2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
MustangFrank03
'03 Torch Red

next stop... suspension

I am slowly building my car and in the future I plan on a blower (nothing crazy just a fun street car I don't plan on racing). Well my next stop is suspension I don't want to go too low so I am thinking about H&R race springs and Tokico HP shocks and struts. Already have CC plates, and control arms stored at my old mans place. I also have new sway bars as well but they are the same spec that is already on the car so I don't think I will put them on. What do some of you guys run and/or recommend? I already like the way the car handles I just want it to sit a little lower.
MustangFrank03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
j rick kirby

Re: next stop... suspension

Don't really know what your objective is but you should spend the extra coin and get Bilsteins. It will handle AND ride better that stock. They also have a lifetime warranty.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
mikeracing
MECHANIC

i have h&r race springs and with the kyb agx with the set up on 1 in the front and 1 in the rear it rides like a stock gt upto 4 in the front and 8 in the rear pretty stiff for the road course. currently for driving around town i keep it right in the middle

i ended up having to run iso lators in the front thought because i was having tire rub issues on the innder fender well mid turn on the road course or when taking on ramps rather quickly (seems to have taken care of the issue anyways for me )
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Tommy Z

For a fun street car, I recommend the H&R Race springs and the Bilstein HDs as well. I went with H&R Super Sports and Bilsteins, plus new bushings and hardware, and I absolutely the way the car handles and looks. Looking back now, I wish I had done the H&R Race but since I'm not competing it doesn't really affect much. One little piece of advice would be to go ahead and pull the isolators, nothing worse than getting it back on the ground and wishing it was just a tad lower ha.

Something about a microwave with wifi and Tapatalk.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Spec 2 & Fidanza flywheel
★ H&R Super Sports & Maximum Motorsports struts/shocks
★ Maximum Motorsports rear lowers, MM panhard, MM caster camber plates
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Brembo slotted rotors, braided lines
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R
Tommy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
MustangFrank03
'03 Torch Red

thanks fellas. Do the H&R Super Sports really drop it that much if I run isolators? I am afraid if I don't run them it will squeak. My other pony had none for a little while and they went right back in lol.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:46 AM   #6
Tommy Z

Oh yea, you'll still get plenty of drop. I personally wanted mine really low. If I were you, I'd go H&R Race (or Super Sports) and then get Maximum Motorsports' polyurethane spring isolators. They're a much lower profile than the stock ones.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
brtnstrns

I ran supersports on my 99 GT without isolators and I didn't have any noise at all.
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
iudelt89
United We Stang

I'm running the H&R SS springs with the iso's that came from American Muscle. Yes, it still drops the car quite a bit even with them in. To be honest I wouldn't want it all that much lower than it already is. I'll be switching out to H&R race springs next year as I would like to do some timed events.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
BlvdBrzr

Do to the lack of Instant Center and Anti-Squat adjustments available on this platform, a double adjustable rear shock is definitely the way to go...

Check out Viking Performance, they have a nice offering of aluminum double adjustable shocks and struts, under $200, which is unheard of for DA's.

http://www.vi-king.com/
BlvdBrzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
Mustanger2

I'm going to try Koni Yellow Sport adjustable shocks soon...then switch to Air Ride bags when I get rich....
Old 07-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
MustangFrank03
'03 Torch Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlvdBrzr View Post
Do to the lack of Instant Center and Anti-Squat adjustments available on this platform, a double adjustable rear shock is definitely the way to go...

Check out Viking Performance, they have a nice offering of aluminum double adjustable shocks and struts, under $200, which is unheard of for DA's.

http://www.vi-king.com/
o they have any online dealers? I looked on their page and didn't find any dealer locator. I am looking more into these now. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Bmeagher

Skip the coil springs, go with coilovers! I went with maximum motorsports 12" 400 lbs springs, mm caster/camber plates and maximum motorsports control arms. You can adjust ride height, the car handles like its on rails. Night and day from stock.
SAE 378RWHP ,302 ft/lbs
70-120mph run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hqjiOeYWAE
Bmeagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
jeff33702

^^ Yep. Coilovers are great - just get MM and not a cheap brand.

Can get you a great deal on coilovers, too

I can see you're after a budget suspension - which is fine. In fact, the tokico HPs are a great, cheap set for what you get. You will NOT be able to run coilovers with those, though. The valving is more appropriate to stockish springs so might not be optimal with the H&R but again, it's a budget kit.

MM Coilovers will require a more significant investment in dampers (Bilstein or Koni) but you'll be on a completely different level of comfort, performance and adjustability.

Jeff
Maximum Motorsports
Steeda
Forgeline Wheels
JLT Intakes
BMR Suspension

SOLD
03 Mach 1 - 17lbs of Whipple
01 Cobra - 99% stock (Catback only)
68 Coupe - My first car ever
93 Coupe - www.93coupe.com
jeff33702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #14
MustangFrank03
'03 Torch Red

you guys are killing me, can't make up my mind! I don't have an issue with spending the money just would rather put it into the motor. Don't really need the adjustability factor as much as the performance/comfort but you could convince me.

I am looking over your site while at work btw. When I decide to finally do this I will go there first lol.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
jeffro
Red Rocket

::putting on helmet::

I would cut the factory coils about 1-1.25 coils, put on the bilsteins, some adj control arms for the rear and put the rest of the $ in the motor. away

jeff
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Tommy Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
::putting on helmet::

I would cut the factory coils about 1-1.25 coils, put on the bilsteins, some adj control arms for the rear and put the rest of the $ in the motor. away

jeff
It isn't that cutting coils is necessarily bad, there is just zero (most likely negative) gain in handling. If one is going strictly for looks, I don't really see a problem with cutting coils. I'm a out to do long tubes and am seriously considering going with MM's K member, control arms, and coil overs.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R
Old 08-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
MustangFrank03
'03 Torch Red

alright well I did some tradin' with the old man and ended up with the H&R race springs. I think I am going to go Bilstein for the shocks/struts. So that springs, CC plates, control arms. I think that'll do it. Any other mods you guys reccomend I should get.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
Tommy Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangFrank03 View Post
alright well I did some tradin' with the old man and ended up with the H&R race springs. I think I am going to go Bilstein for the shocks/struts. So that springs, CC plates, control arms. I think that'll do it. Any other mods you guys reccomend I should get.
Bushings where needed need if you're up for it! Cheap, help tighten things back up, and cut noise. Solid rack bushings are another good idea. Easy to install since you're already under there, also cheap, and bring the steering back to life.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R