2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 05-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
Flash88

Help with Fuel tank mod.

Im just about to buy a 04 Cobra fuel hat with factory cobra pumps. and i've read it plugs right in and vice versa. Just trying to get some straight answers on this one. And currently i have a SVT focus pump sitting in my room, and i know thats plug and play and a quick easy install. But i figure i would be able to get more power out of the twin pump set up. my motor is built and puttin a ported blower on it so i need the fuel.

Anyway:
-will it plug right in?
-What all do i have to beat with a hammer to get the Hat to fit?

Pics would always be helpful.

And i will pick up a cobra tank when i get the chance but for now i will just keep it above 1/4 tank.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
littlemags
finally paid for

Re: Help with Fuel tank mod.

the tank is a plug and play.....dont know about the focus pumps though.
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
Yellow Jacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
the tank is a plug and play.....dont know about the focus pumps though.
No...it's not really plug and play...that makes it sound too easy.

Our Mach 1s us a returnless fuel system where pressure is regulated by the fuel pump delivery module that interfaces with the ECM. A Cobra pumps pressure to the motor and needs a regulator at the motor and a return line to return unused pressurized fuel back to the tank.

When I replaced my fuel pump, I avoided the focus pump because there are new pumps on the market that have worked the bugs out of pumps that came from the factory. If you're simply doing a replacement, I'd recommend an OEM pump. THAT will be plug and play.

If you're needing to add fuel pressure to allow use of a supercharger, twin pumps are a good option. Read the fuel thread.
Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
stellasmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post

Our Mach 1s us a returnless fuel system where pressure is regulated by the fuel pump delivery module that interfaces with the ECM. A Cobra pumps pressure to the motor and needs a regulator at the motor and a return line to return unused pressurized fuel back to the tank.

When I replaced my fuel pump, I avoided the focus pump because there are new pumps on the market that have worked the bugs out of pumps that came from the factory. If you're simply doing a replacement, I'd recommend an OEM pump. THAT will be plug and play.

If you're needing to add fuel pressure to allow use of a supercharger, twin pumps are a good option. Read the fuel thread.
I got confused reading your directions. So are you saying he needs to add a regulator and return line to run cobra pumps? That is really bad information if that is what you are saying. 03-04 cobra pumps work on the same principles as our system.
Wife's car: "Stella" 2003 DSG. Auto, 4:30's, 4800 Stall, aluminum DS, 26 inch slicks on 15 inch rims, skinnys, psr / aje hybrid k member and VMP tuned, GT front brakes, 1 3/4 headers and dumps, UWP pulley, Team z control arms.
7.90 - 1.75 60 foot.
12.37 1/4 mile
110.29 MPH (800 DA or so)
With Roy PSR 1.71 12.25 at 1600 DA (no tune)
4.56 gears 1.68 12.09

My Car: "Nadia" 2003 TR Auto, Parted out

Project beat Stella, engineless 03 DSG. Only goal is to beat my wife.
stellasmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Bmeagher

Quote:

The cobra pump is a plug and play, but you need to remove the baffles in the tank. I forgot the reason, maybe it's because of the 2 socks. The cobra twin pumps are still returnless. I have the focus pump in my Mach, and that only took me an hour tops. Just drop the tank, and swap the pump itself.
SAE 378RWHP ,302 ft/lbs
70-120mph run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqjiOeYWAE
Bmeagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:

that is some wrong information....the 03-04 mach AND cobra both use returnless.
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Flash88

yea. i a,ready knew that info was way off

I was just wondering what all needed to be done to make the hat fit in the stock take. I guess its just beat the baffles and the hat should fit right in.

Thanks for the help fellas. Pump just got here. im about to put it in.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
1badautogt

Yup You're gonna have to break all the baffling out of the bottom of the tank.. 1 thing to note though when running a cobra hat in a GT/MACH tank you will not be able to floor it at all below 1/2 tank.. The cobras already have issues with this below 1/4 tank and they have baffles in the tank to help keep the pumps in fuel.. The GT/MACH tank does not and its terrible with fuel slosh on a low tank.. JUST FYI
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Flash88

i dont know about 1/2 a tank. I keep seeing and hearing that anything below 1/4 a tank is when you shouldnt be at WOT.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
hecdel40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badautogt View Post
Yup You're gonna have to break all the baffling out of the bottom of the tank.. 1 thing to note though when running a cobra hat in a GT/MACH tank you will not be able to floor it at all below 1/2 tank.. The cobras already have issues with this below 1/4 tank and they have baffles in the tank to help keep the pumps in fuel.. The GT/MACH tank does not and its terrible with fuel slosh on a low tank.. JUST FYI
This guy knows his stuff so you may want to listen to what he is saying, I do and he is also my tuner.
hecdel40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Slow :(

Self explanatory.

Found these on the net somewhere and someone had modded his tank with a jerrycan.

006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #12
1badautogt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88 View Post
i dont know about 1/2 a tank. I keep seeing and hearing that anything below 1/4 a tank is when you shouldnt be at WOT.
Without the baffles you will run into trouble just below 1/2 tank I promise.. your stock pump hat holds fuel in the basket, the cobra pumps don't have that set up as you can see in the pictures above..
Old 05-19-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
cobrachullitt
So Confused

The whole baffle half tank is bogus, when terminators were just showing up at the dealers we were putting Terminator pumps bought from ford racing for procharged 99-01 cobras. We removed the bafflle in the tank and used these cars multiple times on road courses with fluid swaying all over the place all the way down to a quarter tank. Your car is not a Pro-Stock race car to hold fuel back the wholle time your going forward. Want to prove me wrong go get a drink and put it in your cupholder half full. If the drink moves backwards and drink liguid is standing straight up with half the bottom of the bottle showing during your whole run, then you sir have rockets on your car. How do you think foxbodies been running for the past 20 years they have no baffles and it is a sock that is no where near the bottom. Yes a 1/4 tank would be your max and at a quarter tank I would not run any car hard. Do to mostly sediment buildup that could clog a filter. Instead of building a baffle I would just put a bigger fuel line in. Yes these are returnless fuel systems so it just packs fuel in the line and when loads are on the car the computer tells the pump to spin more. So unless you are dumping your clutch at 6000 and on Hoosier slicks, I could see a potential fuel problem. Lets get serious with the half tank thing, the tank is 11 gallons and half tank would be 5.5 gallons and if you ever have the tank down you will notice it has more depth in the front then the back. So packing fuel in a narrower area is impossible.

Now you want a real fuel problem go find anyone with dumps and ask how hot is the fuel in there tank. On a roadcourse I have seen cars with dumps pull in with boiling gas. On a highway for a long period of time you would have the same outcome.
cobrachullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
Flash88

yea. i figured it would be ok until around 1/4th tank.

But i also have dumps with turndowns. But plan on putting my tail pipes back on