2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
DarkShadow
Oops...it's a GT500

Question to any LEO in the state of FL

I know an individual that got a speeding ticket in FL whe he was younger. He was on vacation at the time and is not a resident. It probably happened 10-15 years ago. He assumes the fine still stands and due to not paying he thinks there may be a warrant for his arrest in FL. Can someone please tell me how this works? How long are outstanding tickets/fines enforced. How should he go about clearing up a warrant under these circumstances?

Thanks,
DS

PS- And no, it's not me. I'd have just paid the silly ticket and been done with it at the time it happened.

Traded: 03 DSG 5 Spd, Slightly Procharged!!!
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #2
IZZY
Lidia...merely a dream.

Re: Question to any LEO in the state of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
I know an individual that got a speeding ticket in FL whe he was younger. He was on vacation at the time and is not a resident. It probably happened 10-15 years ago. He assumes the fine still stands and due to not paying he thinks there may be a warrant for his arrest in FL. Can someone please tell me how this works? How long are outstanding tickets/fines enforced. How should he go about clearing up a warrant under these circumstances?

Thanks,
DS

PS- And no, it's not me. I'd have just paid the silly ticket and been done with it at the time it happened.
Though years have passed, the fine my indeed still stand. In Florida, non-payment for a non-criminal moving violation will result in a drivers license suspension. Generally, this does not effect the non-resident violators license status or driving privilages within the state in which he holds a drivers license. Non-appearance for a criminal violation citaton (DUI, reckless driving, etc.) result in the issuance of a bench warrant for failure to appear. If the suspension is still active and he is pulled over in the state of Florida he will subject to arrest for driving with a suspended drivers license (not to be confused with a bench warrant). He should contact a drivers license bureau in the county in question to verify if he shows "in the system". If the summons is still in the system he would have to pay the fine (county court) and possible associated admin/reinstatement fees (drivers license bureau). After paying the fine, he would have to show proof of payment (from the county court) to the DL bureau, so the suspension could be cleared from the computers. Good luck.
IZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
machowner

What was his reason for not paying?
1995 F-150 4x4, 5.0, duals, custom interior
machowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
DarkShadow
Oops...it's a GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by machowner View Post
What was his reason for not paying?
Cuz he's a moron and siad F**k it, why should I pay it if I don't live there and probably will never be caught for it.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
DarkShadow
Oops...it's a GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY View Post
Though years have passed, the fine my indeed still stand. In Florida, non-payment for a non-criminal moving violation will result in a drivers license suspension. Generally, this does not effect the non-resident violators license status or driving privilages within the state in which he holds a drivers license. Non-appearance for a criminal violation citaton (DUI, reckless driving, etc.) result in the issuance of a bench warrant for failure to appear. If the suspension is still active and he is pulled over in the state of Florida he will subject to arrest for driving with a suspended drivers license (not to be confused with a bench warrant). He should contact a drivers license bureau in the county in question to verify if he shows "in the system". If the summons is still in the system he would have to pay the fine (county court) and possible associated admin/reinstatement fees (drivers license bureau). After paying the fine, he would have to show proof of payment (from the county court) to the DL bureau, so the suspension could be cleared from the computers. Good luck.
I ask because we will be vacationing in FL sometime soon. I have a rental car all lined up, a 2007 Shelby GT350-H to be exact It would be nice to have him as a secondary driver but he is afraid that when they check your driving history at the time of rental he will get busted and possibly thrown in jail. Or he may get busted if he gets pulled over for whatever reason. I just want to know what may happen to him for not paying a silly speeding ticket after all these years. I don't want to have to do all the driving and would rather he clear this up before vacation time. He does have a valid drivers license in the state of MA. Is he still legal to drive in FL in light of this prior infraction? Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

DS

Old 11-03-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
IZZY
Lidia...merely a dream.

Quote:
I ask because we will be vacationing in FL sometime soon. I have a rental car all lined up, a 2007 Shelby GT350-H to be exact It would be nice to have him as a secondary driver but he is afraid that when they check your driving history at the time of rental he will get busted and possibly thrown in jail. Or he may get busted if he gets pulled over for whatever reason. I just want to know what may happen to him for not paying a silly speeding ticket after all these years. I don't want to have to do all the driving and would rather he clear this up before vacation time. He does have a valid drivers license in the state of MA. Is he still legal to drive in FL in light of this prior infraction? Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

DS
Driving with a suspension in the system could lead to a DWLS arrest. In Florida, the option to either write a traffic summons for DWLS (a criminal traffic offense) or direct arrest for DWLS rests with the law enforcement officer making the traffic stop. More often than not, the driver is taken into custody and must post bond at the county holding facility. Now, if he has a bench warrant he need not drive to be arrested (he can be a passenger or walking down the street for that matter). If he comes back a "hit" he's done for the day. You did not mention what state he was licensed to drive in (if any at all) when he received the citation. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that he held an out-of-state drivers license since there is but mention of the speeding violation. Typically, those that fail to pay are automatically issued a Florida drivers license/ID number and that # reflects suspended. The driver license he held at the time would be cross referenced. However, if the citation is an active suspension all that is required is a name and DOB to come back with "hit" info on a DL. Regardless of his valid MA DL, he would be subject to arrest in FL because his privileges to drive here would be revoked. It would be unwise to drive here until the matter is cleared.
IZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
DarkShadow
Oops...it's a GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZZY View Post
Driving with a suspension in the system could lead to a DWLS arrest. In Florida, the option to either write a traffic summons for DWLS (a criminal traffic offense) or direct arrest for DWLS rests with the law enforcement officer making the traffic stop. More often than not, the driver is taken into custody and must post bond at the county holding facility. Now, if he has a bench warrant he need not drive to be arrested (he can be a passenger or walking down the street for that matter). If he comes back a "hit" he's done for the day. You did not mention what state he was licensed to drive in (if any at all) when he received the citation. I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that he held an out-of-state drivers license since there is but mention of the speeding violation. Typically, those that fail to pay are automatically issued a Florida drivers license/ID number and that # reflects suspended. The driver license he held at the time would be cross referenced. However, if the citation is an active suspension all that is required is a name and DOB to come back with "hit" info on a DL. Regardless of his valid MA DL, he would be subject to arrest in FL because his privileges to drive here would be revoked. It would be unwise to drive here until the matter is cleared.
What is the easiest and fastest way to clear this up before we get there. Is there a court office in FL that he could call and pay by credit card. I'd rather not have to bail his sorry a$$ out of jail when we are supposed to be having a fun vacation.

DS

Old 11-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #8
68Coupe

PA a ticket will stand for 2 years. If it is not paid in that timeframe it is withdrawn. Not sure if I would worry about it after 10 years.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
FloridaOrange
SCS Homie

Quote:
What is the easiest and fastest way to clear this up before we get there. Is there a court office in FL that he could call and pay by credit card. I'd rather not have to bail his sorry a$$ out of jail when we are supposed to be having a fun vacation.

DS
You should be able to call the clerk of courts in that county to at least find out if you can pay over the phone. BEWARE if they tell you that you have to pay in person, they may just lure your buddy in so they can arrest him.

Typically if you don't pay or show up in court they issue a bench warrant. Don't know about any statue of limitations on it though.
FloridaOrange is offline   Reply With Quote