2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 07-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

Thinking of changing exhaust again.

I have been thinking over my exhaust again as I am not as happy as I would like to be with the sound.

When I had the Stock Manifolds, Magnaflow Catted X-pipe with the SLP Loudmouths it was a great sound to me.

I then installed the BBK Longtube Headers and their Catted H-pipe.
It only sounds good at WOT to me. I would like to have that Magnaflow/SLP sound back but feel with the longtubes it’s not possible.

Also during my research of longtubes I found articles that said the Cats were too far back in the system to work properly but I really wanted to stay with cats since they do help clean up the pollution.

So now, I am wondering if any of you has used another brand of X-pipe with your BBK Longtubes besides the BBK X-pipe. I also think the design of the BBK X-pipe is too similar to an H-pipe design and their X-pipe might not sound that much different than their H-pipe.

I’m thinking of ditching the Cats too and going with an off-road X-pipe but I really think the Magnaflow style X-pipe will give me more of the sound I want over the BBK style.

You guys running the off-road pipes are you turning off the rear 02 sensors with a tuner? I have the original first run Diablosport Predator with the latest updates so I think I can do that with what I have and not have to invest in another. Also, you guys running the off-road pipes do you plug the 02 sensor bongs and tie off the harnesses?

I’m thinking with the off-road X-pipe that the decibels will be increased significantly and I will probably have to replace the Loudmouths with something a little mellower. Anybody have the BBK Longtubes, Off-road X-pipe and Loudmouths? If so what is your opinion of it?

Any opinions and/or assistance will be appreciated! Thanks!

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #2
311-420
Can't be bridled

Re: Thinking of changing exhaust again.

Longtubes with an o/r x and slp's will be too much imo. Like a truck with glass packs (essentially what slp 1's and 2's are). Without having to customize a magnaflow x to fit with the BBK headers, I'd try the BBK catted x. It'll still be really loud but not as blatty as an o/r pipe would be with slp's. If you want to use an o/r x then I recommend a full sized muffler like a magnaflow, borla touring or slp powerflo muffler to smooth it out and knock most of the rasp off.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #3
SuperMach1
Never Satisfied

I've had BBk LT's, UPR O/R x pipe, and super 44's I think it had a good sound to it. I later switched to 3" o/r x pipe with Pypes M-80 mufflers but it was to raspy for my taste so I switched to 3" Mac flowpath mufflers. I soon will be changing my setup again, for the 7th time
BBK LT's w/ 3in Collector
Custom 3in X-Pipe
Custom 3in CB w/ Pypes 3in M-80's
Built Rear w/ 4:10
415/383
PB 11.80, @ 119 with a 1.71 60ft
Tuned by http://www.southtexasperformance.com/

Built WAP Block, 10.5:1 compression, 14psi, E-85 Coming soon.
SuperMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMach1 View Post
I've had BBk LT's, UPR O/R x pipe, and super 44's I think it had a good sound to it. I later switched to 3" o/r x pipe with Pypes M-80 mufflers but it was to raspy for my taste so I switched to 3" Mac flowpath mufflers. I soon will be changing my setup again, for the 7th time
Did you have to modify the UPR x-pipe?

Yeah, this will be my 5th time, I'd love to have the sound that the stock Exhaust Manifolds, Magnaflow Catted X and SLP's gave me.

Best sounding "Truck" I have ever had!!

I don't think I can get it with the BBK Long Tubes though, but would like to get close.

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
SuperMach1
Never Satisfied

Yes I had the muffler shop cut the UPR pipe to fit. Try a prochamber with the SLP's, I've heard that setup on an 01 cobra it had an awesome tone and I'm not a fan of the LM1's. My next setup is going to be an Accufab O/R h-pipe and I'm going back to Pypes M-80s.
BBK LT's w/ 3in Collector
Custom 3in X-Pipe
Custom 3in CB w/ Pypes 3in M-80's
Built Rear w/ 4:10
415/383
PB 11.80, @ 119 with a 1.71 60ft
Tuned by http://www.southtexasperformance.com/

Built WAP Block, 10.5:1 compression, 14psi, E-85 Coming soon.
SuperMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote