2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Mach828
Dark Knight

Anyone else have issues breaking clutch cables?

I've gone through 2 OEM clutch cables and one aftermarket clutch cable. The first two I though was just rubbing on sharp edge on the Fiore quadrant. But I sanded the edges down and rapped the cable in electrical tape. This time it just seems like it ripped apart. Unless it rubbing on the firewall adjuster.

Its coming apart about 3 inches from the firewall side. It just shears apart.

I'm out of ideas. What should I do? Get a new quadrant?

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
TheWaterSkier

Re: Anyone else have issues breaking clutch cables?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
I've gone through 2 OEM clutch cables and one aftermarket clutch cable. The first two I though was just rubbing on sharp edge on the Fiore quadrant. But I sanded the edges down and rapped the cable in electrical tape. This time it just seems like it ripped apart. Unless it rubbing on the firewall adjuster.

Its coming apart about 3 inches from the firewall side. It just shears apart.

I'm out of ideas. What should I do? Get a new quadrant?
What kind of spacers came with the Fiore quadrant? It's very important that the incoming cable line up perfectly with the quadrant...

Traded on another vehicle. The Mach was a great car with very few issues in the 93,000 miles I put on it. I'll miss it...

'04 DSG 5 Spd. IUP
Tri-Ax purchased day before Mach, installed day of purchase. MGW Adjustable Shifter Arm.
Borla Stainless Steel "Stinger" Cat-back. Fiore firewall adjuster/Steeda clutch quadrant.
TheWaterSkier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
JimsZ

Im not using spacers at all on mine and no issues... is it possible you've got the cable twisted on the outside at the firewall adjuster and its scraping on inside of adjuster? I guess im asking what kind of firewall adjuster, are you hurting oem cable when removing the end of it to go into adjuster, and is the cable routed in a way going into the firewall as it would be scraping side of adjuster when moving...
JimsZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
BlackGT

where did you get your ford stock replacement cables from? I cant seem to find any real ford ones anywhere
BlackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Mach828
Dark Knight

Here is a Ford racing cable
http://www.jegs.com/i/Ford-Racing/39...oductId=747130

And another OEM cable
http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang...004-STOCK/6775

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Mach828
Dark Knight

I think it might be not having the right spacers, and I don't think my clutch fork is seated properly, as my clutch is abnormally stiff. So its causes excessive force on it.

I'll get a new cable, and then make sure the clutch fork and TOB are okay on the input shaft. I was in a hurry putting it together, and the fork tends to get moved around a bit if your not careful.

Its just frustrating!

Old 03-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Mach828
Dark Knight

Broke another Ford cable. This one lasted almost a year. From May to March.

I bought another one, and the double hook quadrant from Ford Racing. So maybe the new quadrant will help.

I think I'm just too hard on them. I kick the pedal down with a lot of force, and it happens regularly.

With all my manual transmission issues, I wish I had just bought an auto Mach 1. I'm too hard on manual transmissions.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
USMCWeatherMan

I was close to getting the Ford Racing cable but opted for the Maximum Motorsports cable, quadrant, firewall adjuster. Clutch fork is last piece of the puzzle (on back order), hope to get it all swapped out next Friday.

Hopefully I have better luck with the MM cable than you have had with the Ford cables.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote