2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
whammy91

Tru-cool trans cooler 40k. Help

I bought the trans cooler from circle D. I've read that this is the trans cooler to get. So I got it. Mounted it in front by the lower grill that way it gets good air. Now I've notice my trans gets hotter when it should stay cooler. I drove it for about 1hr and it got up to 250 degrees. I have a trans temp guage. Before I did the trans cooler maybe the highest it ever went up was like 220. But this trans cooler make it climb faster. It has been kinda hot here lately but I still find that odd. Also when I installed it. I left 1 line open and pump trans fluid in the other end of the cooler till it flows out the other end that way the cooler alone is full of trans fluid. Any help with the people that are also running this trans cooler.
whammy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Mustang9668
saving pennies

Re: Tru-cool trans cooler 40k. Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammy91 View Post
I bought the trans cooler from circle D. I've read that this is the trans cooler to get. So I got it. Mounted it in front by the lower grill that way it gets good air. Now I've notice my trans gets hotter when it should stay cooler. I drove it for about 1hr and it got up to 250 degrees. I have a trans temp guage. Before I did the trans cooler maybe the highest it ever went up was like 220. But this trans cooler make it climb faster. It has been kinda hot here lately but I still find that odd. Also when I installed it. I left 1 line open and pump trans fluid in the other end of the cooler till it flows out the other end that way the cooler alone is full of trans fluid. Any help with the people that are also running this trans cooler.
You've definitely got a problem somewhere. I have that exact trans cooler and even when I had the big 4000 stall converter my temps never went over 180. Most of the time it was down around 130 degrees. Not sure where the problem is exactly, but with temps that high I'd be concerned about whether fluid was flowing through it at all.

03 Cobra--18x9/10.5 TSW Nurburgring Wheels, Nitto NT05's 275/295, Stiegemeier ported, 2.87” pulley, Canton 9-qt oil pan, Spec Stage II clutch, MM coilovers, Bilstein Shocks/Struts, LFP heat exchanger, LFP radiator, Evans cooling system, 14" Brembo 4 Piston calipers, 470whp, 460ft-lbs
Mustang9668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
whammy91

Well after driving it I touch one line and it's hot and touch the other end of the line and it's cool.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
whammy91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang9668 View Post
You've definitely got a problem somewhere. I have that exact trans cooler and even when I had the big 4000 stall converter my temps never went over 180. Most of the time it was down around 130 degrees. Not sure where the problem is exactly, but with temps that high I'd be concerned about whether fluid was flowing through it at all.
how is yours mounted? i was thinking of pushing my cooler a bit further back from the lower grill and maybe that might help with better air flow. can you post a pic or just let me know how you mounted it.