2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
rsnider

NBA... what a joke.

I can't believe that I am the only one who can see how the NBA controls the league? My dad told me a long time ago that "anything that involves a LOT of money is not being left to chance". I have watched with curiosity (I lost interest as a fan a long time ago) how the league has made it near impossible for the Phoenix Suns to do well in post season play. This weeks suspensions of two key players didn’t surprise me at all. After all Duncan was allowed to walk 20ft onto the court without penalty when a Spurs player ended up on the back of a Suns player after a dunk.

I kept checking back on the game but went to bed halfway though the 3rd quarter last night and my wife asked me who won. I told her it wasn't over but the Spurs were going to mount a furious comeback and win. At the time the Suns were up by ten. I am old enough to remember back in the 50's when people would get mad when you would tell them that "Big Time Wrestling" was all staged...

What a joke.
rsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:24 AM   #2
bryanthomas
Rock out w/ ur Mach out!

Re: NBA... what a joke.

I concur. I have never openly discussed my feeling about this with my friends because I thought I was just being paranoid or forming some kind of conspiracy theory in my own mind. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way about pro basketball.
-Flowmaster Catback
-H&R Super Sports
-AFS 17x9 & 17x10.5 MAC Black wheels (SOLD, but I'll put myself back in another.)

Single and lovin' it! :ORANGE:
bryanthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
sbrooks

the are doing it for LeBron also if he makes it to the championship it will bring in more money for the league
2004 Black Mach 1 IUP ,Build Date 21 April 04,, 5 Speed, MGW Shifter, SCT XCAL Tune ,Flowmasters, Mac catted H-Pipe, 4:10 Gears

98 Black Cobra, Build# 3154/5174, Flowmasters, MGW shifter, JLT RAI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sbrooks.gotstang.com

http://www.svtregistry.com/cobra/199...154/index.html
sbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
65fastback2+2
Too many cars to mod

eh i dunno....i watched the whole utah/houston match and houston lost...not cuz of any calls. Duncan also got thrown out of a game for I dunno what...Ive watched replays and cant see a reason why, so SA got their fair share of stupid calls. Im just not convinced its rigged.

Previous Rides:
2003 DSG Lightning, 486/586, 12.09@111.25
2007 F150 Lariat 4wd Screw
2004 OW Mach 1, auto, 1 of 179
2003 DSG Mach 1, 574 rwhp / 528 rwtq
2003 DSG Mach 1, 13.1 @ 109.1
1988 Mustang GT, stock
1967 TB Coupe, project
1965 Fastback 2+2, A-code
65fastback2+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
rsnider

As happens in Vegas, The "House" doesn't have to win every hand to be in control. Look at the incredible air time this whole mess has given the NBA. And if by some miracle Phonix should happen to win two games in a row the headlines, lead story, and internet sports will be talking about the incredible comeback for days. Attention, it's all about media hype.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #6
ylopony

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrooks View Post
the are doing it for LeBron also if he makes it to the championship it will bring in more money for the league
If it's rigged for Lebron(I doubt) then so be it. It's been since 1964 that the city of Cleveland has had any team win a championship. I was born in 64 and have not seen a championship in my life time in any sport.
ylopony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #7
ShebMach1

The NBA sucks, period, I'd rather watch highschool. Atleast the kids give it their all!
Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
MCHNROL
original owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShebMach1 View Post
The NBA sucks, period, I'd rather watch highschool. Atleast the kids give it their all!
yep. HS and College.
MCHNROL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 03:59 PM   #9
rsnider

Trying not to read too much "Black Helocopter" into this... but I gave up on college about ten years ago. I sat and watched three games in the NCAA tourney one Saturday. All three were come from behind wins at the buzzer. Now I may have been born yesterday, but it was early in the morning. Each one of those games were THE GAME that a college would talk about for the rest of their lives. But to have three of those buzzer beaters back to back to back... come on! I cannot think of a more subjective game on earth than basketball. Which means the ref's can favor a fast team, a physical team, a big team or a small team. The ref's mood on that day can make it nearly impossible for one of the teams to win. If the ref's around the country all got together and decided how the game was going to be played in the NBA, or NCAA and stuck to that style, that would be great. But that doesn't happen. Year after year the Pac 10 plays a fast break style with very little contact allowed. They go to the tourney and get beat up every year. We've all come to expect it on the west coast. Why don't the Pac 10 ref's call the game the same way as the Big East, or Big 10?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
MCHNROL
original owner

huh....Black Helicopter????? I like HS and College sports better because they are playing for achievement, pride and glory without the money motivator, which can change things up a bit.
I haven't followed the NBA since the mid/late-eighties Pistons vs. Lakers rivalry. There were quite a few great players to name. That was exciting!
Old 05-17-2007, 04:47 PM   #11
wigsite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylopony View Post
If it's rigged for Lebron(I doubt) then so be it. It's been since 1964 that the city of Cleveland has had any team win a championship. I was born in 64 and have not seen a championship in my life time in any sport.
Go CAVS.. I am also Cleveland born (Avon Lake) and I will take a championship anyway I can get it. I was sitting in the stands watching as Elway drove 98 yards in two minutes to kill my Super Bowl dreams. Jordan hitting his shot against Ehlo, Tribe one strike from the 1997 World Series. I need to go cry now.
Dyno tuned by CRT Performance
Pro 5.0 Power Tower shifter
best 1/4 12.62 @ 108.05 mph
313 RWHP..330 TQ
wigsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Well after tomorrow night all you SUNS fans can really start whinning cuz Nash and Company will be playing Golf!!!

Quit whinning!!!!!!!

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
71mach103

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigsite View Post
Go CAVS.. I am also Cleveland born (Avon Lake) and I will take a championship anyway I can get it. I was sitting in the stands watching as Elway drove 98 yards in two minutes to kill my Super Bowl dreams. Jordan hitting his shot against Ehlo, Tribe one strike from the 1997 World Series. I need to go cry now.
Sorry, but LOL.
71mach103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
rsnider

I fully expect the Spurs to continue kicking, kneeing, elbowing, tackeling and hacking their way towards an NBA championship. And that's ok as long as their next opponent is allowed to do the same.

As far as golf goes... at least there are no ref's and no comissioner.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnider View Post
I fully expect the Spurs to continue kicking, kneeing, elbowing, tackeling and hacking their way towards an NBA championship. And that's ok as long as their next opponent is allowed to do the same.

As far as golf goes... at least there are no ref's and no comissioner.
Like tha SUNS havent done any of that right.
Its funny the Spurs have always been considered one of the cleanest teams in the NBA but now all the sudden were the bad guys. Whatever.

BTW Phoenix has never won a series that was tied 2-2

Enjoy the off season

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
Old 05-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #16
machgsxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mk1 View Post
Like tha SUNS havent done any of that right.
Its funny the Spurs have always been considered one of the cleanest teams in the NBA but now all the sudden were the bad guys. Whatever.

BTW Phoenix has never won a series that was tied 2-2

Enjoy the off season
machgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #17
rsnider

You're barking up the wrong tree if you are looking for an argument. I can't and won't discuss NBA history with you. But I am not blind. I've watched Chernoble hack Nash's arm all the way down the court, I've watched Duncan hack the arms of Staudamire so hard the ball didn't even make it to the rim... no call.

You will remember that even the TV announcers were showing replays and making fun of the ref's in game four. They must have been given a talking to because there was none of it last night.

I'll repeat myself again... that's why I don't bother with getting excited about the NBA. I just find it funny that there are not more like me that can see through the BS.

P.S. "Its funny the Spurs have always been considered one of the cleanest teams in the NBA but now all the sudden were the bad guys. Whatever." You've got that correct. The hit on Steve Nash was clean, he didn't high stick or slash, it was a clean body check.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #18
Torchmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnider View Post
I can't believe that I am the only one who can see how the NBA controls the league? My dad told me a long time ago that "anything that involves a LOT of money is not being left to chance". I am old enough to remember back in the 50's when people would get mad when you would tell them that "Big Time Wrestling" was all staged...

What a joke.
Don't you know that the same is true in NASCAR. Big Secret..........The Cars are really controlled by giant Magnets under the surface of the Track.
Torchmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 01:12 AM   #19
MCHNROL
original owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchmach View Post
Don't you know that the same is true in NASCAR. Big Secret..........The Cars are really controlled by giant Magnets under the surface of the Track.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #20
ftctoolftc
SCS Bay Area Super Hero

Right now, San Antonio is probably the most hated team in America. They started out being a team everyone knew would be tough and get somewhere in the post season (and relatively appreciated), but they've benefited from cheap play and terrible decisions by the league. And the American fan base always roots for the underdog. But in no way, is the league staged.

If the NBA were staged, the Bulls would've beaten the Pistons, the Warriors would've beaten the Jazz, and Phoenix would beat San Antonio (which is still highly possible...).

I'm sorry, but David Stern did not want the Warriors to lose. They were a ratings magnet and a Suns vs Warriors series would've been ridiculously high ratings. Sure the Warriors would've lost, but it would've been exciting run and gun basketball. The way the Spurs, Pistons, and just about every eastern conference team plays is boring as hell. It's a snooze fest and isn't really helping the league publicity wise.

The Suns and Lebron James are all they have left right now. Honestly, if the Spurs win... it's going to be one of the most horrid and uninteresting conference and NBA finals EVER. Yay for defense, dirty plays, and a boring post up game.

- 2004 Oxford White Mach 1
- Mach 1 Fantasy Football Champ - 2005

Last edited by ftctoolftc; 05-18-2007 at 12:13 PM.
ftctoolftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #21
rsnider

"Staged" is too strong of a word for what goes on. That would seem to imply that the players were in on the sham. I don't think anyone would believe that. What my original thread was implying was that the league (Stern) makes decisions and rulings that make it more or less difficult for a team to be successful. Again, as in Vegas, the house holds the advantage. It is clear that a millionaire player isn't going to let themself be subjected to mega$$ fines by pointing out the horrible calls, and the media isn't going to slam the ref's because there is mega$$ in tv contracts.

As for NASCAR... any sanctioning body that can say to a team that is winning "You have an unfair advantage because of the outline of your car, so we are going to penalize you"... come on. If that isn't open and unabashed control of who can win and who is at a disadvantage I don't know what is. Now the question is how are they going to slow down the better teams with the "Car of tomorrow"? What kind of penalties are they going to impose on teams that keep winning?
Old 05-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #22
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

[QUOTE=rsnider;796750]"Staged" is too strong of a word for what goes on. That would seem to imply that the players were in on the sham. I don't think anyone would believe that. What my original thread was implying was that the league (Stern) makes decisions and rulings that make it more or less difficult for a team to be successful. Again, as in Vegas, the house holds the advantage. It is clear that a millionaire player isn't going to let themself be subjected to mega$$ fines by pointing out the horrible calls, and the media isn't going to slam the ref's because there is mega$$ in tv contracts.

So because the NBA enforced a clearly stated rule that the players coaches and everyone else is aware of they were out to get the Suns. Whatever, the rule is pretty simple any player that leaves the bench and steps on to the floor will be suspened simple. Stern and the NBA did nothing but enforce there rules as they should. Horry got 2 games but hey that is the rule so we live with it not make excuses about it. As for the calls the refs are humans and cant see or call everything and all the players complain, overall they (refs) do a good job imo so stop makeing excuses about the calls and the league being out to get your team.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
Old 05-18-2007, 11:01 AM   #23
rsnider

The "Clearly stated Rule" didn't seem to matter when Duncan was 20 ft out onto the court when a Spurs player came down on top of a Suns player?

The explanation of "altercation" is bs because there was no altercation between Stuadamire or Bell. They went straight for Nash. They didn't even look at Horrey.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #24
ftctoolftc
SCS Bay Area Super Hero

The NBA didn't seem to connect the dots in this instance and I'm sure you being a Spurs fan has narrowed your vision a little. But to the rest of the world, it was a completely out there, stupid call by David Stern.

- 2004 Oxford White Mach 1
- Mach 1 Fantasy Football Champ - 2005
ftctoolftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #25
beerformeplz
Roll Tide !

The still hae an NBA? Whos the next Jordan this year? I gave up on it awhile back when everytime a young player came in the league he was crowned the "next Jordan". That league is a bunch of overpaid thugs.