the valve seats on 7 & 8 warping from over heating causeing the valves to stick thus the ticking. Headers were installed at that time. They help with cooling of 7 & 8. No noise in over a year.

Based in Kent, Washington, Pacific Cascade Mustang Club is the only original Mustang club in the Puget Sound Area and according to Mustang Club of America, we are the oldest in the nation.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 AM   #18
MCHNROL
original owner

Identified my left blue head as a sure thing with the transmission.
MCHNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
swoop1156
Parked again...

Visited the dealer today to see the car in shambles, lol.

I thought it was the passenger [left] head that had the issues, but I guess the left side of the motor is the drivers side, like standing behind it? Anyway, I took some pictures with my phone and I will try to get them hosted up here.

I have a question, though...

There is a white sticker on the front face of the head. It had a 5 7 2 on it as well as a bunch of letters arranged in a grid. It has a blue dot on it.

Does that mean I already have one of the redesigned heads? The engine guy at the dealer said he definitely heard something wrong in there and hence the repair -- but...?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 PM   #20
pdmustgt

I know of 2 mach1's and 1 cobra all 03's had the tick replaced the cyl heads and still had the ticking sound. I pretty sure sticking valves after 34,000 miles would have gotten far worst on my car it's not sticking valve. Sticking valves don't close they stay stuck open (aka pistons smack the valves meaning major engine failure).The ticking noise always been the same sound never has changed its from the alum head being hotter given the valve train more clearance on them 2 cyl's .