2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
FenixFallen
Newb

Squealing brakes, any suggestions?

I've had nothing but problems with the brakes since I got the car. To start with, when I bought it it had GT rotors on the back, but the calipers and pads were still mach 1, so only half the pads were touching the rotor. We replaced the rotors with vented blank rotors, I can't remember if they were true OEM but we got them from mustangs unlimited. My dad ground the pads down so they were even again but that didn't stop the squeaking. So the next thing I did was buy Hawk HPS pads from American muscle, front and rear. That was good for a while then the rear started squeaking again. Replaced the clips that hold the pads in the caliper, worked for a bit then it came back. I was pretty sure it was the driver side rear, so I replaced the caliper on that side, squeak came right back. This time I'm sure it's the passenger side so I replaced the caliper on that side, but it didn't change the squeal at all.

TLDR, the brakes currently make a loud, embarrassing squeal when I have the brakes lightly engaged (a little less than halfway). Pressing the brakes harder stops the squeal, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of slamming on the brakes at stop signs to avoid an annoying sound. I like to slow down gradually, so maybe the pads aren't wearing evenly or something since I don't brake hard very often? I'm running out of ideas, I had the brakes apart at least 5 times towards the end of summer last year trying to lock this down, to no avail. I'd hate to buy more pads/rotors but I can't think of anything else to try at this point. Any ideas?
-Stock longblock, stock transmission, Procharger D1SC 4.15" pulley, Accufab 60mm TB, P/P intake manifold, full MAC exhaust, return style fuel system, Maximum Motorsports/Steeda suspension, Torsen T2R 31 spline diff

Red 2007 Focus ST, daily driver, 236hp/234tq @10psi
-FSWerks gt2871r kit, Cosworth intake manifold, FSWerks Stealth exhaust, FRPP lowering springs
FenixFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
Slow :(

Re: Squealing brakes, any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixFallen View Post
I've had nothing but problems with the brakes since I got the car. To start with, when I bought it it had GT rotors on the back, but the calipers and pads were still mach 1, so only half the pads were touching the rotor. We replaced the rotors with vented blank rotors, I can't remember if they were true OEM but we got them from mustangs unlimited. My dad ground the pads down so they were even again but that didn't stop the squeaking. So the next thing I did was buy Hawk HPS pads from American muscle, front and rear. That was good for a while then the rear started squeaking again. Replaced the clips that hold the pads in the caliper, worked for a bit then it came back. I was pretty sure it was the driver side rear, so I replaced the caliper on that side, squeak came right back. This time I'm sure it's the passenger side so I replaced the caliper on that side, but it didn't change the squeal at all.

TLDR, the brakes currently make a loud, embarrassing squeal when I have the brakes lightly engaged (a little less than halfway). Pressing the brakes harder stops the squeal, but I'm not comfortable with the idea of slamming on the brakes at stop signs to avoid an annoying sound. I like to slow down gradually, so maybe the pads aren't wearing evenly or something since I don't brake hard very often? I'm running out of ideas, I had the brakes apart at least 5 times towards the end of summer last year trying to lock this down, to no avail. I'd hate to buy more pads/rotors but I can't think of anything else to try at this point. Any ideas?
Are all the anti-rattle clips present on the pads? The ones above the pads and the ones on each side of the pads? If not, you can can have a trailer-like squeal.

Look at the "how to" thread in this section to confirm.
006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
mach1guy20

You have metalic pads? Mine does the same if you want it to stop go with different pads
mach1guy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
FenixFallen
Newb

yes all the clips are there, we've replaced them twice with different manufacturers in case we got crappy quality stuff the first time. I think the HPS pads were made of ferro-carbon, so ya they're probably metalic.
-Stock longblock, stock transmission, Procharger D1SC 4.15" pulley, Accufab 60mm TB, P/P intake manifold, full MAC exhaust, return style fuel system, Maximum Motorsports/Steeda suspension, Torsen T2R 31 spline diff

-FSWerks gt2871r kit, Cosworth intake manifold, FSWerks Stealth exhaust, FRPP lowering springs
Old 04-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
mikeracing
MECHANIC

i have run alot of different brands of pads by far for dd and track pads i love performance friction

the regualr pfc pads are great street pads low dust great stopping power

z rated a inbetween pad hot street pad/autocross or 7/10ths hpde pad a bit more dust can make noise on occasion (not much at all just a occasional squeak)

pfc race pads i havent had them on the mustang yet but if former cars have anything to say lots of brake dust a little noise and incredible stopping power from cold to OMG are the rotors gonna melt

on my neon i had the pfc street pads on it for 50,000 miles and you could still see the cross hatching of the rotor like you never had a mettalic pad on it even with alot of 120-0 stops
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
FenixFallen
Newb

I tried bedding the brakes again, it seems to have stopped squealing for now. I will look into performance friction when the squeal comes back, I probably should have done regular ceramic pads to start with.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenixFallen View Post
I tried bedding the brakes again, it seems to have stopped squealing for now. I will look into performance friction when the squeal comes back, I probably should have done regular ceramic pads to start with.
Ive had my Hawk pads squeal from time to time as well, Ive found a few good hard stops/slow downs from 45+ will make em go quiet for a while again

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
j rick kirby

I have had luck roughing up the rotors and pads with sandpaper.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote