2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results

Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results Questions, experiences & results for electronic tuning and dyno tests

Old 10-16-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Ricksterman

Serious issues with Predator tune and running LEAN!

Ok, I had my Magnaflow cat-back put in today, and was going to do some dynotuning afterward. Before I get into the problem, I'll give some background.

I have a KN Aircharger, PHP intake spacer and underdrive pulleys, and with Diablo tune (Predator), and timing advanced 10% my numbers were:

286HP 310TQ, A/F 13.0 flat, and max timing about 19-17 from 4-6K (not great but I can live with it).

After the cat-back my A/F was 14-15! and of course we couldn't do a full pull.

No matter what I did to the fuel at 2-4 or 4-7K, the A/F would not go below 14, and that was at the 0 setting, richening it up only made it worse???? (and yes I tried leaning it out incase something was backward)

Finally I put the factory tune back in, and viola A/F 13.0 flat and short term fuel is at less then 1% (both banks) WOT 6400 RPM.

I gained 1 HP from putting in 10% advance at this point, and the advance was 20-17 WOT 4-6 (wow even better than the Diablo tune).

I emailed their tech support which have been good so far, but this is really a warning to everyone here who may mod without checking results, if I had just bolted on the cat-back witht the Diablo tune, I very well could be posting another thread "BLOWN MOTOR".

I have gotten excellent advice and suggestions from people here, if anyone can think of why the predator was not adjusting squat let me know (v50a btw).

Oh yeah with the factory tune and the mods the final pull (nice and hot after 10+pulls in an hour and half): 292HP 315TQ.

Last edited by Ricksterman; 10-16-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Ricksterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:28 PM   #2
Shaunheb
12 second club!

I had the same thing happen to me. We did one pull with the factory tune and the car made 305rwhp, the next 5 pulls they did with the predator we never managed to get over 287rwhp no matter what was adjusted. almost nothing changed. So the guy doing the tune finally called the predator people for some help. What ended up happening is we found out that we had the wrong program in the pred. and that we needed the update. we hooked the thing up and downloaded the new program and walla the car started to respond. Not sure if this will help but just my experince.Also i was told when I purchased it that the pred was the updated version , and that turnd out to be a lie.
K&N filter
strut tower brace
Slp loud mouth w/offroad x pipe
steeda underdrive pulleys
Superior 31 spline axles
4:10's
Torsen Diff.
PHP intake spacer
Diablo predator
3/4 shaker extension
Raptor Shift light
26x10.5x15 ET Street's
Best ET:12.713 @ 106.867
I'm all out a money wait....but not credit! Whats next! Oh No, nothings next I'm all out of credit too.....
Shaunheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Ricksterman

Good point, but without the cat-back the Diablo tune added 5 HP (mostly from leaing out the A/F from 12.5 to 13.0), which makes me wonder if that is the problem here, did you see the software version on yours when it was the wrong program? Mine says v50a, so I assume it's correct...
Old 10-16-2004, 09:15 PM   #4
TicketRed03

Is the v50a the most up-to-date version that is out there?

PERFORMANCE:
Magnaflow cat-back
MRT short throw shifter
K&N AirCharger
MRT Catted H-pipe

APPEARANCE:
MGW-cigarette lighter
MGW-e-brake handle
MGW-A/C knobs
MRT Street Performance Springs
TicketRed03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 10:23 PM   #5
Ricksterman

No the r50b is, and I dl it into the predator a while ago, unless Diablo has other suggestions I will try to dynotune with the updated calibration, and see if anything improves. I'm not unhappy with where the car is now (stock tune essentially), but I paid over 300 for the Predator and I thought I was getting more than a datalogger....
Old 10-17-2004, 01:11 AM   #6
pthornton

How long did you drive the car between the install of the exhaust parts and the dyno time? When you make a change to the car, the air fuel ratio can swing wildly from one extreme to the other before it "learns" the new setup. Clearing the memory of the computer when making changes can lessen this, but it still can swing. I would make sure you have several hours of driving at a minimum before making adjustments. Reloading the stock tune probably reset the memory.

Randy
1989 Saleen Coupe
http://www.mysaleens.com/
pthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 01:28 AM   #7
ShakeMe

This graph is from my Mach using a dry nitrous setup and 100/60 pills. I maxed out the fuel to 40% rich and with the 60 pill, A/F still shot off the chart(over 18:1).

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
Ricksterman

There was no time between cat-back install and dyno, but with A/F at WOT at 15, I wasn't going to be driving it anywhere, too risky for me. Putting in the stock tune brought the A/F down to a flat 13. If I can I will go back to the dyno next week and see what the computer is doing (i.e. richening or leaning it out). An interesting point is that stock the A/F was 13.7 to 13.5, so with a few days driving I'll see how the computer is adjusting.