2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

What dog should I get?

So I am looking into getting a dog. Let me first start off with some info for you, so you know where I am coming from.

I live in Tulsa, OK, climate consitis of this, per online resources:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Tulsa-Oklahoma.html (scroll down on the page)

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...klahoma/tulsa/

I own a house with my GF (hopefully soon to be wife). Our house is almost 2100 sq. feet inside, and my yard would be classified as medium to small, but it is fenced in. We are active people, i.e. we mountain bike every night after work, so walking or running a dog wouldn't be a problem. She (we) have a pure bred Persian cat, that weighs about 14 lbs, so he isn't small, nor fat. We have no children as of yet.

I was looking into getting a dog because I have always wanted one, but wouldn't allow myself to get one until I got into a house, so they dog could have a yard to roam in and have more interior space as well. I just didn't see it as right to own a dog while living in an apartment.

I want a dog that is primarily indoor, but can be left outdoors if needed. I am looking for a dog that is protective of family, but will also be fun at heart, friendly to it's known "good list" (i.e. not strangers). One that will have energy, but not too much. I want a dog that won't bother or kill our cat as well, because right now he is king of the castle. I want a dog that is low maintanence in the grooming area. One that can be trained to protect and to do things easily. One that will be good with children in the future as we have none right now.

I was looking at the German Pinscher, but that dog is too small for my tastes. The I was looking at German Shepherd, but I think that breed may require more grooming than I am looking for, and doesn't have my desired appearance either due to its long coat. I was then looking at a Boxer, that that breed may be too rambunctious, i.e. may have too much energy for my tastes as well. I then was looking at a Doberman, and that seems to meet all my requirements. I want a dog that can be primarily indoors, but can be left outdoors if needed (my yard is fenced); that will not bother or kill our cat (indoor cat only); that will be protective, but affectionate; that will be easily trained and obedient; that will be good with children (in the future); and that is mean looking (has good visible muscular structure, not a fluff dog or foo-foo Paris Hilton dog or small dog, none of those will fancy my tastes) like a Rott or Pit, but not turn on anyone; hence why I was looking at a Boxer, German Pinscher, German Shepherd, and Doberman.

Anyone have any suggestions? Did I make the right breed choice for my requirements in choosing a Doberman?
Build #2224 of 8394
Born: 08/19/02
Mods: nothing worth noting... right now

Jamie: custom pedal mountain bike built by me
Bettie: 2004 Black Mach 1 (sold but not forgotten)
OSUALUM78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
Mach 1 mania

Re: What dog should I get?

i have a boxer and Love it
Mach 1 mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach 1 mania
i have a boxer and Love it
Me too.
He is inside primarily and has a great personality. They are very good people dogs and they bond with there family very strongly.

I cant think of another dog outside of German Shepards Ive owned that was any better of a companion.

Also dont tlet the short hair fool ya you still gotta groom um its just harder to see all the hair they shed cuz its short but they shad alot trust me. I have all wood/tile in my house and it shows up big time on the floor.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mk1
Me too.
He is inside primarily and has a great personality. They are very good people dogs and they bond with there family very strongly.

I cant think of another dog outside of German Shepards Ive owned that was any better of a companion.

Also dont tlet the short hair fool ya you still gotta groom um its just harder to see all the hair they shed cuz its short but they shad alot trust me. I have all wood/tile in my house and it shows up big time on the floor.
but less dander with short hair = less allergy issues with me

Any agree a Doberman would be better for me?

I am still liking my choice of Doberman, a Boxer is my second choice right now
Build #2224 of 8394

Old 07-12-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
machfelon
Jersey's Phinest

German Shepherd... Had em all my life except for one collie.... Short hair shepherd not hard to groom at all....

pics of my short hair shepherd

2007 GT Premium, 5 Speed

BestStang
machfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
threefitydotcom

Try to get one from a pet adoption. Both my dogs were adopted and i LOVE them. AMAZING dogs that got a great home.
Black 18" Saleen Wheels
CobraBob's Shifter Gasket Set
FRPP 4.10 Gears
K&N Aircharger Intake
Magnaflow Catback
PHP Intake Spacer
Pro 5.0 Shifter
VMP Tuning Custom Tune
Steeda Sport Springs
Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks

Pictures - www.threefity.com

Best run (stock) : 13.81 at 103.27
12/05/06 - 13.07 at 108.45 w/ 2.0 60ft

Vehicles :
03 Black Mustang Mach 1 (Fun / Project Car)
94 Red BMW 318i (Daily Driver)
threefitydotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
lisaz28
Here's Tanner...

Rottweiler, Rottweiler, Rottweiler!

Awesome dogs. Laid back but can be protective of family. We are on our third and they are the smartest most amazing dogs out there. They do need a purpose and walking them every night would fit right in.

I knew a man who had a full grown male Rottweiler and later had 2 children (girls). Brought them home from the hospital and the dog loved them right off the bat.

If you have proper shade in your backyard and plenty of water, this would work well. Just remember that any dog needs to be incorporated into the family as a member of the family, not just left out in the backyard.

2010 Camaro 2SS, Victory Red, 6 speed
Magna Flow Exhaust (dealer installed) SOLD

2007 Red Ninja 250 SOLD

2002 Red Z28, t-tops, 6 speed SOLD
Mods: Lid and Holley Air Filter, 4.10 Gears, Y-Pipe, Magna Flow Exhaust, bypass pipes, ported TB, ET Streets
Best times:
12.272 in 1/4 @ 113.87 mph (1/16/05)
7.919 in 1/8 @ 88.52 mph (1/16/05)

<><
lisaz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #8
BlueEyedGirl
Paint it Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by threefitydotcom
Try to get one from a pet adoption. Both my dogs were adopted and i LOVE them. AMAZING dogs that got a great home.
That is awesome..wish more people adopted/rescued pets
BlueEyedGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 PM   #9
crtbones
Mach1Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyedGirl
That is awesome..wish more people adopted/rescued pets
i love huskys and sheperds, i happend to find this combo "mutt" at a local adoption/rescued clinic. i was lucky,VERY smart,protective,great w/kids and ever makes a mess or breaks things in house. gl
crtbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Vic229
1 Bad A$$ Blue Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz28
Rottweiler, Rottweiler, Rottweiler!

Intercooled KB 1.7 / VT Block / FR500 Cam Kit / Promotion 3650 / AND OTHER GO FAST GOODIES

450 HP / 400 TQ at 8psi

Corner Carver Not A Drag Queen
Vic229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
PhillyMach1

English Bulldog

MGW shifter
SLP Loudmouth and Catted Prochamber
PHP Intake Spacer
JLT CAI
Coming soon:
Built rear
PhillyMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
b3warnick

Mutt. Mom and Dad always had mutts with few exceptions. I am partial to pound puppies myself. My wife and I adopted a 30 lb mutt from a German pound when stationed there...Sheba lived to about 17....she was smart as a whip.

Current mutt, Bandit is about 20 lbs...pretty little dog, and smart as a whip as well.

Also...if you want a bigger dog..most of my friends that like the larger breeds love their Labs and Retrievers. Gentle, loyal and smart.
b3warnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #13
marycorend

labs are way too hyper until they get to be 3 or 4.

My brother has a rott that is the best behaved dog I've ever seen. (That could be b/c my mom trained him and I have the same voice inflection as her.) He's also friendly to those he knows and very protective. A guy friend was teasing my sister and she didn't like it and Chance got in b/t them and promptly let the guy know that wasn't cool.
marycorend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #14
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

True less dander. Dobies are nice But I have heard they can be kinda 1 person dogs.
I would go with the Boxer and not just cuz I have one either they are truly great dogs.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4mk1
True less dander. Dobies are nice But I have heard they can be kinda 1 person dogs.
I would go with the Boxer and not just cuz I have one either they are truly great dogs.
In reference to your statement of a Doberman being a 1 person dog, see here: http://www.qualitydogs.com/Doberman/information.html

thanks for your reply lisaz28 and vic229 and others regarding a Rott, but a Rott is out of the question. I have heard too many horror stories of Rotts turning on their owners.

I am questioning a German Shepherds as one of my options, but a Husky is out crtbones. I think it is too hot here during summers to have a long coat dog, reason on why I am questioning a Shepherd, as well as dander allergy issues, as it may need to stay out in my backyard.

As far a Lab or Retriever, I would love one of those, but again the long coat issue arises, and I really wouldn't be using the dog for it's intended breded purpose, as I don't hunt, nor do any kind of water sports. Plus the full grown size of those breeds maybe too big for my tastes.

To all that state rescuing a dog from the pound or shelter is a good thing, I agree, but my second dog will be a rescued dog.

PhillyMach, a bulldog is too small for my tastes.

This is why I am narrowed down to a Doberman, then Boxer, then Shepherd
Build #2224 of 8394

Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #16
mmustangsrus
res. crazy hottie poster

black labs F.T.W !!!!!!

03-black cobra R.I.P.
03-azure blue mach 1 born on 3-11-03 gone but not forgotten
black 03 cobra vert. SVT 10th anniv. ,95 DARK GREEN GT
if your worried about fuel economy,buy a honda. just think about whats more important to you. saving a few bucks at the pump, or driving around with a boner
mmustangsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmustangsrus
black labs F.T.W !!!!!!
see my reply, post # 15 about Labs and Retrievers
Build #2224 of 8394

Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #18
Steeler

I can't talk about all the breeds mentioned here. The two I can are German Shepards and Rottweilers. I agree with Machfelon, German Shepards are the way too go. Yes, you'll spend alot of time grooming as they are heavy shedders. But thats one of the great things about owning a dog. Spending time with him/her. Believe me you'll never have a more dependable, loyal, and protective member of your family than a German Shepard.

Rotties are another story. Both have similar traits. But I find that Rotties are little more harder to train than a Shepard. Not a big deal when someone has the experience training these types of dogs. But personally I wouldn't ever recommend a Rottie to a first time dog owner.

Before making your final choice, head over to your nearest Barnes and Noble or other bookstore chain, and pick up a book about the breed of your interest. They will steer you in the right direction, helping you decide if the breed is a right choice for you.

1968 Dart GTS 340
Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:56 PM   #19
machfelon
Jersey's Phinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by machfelon

GERMAN SHEPHERD

How can you resist that face.... Shes a female and beats up on my 120 pound male shepherd....

2007 GT Premium, 5 Speed

BestStang
machfelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #20
birdman941
Torque wins!

A mutt.
Friendlier than many pure breds.

5.4 32V NA
Streetable 404/387 26.56 MPG

"I don't like repeat offenders,
I like DEAD offenders" Ted Nugent

"A big engine hardly working is more efficient
than a little engine screaming its head off" Jay Leno
birdman941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:36 PM   #21
04VAMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUALUM78
see my reply, post # 15 about Labs and Retrievers
Labs are short-haired (Golden Retrievers are long-haired) and are generally smaller than Dobies. They do make excellent household pets.

The key to owning any breed is the time you spend training the dog. All dogs are trainable, but some are more receptive to training than others. I'm afraid that you may find a Dobie to be quite a challenge to train. Check here for some info about their temperament. They can be great dogs, but it's all in how they are handled. Check around on that site...it has some pretty good info about Dobies
04VAMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:07 PM   #22
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04VAMach1
Labs are short-haired (Golden Retrievers are long-haired) and are generally smaller than Dobies. They do make excellent household pets.

The key to owning any breed is the time you spend training the dog. All dogs are trainable, but some are more receptive to training than others. I'm afraid that you may find a Dobie to be quite a challenge to train. Check here for some info about their temperament. They can be great dogs, but it's all in how they are handled. Check around on that site...it has some pretty good info about Dobies
thanks for the reply and link. I checked out that site for a few hours today, but I didn't see that page
Build #2224 of 8394

Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM   #23
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04VAMach1

My main point was, a Lab, just as much as a Retriever, isn't the type of dog I am looking for in theory of the dog bred purpose. But a Lab is not off my list, it is just not near the top right now. Lab vs. Doberman, according to qualitydogs.com

Lab:
Recognized by: AKC
Country of Origin: Great Britain/Canada
Life Expectancy: 11 - 13 yrs
Height Range: 21.5 - 23.5 in
Weight Range: 55 - 75 lbs
Colors: Black, chocolate, or yellow
Parent Club: LRC
Trainability: High; great for canine sports or obedience
With Children: Excellent; older puppies can be too boisterous for toddlers
With Animals: Good
Climate: Tolerates cold well
Indoor / Outdoor: Can be either, but needs plenty of outdoor time and interaction
Exercise Reqd: High; love play, exercise, and swimming
Grooming Reqd: Low; light brushing occasionally

Doberman:
Recognized by: AKC
Country of Origin: Germany
Life Expectancy: 12 - 14 yrs
Height Range: 25 - 27 in
Weight Range: 66 - 88 lbs
Colors: Fawn, blue, brown, or black, with rust markings
Parent Club: DPCA
Trainability: High
With Children: Good with older behaved children
With Animals: Pretty good; tends to be bossy
Climate: Tolerates heat well
Indoor / Outdoor: Can be indoor, but must have outdoor time in fenced yard
Exercise Reqd: High. Needs frequent exercise, including running
Grooming Reqd: Low
Build #2224 of 8394

Old 07-12-2006, 11:25 PM   #24
OSUALUM78
2003 Black Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler
I can't talk about all the breeds mentioned here. The two I can are German Shepards and Rottweilers. I agree with Machfelon, German Shepards are the way too go. Yes, you'll spend alot of time grooming as they are heavy shedders. But thats one of the great things about owning a dog. Spending time with him/her. Believe me you'll never have a more dependable, loyal, and protective member of your family than a German Shepard.

Rotties are another story. Both have similar traits. But I find that Rotties are little more harder to train than a Shepard. Not a big deal when someone has the experience training these types of dogs. But personally I wouldn't ever recommend a Rottie to a first time dog owner.

Before making your final choice, head over to your nearest Barnes and Noble or other bookstore chain, and pick up a book about the breed of your interest. They will steer you in the right direction, helping you decide if the breed is a right choice for you.

Heavy shedding, i.e. visible shedding, cause all dogs could be considered shedders, or heavy shedders; is a reason of my one negative of the Shepherd. I understand that is part of being and owner, and grooming is part of your quality time with your dog, but my allergies will not allow for long hair due to higher dander factor than short hair.

Take for example, my GF's cat, i.e. my cat as well, since I claim him too. He is a Persian, and with full grown furr out he looks likes this:

but since we moved into our house, he now always sports this cut due to my allergies:

which isn't cheap to do, because he has to be sedated everytime, he gets his cut about once every 3-4 months

Thought about picking up a book on dogs in general and the specific breeds I am looking at, but not from Barnes & not Noble. I try to shop mom and pop stores. I've actually been trying to do all my research online as it is free and more conveinent.
Build #2224 of 8394

Old 07-12-2006, 11:40 PM   #25
Iamchris

Breed Name Tested Passed Failed Percent

AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER 515 430 85 83.5%
STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER 59 50 9 84.7%
AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER 503 419 84 83.3%
BULL TERRIER 55 50 5 90.9%

BOXER 352 298 54 84.7%
BULLDOG 123 84 39 68.3%
DOBERMAN PINSCHER 1438 1,104 334 76.8%
GERMAN PINSCHER 6 5 1 83.3%
GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG 2786 2,316 470 83.1%
ROTTWEILER 4650 3,834 816 82.5%

The top four rows are "pitbulls", they are rated just as well as most other breeds. Pitbull is one of many breeds derived from the "Bull and Terrier" group, breed from the "bull dog" and now extinct english (black & tan)(white) terrier.
The name pitbull was actually gained from the sport of ratting, where the dog would be put in a PIT of rats. These breeds were chosen for the bull dogs strength, endurance and high threshold for pain, while the terrier brought agility, alertness, and extreme tenacity.
Beyond their fame as a "canine gladiator", they became reknown for there extreme obedience, loyalty and that it would never give up, just to please its owner.
Dog baiting eventually died out, and the breed came to America with the settlers, where it made it new home, and became the most popular dog of the time.
They are a product of negative stigma based on misunderstanding, yet were at one time considered the American family dog... that every child should have one.
Here is a site for you; http://www.pitbullregistry.com/Pit%20Bull%20History.htm

Just because some degenerate idiots get ahold of them and smear thier image, doesn't make them bad. evil, or prone to violence. It makes them victim, just like any other dog could be.
I would suggest you do not buy any dog which has been handled ny unregistered breeders. The reason for this is the very nature of dog breeding. You CAN breed agression into animals, or even breed the "breed" right out of them. Registered breeders only breed dogs which show typical traits of the breed, appearance and character.
Iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote