2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
2004mw

Any one on here running a tourqe arm

Any one on here running a tourqe arm? reviews please..
2004mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

Re: Any one on here running a tourqe arm

I am. I'm still on H&R race springs so my setup is a complete mess and I have yet to autox the car since I installed it, but so far from what I can tell on the street the corner exit traction is incredible. Seems to hook 1st gear better in a straight line as well. Overall it feels worlds better and if I could re-do everything I'd go with the torque arm setup (or a 5link) first thing after installing SFCs and camber plates.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
j rick kirby

Totally transformrd the car and a little more NVH.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
2004mw

looks like ill be getting me one soon
2004mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
torched04

Just a quick question for you guys that are running the torque arm.

What lower control arms are you running and did you go from the stock quadralink system to the torque arm right away or did you go in steps like LCA, then Panhard bar, etc.

My brother just picked up a set of Extreme duty RLCA from MM and we are debating buying the panhard bar to go with them. Don't have the funds to make the jump all in one step.

He won't be auto x'ing or road coursing with the car just the odd trip to the 1320 and lots of driving it on the street and playing around so maybe the full Torque arm deal isn't needed.

Edit: Sorry I should have added that I have searched and found quite a few responses on this site about how the Panhard bar with new lower control arms and stock upper arms will cause a lot of bind. Is this true only when pushing the car hard or is this a really bad thing for a street car?

11.6 @ 133.8mph, 2.05 60', 5200ft DA, 275/40/17 M/T radials.

Last edited by torched04; 01-09-2012 at 11:13 AM.
torched04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Stopsign32v

I will say I liked my MM Panhard bar alot!!!

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Federico Garza
Mach eabelico

Install the arms, you will love the diference...do the PHB later, you will be happy with it also.

I did CC plates, rear lower control arms (poly and spherical bearings), H&R Race springs and Bilstein HD all around and am very pleased with amount of grip gained, very nice solid/predictable handling.

Next step is panhard bar, then finally torque arm.
Federico Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
smith30

I got UPR lca's with a spherical end at the chassis end. Stock uppers and i felt a difference. The rear feels more solid and positive. Mine is a dd and i thought of the whole TA/PHB setup. But for a street car i dont think you need it. I wont push the car hard enough on the street to REALLY benefit from all those mods. Not to mention the PHB can cause clearance issues with some catbacks on the passenger side.

Its a worthwhile mod if you drive the car hard enough to benefit from it IMO. my next suspension mod will prob be FLSFC's.
03 Mach 1 - sold
04 GT - sold
smith30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 AM   #9
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torched04 View Post
Just a quick question for you guys that are running the torque arm.

What lower control arms are you running and did you go from the stock quadralink system to the torque arm right away or did you go in steps like LCA, then Panhard bar, etc.

My brother just picked up a set of Extreme duty RLCA from MM and we are debating buying the panhard bar to go with them. Don't have the funds to make the jump all in one step.

He won't be auto x'ing or road coursing with the car just the odd trip to the 1320 and lots of driving it on the street and playing around so maybe the full Torque arm deal isn't needed.

Edit: Sorry I should have added that I have searched and found quite a few responses on this site about how the Panhard bar with new lower control arms and stock upper arms will cause a lot of bind. Is this true only when pushing the car hard or is this a really bad thing for a street car?
It binds but it's not a huge issue, just not optimal. I went LCAs > PHB > TA one at a time. LCAs felt better but nothing spectacular. PHB made a big difference, rear felt much more solid when cornering (duh). TA made a night and day difference in everything. I'd heavily recommend at least getting a PHB if you're interested in spirited driving on curvy roads.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
torched04

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRmachwon View Post
It binds but it's not a huge issue, just not optimal. I went LCAs > PHB > TA one at a time. LCAs felt better but nothing spectacular. PHB made a big difference, rear felt much more solid when cornering (duh). TA made a night and day difference in everything. I'd heavily recommend at least getting a PHB if you're interested in spirited driving on curvy roads.
Thanks for the info. The panhard bar won't effect any performance for the 1/4 mile will it? My brother isn't drag or autocross orient, he just likes to drive it on the street and such. Track a couple times a year so we aren't serious.

I tried searching under your name, but didn't have any luck with photos of your system. Do you have an pictures of the panhard bar install and then panhard and torque arm? I am curious on the exhaust fitment.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
TRmachwon
Parking Lot Racer

Only pics I have:

PHB chassis bracket:

TA:

SLP catback. Cleared the PHB mount but I can't get the tailpipe to stay centered since the pipe over the axle rests against the PHB bracket bolts and is forced into a different position.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
rich1
AUTOMACHTIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRmachwon View Post
I have a complete HPM suspension( Kenny Brown) on my car . The lower control arms improve take off traction. The upper control arms keep the axle from twisting front to back The panhard bar keeps the axle centered from side to side. I have alot more traction than stock did and with an auto trans thats needed.I also have a front upper and lower tower brace . This set up works for me with out making the car true track car .Noise in the car from the harder bushings are minor. The panhard bar will make the exhaust a little bit of a challange but I used the 3 piece Borla system catback to solve that. I have not changed the springs or the shocks either since this is good enough for a street car.
UPGRADES...Tokico Illuminas Borla SS Catback , Steeda Underdrives , Strut Brace , HPM Lower K Brace , L /C Arms , U /C Arms , HPM PanHard Bar, K&N FRPK 2, GOODYEAR GT1 , MRT- H-Pipe , JLT VaporTraps , SLP-12'" Tips! , FRPP Shorty 1 5/8 Headers , Brembo D/S & PBR D/S Rotors ,FRPP Alum.DS ,Roys 3/8 Spacer , SVT Focus 255 pump SCTsw Chip PRO-DYNOjet NA 300.01hp /315tq (Auto) ,Innovate W/B ,Compucar Wet Kit (90jet) + Heater and E Gauge * 360 hp/385tq 12.5 -1/4 @112
rich1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
torched04

Thanks for the pictures.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:38 AM   #14
ShakeMe

I have the PHB/HD TA/TA springs/UPR LCAs/ and stock UCAs(because the TA is not installed yet). I can feel more vibration because of the LCAs being spherical on both ends but it still feels better than my work truck. My axle housing has the tubes welded so labor will be more to install the TA. If you look at TRmachwon's pic of the TA where it fits next to the pumpkin on both sides, on my car there are really good welds on each side that need grinding. I'm going to put a shorter pinion snubber on tomorrow(actually today) so I'll take pics.

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #15
ShakeMe

The UCAs are the stiffer rubber bushing from Steeda.
Attached Thumbnails
Good view of welded tube (Medium).jpg   UPR Race LCA  with MM TA spring (Medium).jpg   HD UCA (Medium).jpg  

Feb 09 N2O 10.91 @ 124.21(1.55 60ft)
Feb 09 NA 11.85 @ 112.87 (1.60 60ft)
ShakeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
jeff33702

Just installed the whole max grip box on my 93.

Here are a few pics of the torque arm quality.

http://93coupe.com/gallery/maximum-m...-arm-pictures/

AND - I came across a good thread from Jack at MM about suspension bind with different rear combos.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/10025068-post7.html

I JUST signed on as a supporting vendor here and I'd love to help you guys out with your Maximum Motorsports parts - just let me know what you're looking for.

Jeff
Maximum Motorsports
Steeda
Forgeline Wheels
JLT Intakes
BMR Suspension

SOLD
03 Mach 1 - 17lbs of Whipple
01 Cobra - 99% stock (Catback only)
68 Coupe - My first car ever
93 Coupe - www.93coupe.com
jeff33702 is offline   Reply With Quote