2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
lavasnake

Ideas for a small business? We need $ to MOD!

Hello all,

I'd love to start my own business but I am having a lot of trouble thinking of what to do, and how to do it. I havn't seen any threads on this subject, and I'd like to get help, and help others on this forum be able to accomplish their goals. I was wondering if anyone else would have any input into this subject.

In order to make money, I believe you need the following things:

-Money
---Money for me is a little tight but I can come up with some or use credit cards

-Skills
---Car audio installation, home tv/audio installation, Building PC's, Wood working, Book keeping (my 9-5), landscaping, minor car maintenence, repair, and detailing, Learning electrical (AC/DC)

-Time
---nights & weekends

-Right tools for the job
---I have a 2 car garage with a drill press, table saw, hole saw, band saw, wood/metal lathe, and a good amount of tools I've gathered.

-Recognition
---This is where I think one of my main problems are. I am 26 years old from Baltimore, MD. The people that I've grown up with or know from my area have the priorities of a 15 year old. No car, no job ect ect.

Its sad to say it, but I dont know anyone who I could begin to help or do work for. I build my own custom pc's (including cases) and I dont know anyone who would be able to save enough to actually buy a computer.

My ideas would be:
-Making custom PC's
-Wood furniture repair
-Buying cars/items & reselling online
-Antique repair
-Car detailing

So has anyone else had any good luck with doing work on their own?
-Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5 Inch Catback
-Diablo Handheld Tuner
-K&N drop in filter
-Kenwood H/U, Infinity Kappa 6x8", Kenwood 4chnl amp
-2 Atlas 12"Subwoofers & MTX 800W RMS Amp
-36 Sq. ft of Dynamat xtreme
-Smoked tail light covers
lavasnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #2
LineageMach1
Air Power!!

Re: Ideas for a small business? We need $ to MOD!

This may be off topic and I dont know if you have already or are currently in the military but considering your age the military is never a bad idea.

You could get plenty of training in mechanical/technical field in the Air Force with the benefit of the G.I. Bill as well as V.A. Loan help. Depending on the job you decide on in the military you could get out after 4-6 years with quite a bit of schooling and in some fields certification/s. The pay and benefits are pretty good after E-4....E-5 ish.

If that's not your cup of tea then no worries, was just a thought.
2004 Mustang GT-Red-Sold
2001 Mustang- Forest Green-Sold
Disabled Veteran United States Air Force. Hoorah Air Force!
LineageMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
lavasnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LineageMach1 View Post
This may be off topic and I dont know if you have already or are currently in the military but considering your age the military is never a bad idea.

You could get plenty of training in mechanical/technical field in the Air Force with the benefit of the G.I. Bill as well as V.A. Loan help. Depending on the job you decide on in the military you could get out after 4-6 years with quite a bit of schooling and in some fields certification/s. The pay and benefits are pretty good after E-4....E-5 ish.

I would if I didnt have a family now. My daughter is a year and 2 months old. I think that would be too hard on us
-Diablo Handheld Tuner
-K&N drop in filter
Old 04-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
ginols
GMan

for being 26 and wanting to own your own business, your half way there. . .wanting to better yourself and family and be humble enough to ask for help is very rare for today's young folks. . .finding your niche is the other half, pursue the things that you like and don't look back, gl
ginols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

if youre looking for extra income you could try posting for jobs on elance. A guy I know is a finance guru for a nation wide company and says that hes done quite a few side projects for people and made good money doing it...try looking on there and see if you can drum up some work to do from home on those nights/weekends.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
LineageMach1
Air Power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavasnake View Post
I would if I didnt have a family now. My daughter is a year and 2 months old. I think that would be too hard on us
Yeah that would make it hard. Maybe later down the road. But since you have kids and married you do get paid a lot more so maybe one day.

Before the Air Force I worked in a jewelry store as a salesman (18-19 yo) making minimum wage. Joined the AF in 1999 at the age of 19 and now am 33, served about 10 years before injury retired me. BUT, if it wasnt for the injury the civilian versions of my job are about 75-150k depending on rank/years etc. So the military can work for you if you put the time in.

If you ever do decide on it give me a PM and I'll try to answer any questions you have. Other than that there is a franchise I worked for a long time ago and from what I was told it's easy to start up and it starts making money back very quickly. The one in our city closed shop to move to a bigger city, Charlotte NC, the gigantic mansion and super cars he was making here wasnt enough I guess so he moved for more money and he is doing well.

I have really been thinking about opening one of these up here again. I counted the cash at the end of the night and did the bank statements when I worked there and trust me, it pulls in a ton of money with hardly any overhead. Here is a link to their main website.

http://www.takeouttaxi.com/

Good luck with everything.
2004 Mustang GT-Red-Sold
Old 04-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

see if your area has any business development centers, I know they arent everywhere but theres an incredible number of resources in central florida for free help in launching/running a business

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
USAF_Rock
Sweat saves blood

Quote:

are you a recuiter? haha. just messing with you man. He does have a good point tho
USAF_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #9
4a7191a

id say for you to sell body fluids.... every one of them theyre willing to pay for.

2001 svt lightning
2011 Mitsubishi Evo X
1999 F250 7.3L
4a7191a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
03mach1
Admin/Founder

First, DO your research, find something that people need or want and price it accordingly.

Make sure you have the right stuff, Liability insurance (if needed) depending on what you do, the right Permits, Business Certificates/license, TAX information, check with your homeowner association or city/village to see if you CAN operate a business from your home (depending on what it is), etc...you don't want to get going, then get shut down when a neighbor complains, etc...

People have Ebay walk in stores, that people can bring stuff in, and you sell it for them and you get make like whatever (6-15%+) commission depending on the selling price, etc....

http://www.sba.gov/content/follow-th...rting-business

Start out small, have your Advertising, flyers, cards, etc.. ALL professional looking and branded the same (so they all have the same logos, contact info, etc....).

It takes time and some money to get any business going.

Good luck
Founder/Admin Member #0001
http://www.Mach1Registry.com
http://www.Mach1Performance.org
Amsoil T-1 Certified Independant Dealer
Member, MCA
'03 Mach 1, '08 V6 WIP, 76 Cobra II
VIN#301788
03mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
lavasnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginols View Post
for being 26 and wanting to own your own business, your half way there. . .wanting to better yourself and family and be humble enough to ask for help is very rare for today's young folks. . .finding your niche is the other half, pursue the things that you like and don't look back, gl
Thank you. I know what you mean about younger people in todays world. I bought my first mustang $6,000 cash when I was 15. Bought the Mach1 brand new when I was 18 all with my own money. I know people as old as me that blow money on everything under the sun, and still dont have a pot to piss in.
-Diablo Handheld Tuner
-K&N drop in filter
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
lavasnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
if youre looking for extra income you could try posting for jobs on elance. A guy I know is a finance guru for a nation wide company and says that hes done quite a few side projects for people and made good money doing it...try looking on there and see if you can drum up some work to do from home on those nights/weekends.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
see if your area has any business development centers, I know they arent everywhere but theres an incredible number of resources in central florida for free help in launching/running a business
Thanks a lot for the info! I will def do some homework this weekend.

Quote:
Yeah that would make it hard. Maybe later down the road. But since you have kids and married you do get paid a lot more so maybe one day.

Before the Air Force I worked in a jewelry store as a salesman (18-19 yo) making minimum wage. Joined the AF in 1999 at the age of 19 and now am 33, served about 10 years before injury retired me. BUT, if it wasnt for the injury the civilian versions of my job are about 75-150k depending on rank/years etc. So the military can work for you if you put the time in.

If you ever do decide on it give me a PM and I'll try to answer any questions you have. Other than that there is a franchise I worked for a long time ago and from what I was told it's easy to start up and it starts making money back very quickly. The one in our city closed shop to move to a bigger city, Charlotte NC, the gigantic mansion and super cars he was making here wasnt enough I guess so he moved for more money and he is doing well.

I have really been thinking about opening one of these up here again. I counted the cash at the end of the night and did the bank statements when I worked there and trust me, it pulls in a ton of money with hardly any overhead. Here is a link to their main website.

http://www.takeouttaxi.com/

Good luck with everything.
Thank you. I will def keep it in mind. Right now my career looks promising for a promotion in the near future. If things dont work out and I need to go a different way I think being in the military would be a good step in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03mach1 View Post
First, DO your research, find something that people need or want and price it accordingly.

Make sure you have the right stuff, Liability insurance (if needed) depending on what you do, the right Permits, Business Certificates/license, TAX information, check with your homeowner association or city/village to see if you CAN operate a business from your home (depending on what it is), etc...you don't want to get going, then get shut down when a neighbor complains, etc...

People have Ebay walk in stores, that people can bring stuff in, and you sell it for them and you get make like whatever (6-15%+) commission depending on the selling price, etc....

http://www.sba.gov/content/follow-th...rting-business

Start out small, have your Advertising, flyers, cards, etc.. ALL professional looking and branded the same (so they all have the same logos, contact info, etc....).

It takes time and some money to get any business going.

Good luck
Thank you very much for not only for the information, but a GREAT website, & being a great role model for all. You always are willing to help anyone, and it means a lot that you are actively involved with the forums.

I think starting an online ebay store may be one of my first steps in working on my future goals.

I am very good at book keeping, and computer graphics, and the advertising suggestions are dead on!
-Diablo Handheld Tuner
-K&N drop in filter
Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #13
Ucmefly2

Www.digdug.myzijastory.com
Worth a look!!!!
Prochamber
Roys 1/2 spacer
Nx wet kit
Cut springs lowered
sct tuner
Ucmefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 AM   #14
LineageMach1
Air Power!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_Rock View Post
are you a recuiter? haha. just messing with you man. He does have a good point tho
Heh, anybody who loves the Air Force is a recruiter. You cant beat the benefits if your young and was not blessed with a silver spoon.

You get full dental, medical. You also get BAH (housing allowance, lot's of extra pay) extra money for having dependants and on top of it you get to travel and learn technical skills and get paid to do it lol. Then if you wanna go to college it's free while your active duty and afterwards you got the G.I Bill whice is up to what? 45k now? Oh and 1 free certification course in anything you want.

I have to admit I loved every day I got to spend in uniform and the ONLY regret is that I joined at 19 instead of 17 (when I graduated highschool). Even though I got hurt the military is still taking care of me and my family for the rest of our lives, not many companies do that.

Many people get spooked about the whole basic traiing and going to war stuff but it's the Air Force, as long as your not TACP, special forces, security forces etc your good to go and basic training is hard but it is designed to make you succeed. Then you get leadership experience, ALS, NCO Academy list goes on and on

But unfortunately it's not for everyone but since I;ve been out I've put in about 6 people lol. Well 5 and the other is at the Citidel right now but he is joining as an officer after graduation.
2004 Mustang GT-Red-Sold