2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-09-2005, 12:34 AM   #26
Fosters
LS1-stock

Re: FRAM Airfilter WARNING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer
That will be my evidence of contamination and damage. The photos of tons of insects in my MAF screen will be evidence as well as the photo of the plastic dome sitting in the airbox seperated from the filter.

Don't be so sure Fram won't come through. I've been through similar situations with large corporations and they were resolved in my favor. Fram's warranty doesn't just cover the air filter itself. There are no exclusions in their warranty for damage caused by failure of their product. Fram is STILL advertising the faulty product on their website's tech sheet as their "new design". I have printed the pages as evidence. The person I spoke to on the phone was well aware of the faulty Mustang filters and he said Fram is making restitution. He just wouldn't say what that would be. Oh, BTW I'll get to speak to some Fram big wigs at the SEMA show in a few weeks. I checked the exhibitor list and they're on there

the pictures of the maf screen will be further proof junk didn't get into your engine. and hence your car is still running, your engine isn't ruined. and unless you sucked in some metal through the maf screen, your engine is most likely not ruined. parts of insects small enough to pass a clogged maf screen will most likely be small enough to pass through a valve and probably burn up with the rest of the gas...

and yes, you're supposed to check your air filter more often.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #27
mach1girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters
the pictures of the maf screen will be further proof junk didn't get into your engine. and hence your car is still running, your engine isn't ruined. and unless you sucked in some metal through the maf screen, your engine is most likely not ruined. parts of insects small enough to pass a clogged maf screen will most likely be small enough to pass through a valve and probably burn up with the rest of the gas...

my point exactly! Thank you! No, most people dont check their air filter that often, but if you want to try suing them to get a new engine your going to have a hell of a time when you dont have the evidence to go along with that!
mach1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #28
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosters

Ummm, no. The MAF screen only caught debris large enough to be caught by a coarse woven screen. Silica, the #1 abrasive that's in air borne dust goes right through the MAF screen. If all that I was worrying about was bugs which are organic, I wouldn't be worried.
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:41 PM   #29
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1girl
Not to be rude on this...but 7,380 miles is not noticing it right off the bad. Under 1,000 would be.

Ummm, you pull your airbox apart and check your filter every 1000 miles or less??? That's just a bit ridicoulous, even on a Mach 1.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #30
Explorer

Ok... I just went and looked at my Mach 1s owners manual. Guess what?? Ford doesn't reccomend the filter be changed until 30k and makes no mention of checking it any earlier than that. Considering the Fram that came apart is the third filter in my car I think I was doing pretty **** well in Ford's eyes. And considering Fram says their filter is good for 12,000 miles I have nothing to worry about regarding my supposed "negligence".
Old 10-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #31
spacecaptan

i really hope they help you out, but i don't think they will do anything other than a new filter. your motor hasn't failed. had you noticed any change in anything before you found the problem? it's just hard for me to believe that because of a filter you'll need a new motor and it's even harder for me to believe that fram will buy you a new motor. i can't wait for a new update, good luck
Old 10-09-2005, 08:08 PM   #32
Explorer

Well, I guess that's why Fram handles each case individually. Some people understand what happens when completely unfiltered air runs through an engine for a prolonged period of time and will present a case to prove it and others won't. I live in Phoenix, one of the dustiest cities in the country.

The attached photo was taken from my backyard.
Attached Thumbnails
duststorm3.jpg  
Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 PM   #33
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Ya, dirt and other particles (sand) are abrasive to an engine.. It's not the bugs I would be worried about..

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #34
spacecaptan

the only reason i don't think it's that big of a deal is that i have 2 different race cars that have high performance motors that get rebuilt about once every 3 years and neither run a filter and both have hood scoops that direct air straight into the carb and the abrasion on the cylinder walls is one worry i've never had. i know that a car driven every day is a different story, but i just can't imagine you winning a case. again, i wish you the best of luck in this, but i think you're SOL. also, thanks for the smart *** comments about some people understanding about unfiltered air, you're obviously an expert and i should keep my stupid mouth shut
Old 10-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #35
Explorer

Well, I do know the mechanicals of an engine pretty darn well and know the consequences of running without a filter. Running a 1/4 mile at a time down a clean track is a lot different than driving over 7000 miles in the Phoenix area. I assume you're talking drag racing because I have never seen a filterless roundy round car or offroad race vehicle.

My wife commutes 100 miles per day. We live on a dirt road. Assuming the filter failed immediatley she made over 70 trips over a dirt road with no filtration. Let's say she "only" made 50 trips over our dirt road pulling air through the wheel well air intake straight into the motor still not good...

Sorry for the smart *** comments, but I have had my share to deal with here as well. I've got it for running a Fram airfilter and for not checking my filter every 1000 miles or less
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #36
mach1girl

Quote:
Ummm, you pull your airbox apart and check your filter every 1000 miles or less??? That's just a bit ridicoulous, even on a Mach 1.

My point was not that you didnt check your air filter every 1,000 miles. My point was that if you want to claim it ruined your engine, maybe you should have realized that some effects it was causing on your car long before you did. I was pointing out exactly what FRAM's lawyer will point out.

Yes, Fram screwed up and they should give you some compensation, just not a whole new engine with what evidence you have shown so far.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:48 AM   #37
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Read this and just switched to a K&N filter.

BTW, don't worry about some of the opinions on this board...everybody has one. Additionally, I doubt any of these come w/ a legal education. Anyone...and I don't mean one semester in law!
GrimlokTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #38
spacecaptan

i would be more worried about fram saying there won't be ill affects rather than them saying you should have checked. i don't know how much the oil analysis will prove because i don't really know enough about um, either way let us know when you get a reply from fram. good luck
Old 10-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #39
mach1girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlokTT

BTW, don't worry about some of the opinions on this board...everybody has one. Additionally, I doubt any of these come w/ a legal education. Anyone...and I don't mean one semester in law!
Thats what we use is the K&N airfilter, I would highly recommend it.

As far as legal education. Does I graduate from law school in May and am currently a police officer count?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:27 PM   #40
Mach_One_Speed

I just spoke to a friend of mine's dad who IS a lawer and he said FRAM will pay for you to have your motor analized for cylinder wall abrasion, and if there is extensive damage FRAM will buy the motor (possibly)
Old 10-10-2005, 07:55 PM   #41
mach1girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_One_Speed
I just spoke to a friend of mine's dad who IS a lawer and he said FRAM will pay for you to have your motor analized for cylinder wall abrasion, and if there is extensive damage FRAM will buy the motor (possibly)
I can agree that that would happen. I just didnt agree that with the evidence shown so far that FRAM would come out and buy a new motor. You have the burden of proof to prove, and so far he didnt have it. Thats all I was saying.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:52 PM   #42
Mach_One_Speed

yeaaaaa go colorado!
Old 10-11-2005, 01:32 AM   #43
mach1girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_One_Speed
yeaaaaa go colorado!

Goofball!
Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 AM   #44
grodgers
I *need* boost...

Quote:

As far as legal education. Does I graduate from law school in May and am currently a police officer count?
Not here it doesn't. :-)

There's no semblance of common sense in internet forums.

I'm anxiously awaiting the outcome and if Explorer gets a new engine, I'll personally fly out to Phoenix and bring him a 12-pack.

Common sense dictates (and legal precedence) that a new engine just isn't gonna happen...

Some Loud Stuff
Some Look-Good Stuff
Some Go-Fast Stuff
grodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #45
OrangeMach

No offencse, but I wouldn't even buy a trash bag that had the FRAM name on it.

They just seem to have the cheapest crap out there. Ya know if Wal-Mart is carryng it it's gotta be cheap. I only use K&N, FOMOC or WIX for filtering.

04 Comp Orange w/IUP 5spd.
DOB: 1/12/04
Adopted: 4/24/04
Sold: 11/26/05
1 of 895
K&N CAI
Magnaflow Magnapacks
Hurst Billet Plus
Motive 4.30 Gears
FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
Moser 31 Spline Axles
PHP Intake Spacer
OrangeMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #46
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Doesn't WalMart carry Mobil 1...?
Old 10-12-2005, 05:37 PM   #47
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

Quote:

hope you have a sexatary cause your English and grammar is grade school

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #48
GrimlokTT
I looooove me car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron
hope you have a sexatary cause your English and grammar is grade school

Big Ron
I was thinking the same thing...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:52 PM   #49
substanger
MachJunkie

Quote:
. I'm filing a claim with Fram and I am asking for a new engine.
Hope you've got a good lawyer who doesn't cost alot! Fram is an awefully big company with lots and lots of money. Doubt they're going to bend over and buy you a new motor.......just like that. I suspect you're going to have to prove that your motor has 100,000 miles worth of wear and tear. That in itself won't be cheap. You'll have to have the engine removed and torn down, then reassembled, plus loss of use, etc etc. If they offer you $500 or free oil filters for the rest of your life, better jump all over that.
Past Mustang Ownership...'03 Mach 1 (Sold 11/07/06), '84 GT-5 speed-my first 'stang; '91 GT-5 speed; '70 M-code(351C) Mach 1; '95 Supercharged GT-S, 5 speed, totalled; '95 GT-S, 5 speed-replacement for totalled GT-S; '90 LX 5.0 5 speed; '89 LX 5.0 convertible 5 speed; '69 M-code(351W) Mach 1, 4 speed, A/C, fold down, slats, both spoilers; '90 LX 5.0 convertible.
substanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #50
substanger
MachJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimlokTT
I'm trying to figure out what the hell is wrong with the Ford Motorcraft brand. Can't go wrong with what Ford recommends.....and honestly.....they don't cost much more than a Fram or a Wix. Couldn't pay me to put a K&N on. Seen too many greasy/oily/contaminated MAF sensors from the oil used on the filters. I'd really like to see actual dyno results on a Mach 1 with a Ford air filter, then a K&N. What.....maybe 2 RWHP! Yea, that's worth $40 plus having to go through the trouble of washing it, letting it dry, and oiling it and hoping you don't put too much oil in the filter. :LAUGH:
Past Mustang Ownership...'03 Mach 1 (Sold 11/07/06), '84 GT-5 speed-my first 'stang; '91 GT-5 speed; '70 M-code(351C) Mach 1; '95 Supercharged GT-S, 5 speed, totalled; '95 GT-S, 5 speed-replacement for totalled GT-S; '90 LX 5.0 5 speed; '89 LX 5.0 convertible 5 speed; '69 M-code(351W) Mach 1, 4 speed, A/C, fold down, slats, both spoilers; '90 LX 5.0 convertible.
substanger is offline   Reply With Quote