2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #26
Blowngt92

Re: Test drove a stock '04 Cobra today - Mach comparo

I can feel a difference especially up top, but the Mach didn't "feel" that much slower. In other words, I don't get anymore of a rush from the cobra as I did the Mach. I guess jumping into a 500 rwhp cobra I was hoping it might be like my procharged 92 GT, that just scares the crap out of you anytime you get behind the wheel. The cobra layed 479 rwtq.

2003 Oxford White Cobra-- For Sale

2003 Azure Blue Mach1 Auto: Built 11-19-2002-- SOLD!

1992 GT: Procharged 358W-- Drag Car
Blowngt92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #27
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Also, dont you guys think the shaker helps with its ram air? Ram air intakes have proven to make more power than setups without them. Just look at a ram air trans am as opposed to a firebird ls1, same engine, different setup. Its like comparing a 2001 cobra with a mach1, same engine, different setup.

So i must pose the question: Has anyone ever raced or seen a race of an 01 cobra and a mach1? Personally, I think the mach would pull abit on the cobra even tho its the same engine. Ram air helps feed more air into the engine thus generating more power and the faster you go, the bigger the effect......
Fenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:34 PM   #28
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65
BlownGT - How can you not feel 200 RWHP difference? I understand what you are saying, but I can tell a difference between my two - mostly up top. But 200? What kind of TQ numbers are you throwing up?

TJ4CAM - They are heavier, and you can tell.

Fenix - Roots style blowers give you instant results. And they look cooler under the hood.
Maybe so, but ive seen centrifugal setups with the same boost make 100hp more than a roots setup. With that much more hp the difference in when the boost comes on is negligable and personally as long as the engine setup under the hood is neat i dont care what it looks like. People dont determine how good a car looks by the way it looks under the hood. Its also a matter of opinion, as i dont like the way a roots looks on the engine. I would take a chromed out centrifugal setup over the looks of a roots, but everyone has their tastes Whateva floats yer boat.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #29
Tomcat427
What a ride it was :)

I have test drove several 03/04 Cobra's and I have not been impressed with any of them. Of course I do not remember what my Mach 1 was like stock. I purchased the Mach 1 with plans on it taking out stock Cobra's in the 1/4. And I did that, proven at the track. I was not beat by a stock Cobra after installing just exhaust and gears.

Either car can be made into what ever you want it to be. The Mach 1 just fit me better. I actually came really close to buying a new Sonic Blue Cobra, it came down to $750 and the dealership would not budge. Then 6 months later they were selling them for $1500 less than that. The Cobra is the right car for a lot of people, actually more produced than the Mach 1, right?

They are different cars so they will appeal to different people. I would not say that one is better than other. But I will say that the Mach 1 was the right choice for me.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #30
white ghost
"ludicris speed"

I'm sorry fenix that i have to play the devils advocate on this, but the '01 cobra and '03/4 mach DON'T have the same engine, the shaker helps but not until you reach 80+mph and by that time 10 extra horsepower ain't a whole hell of alot. the performance difference between the WS-6 and regular Trans-am is due to exhaust,suspension and "air-box" the Hood doesn't do **** except look cool! Infact if the two cars where to line up(ws6,transam) with identical drivers then the ws-6 will win by about 1/2 a car until they start pulling on top end then it will get progressively worse. Where as with the Mach and the cobra, the mach will rape the cobra(perfect match) take-off, and get away quick on top-end just due to the fact that it is a better design setup on the engine as far as technology is concerned, not to mention gear selection and weight play a large role.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #31
Romans8:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowngt92
I can feel a difference especially up top, but the Mach didn't "feel" that much slower. In other words, I don't get anymore of a rush from the cobra as I did the Mach. I guess jumping into a 500 rwhp cobra I was hoping it might be like my procharged 92 GT, that just scares the crap out of you anytime you get behind the wheel. The cobra layed 479 rwtq.
take a mach1 up to 150 from 0...........

take a 03/04 Cobra up to 150 from 0.............

time both with a stopwatch...........

Nuff said

Mods: SC ported, 2Lbs Lower - UPR 2.80 w/Billetflow 4 pc idlers, BAP, MAF, Borla Stinger CB, K&N FIPK, MGW Shifter, predator tune(+12% fuel/-20 % timing)
Romans8:28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #32
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Ya I know the gears and weight was different but i thought it was the same 4v 4.6 motor? Its not? Well I guess maybe in two years they made some technology updates but I thought the overall design was the same. Just out of curiousity plz elaborate.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:00 PM   #33
Blue Baron NC
KEEP ON A MACHIN ME BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans8:28

Nuff said

Now that's Cobra cool! Rock on Cobra man! Peace!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baron NC
Now that's Cobra cool! Rock on Cobra man! Peace!

Hey they fellow.......... You know your only about 20 miles south of me down there in S Pines.

Go STEELERS (they are on FOX50 in 3 minutes) gonna kick some Redskin booty

Mods: SC ported, 2Lbs Lower - UPR 2.80 w/Billetflow 4 pc idlers, BAP, MAF, Borla Stinger CB, K&N FIPK, MGW Shifter, predator tune(+12% fuel/-20 % timing)
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 PM   #35
Blue Baron NC
KEEP ON A MACHIN ME BABY

'when the Steelers make the playoffs we could meet and checkout the game at a sports bar, if my wife will let me! Lol!
Old 08-26-2005, 08:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baron NC
'when the Steelers make the playoffs we could meet and checkout the game at a sports bar, if my wife will let me! Lol!
Great Idea!

Old 08-26-2005, 08:37 PM   #37
jv7

What hurts the Cobra is the low gearing in the transmission in 1st and 2nd gear. I don't remember what they are but if I remember correctly if you multiply the 1st/2nd gear x the rear end(3.55) of the Cobra it's the equivelent of mutliplying the 1st/2nd gear in the Mach by 2.73., so that's why the Cobra really doesn't pull away from the Mach until they both hit 3rd, which is 1:1 in both cars.
jv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #38
white ghost
"ludicris speed"

Jv7: the cobra and mach have 1:1 ratio in fourth.

Fenix: they do have the same base engine design but they are completely tuned to different uses. the '01 cobra engine is more designed to sing in the upper RPMs where as the mach shines all the way through the RPM band but not so much in the higher RPM's(6500-up) the mach has different cams, a different head design, different ports on the intake and exhaust side of the engine. So really there isn't a whole lot of difference but there is enough that you can't just say that they have the same engine. Don't worry about me just being an azzhole.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 PM   #39
jv7

Sorry typo I meant 4th is 1:1. Thanks.
jv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #40
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by white ghost
Jv7: the cobra and mach have 1:1 ratio in fourth.

Fenix: they do have the same base engine design but they are completely tuned to different uses. the '01 cobra engine is more designed to sing in the upper RPMs where as the mach shines all the way through the RPM band but not so much in the higher RPM's(6500-up) the mach has different cams, a different head design, different ports on the intake and exhaust side of the engine. So really there isn't a whole lot of difference but there is enough that you can't just say that they have the same engine. Don't worry about me just being an azzhole.
Not being an azzwhole, just teaching. He now knows the truth.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 09:46 PM   #41
ponygt65

Quote:
I'm sorry fenix that i have to play the devils advocate on this, but the '01 cobra and '03/4 mach DON'T have the same engine, the shaker helps but not until you reach 80+mph and by that time 10 extra horsepower ain't a whole hell of alot. the performance difference between the WS-6 and regular Trans-am is due to exhaust,suspension and "air-box" the Hood doesn't do **** except look cool! Infact if the two cars where to line up(ws6,transam) with identical drivers then the ws-6 will win by about 1/2 a car until they start pulling on top end then it will get progressively worse. Where as with the Mach and the cobra, the mach will rape the cobra(perfect match) take-off, and get away quick on top-end just due to the fact that it is a better design setup on the engine as far as technology is concerned, not to mention gear selection and weight play a large role.

All very true. I made the mistake of trying to argue the LS1 ram air setup myself. I was put into place, let's just leave it at that.

Previous stangs:
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:53 PM   #42
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire
Maybe so, but ive seen centrifugal setups with the same boost make 100hp more than a roots setup. With that much more hp the difference in when the boost comes on is negligable and personally as long as the engine setup under the hood is neat i dont care what it looks like. People dont determine how good a car looks by the way it looks under the hood. Its also a matter of opinion, as i dont like the way a roots looks on the engine. I would take a chromed out centrifugal setup over the looks of a roots, but everyone has their tastes Whateva floats yer boat.

Same exact boost and 100 more HP? I don't see how. But then again, I am not up to par on all types of S/C's. And it does make a difference. I'll will be at the 1/8 mile mark with my roots already in full boost, while you are at the starting line waiting for it. OK, I am obviously exhaggerating, but you see my point.

As far as the cobra is concerned, you can put a cent. on anything - true, but the cobra has a forged bottom end. So it can and will handle MUCH more than a stock block with the cent. blower. The cobra is mod ready for a lifetime of strip runs.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #43
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat427

They are different cars so they will appeal to different people. I would not say that one is better than other. But I will say that the Mach 1 was the right choice for me.

Exactly.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #44
Iamchris

Quote:

Nuff said
I wouldn't even try to compete with a Terminator on that level

I think the Cobra is being slightly downplayed here, being this is a Mach site. But there is truth in what is being said.

The Cobra was designed foremost as a performance oriented vehicle, the Mach as a show horse.
The "SVT" badging alone on the Cobra insures that no Mustang of the same model year will challenge it, as it is the performance model.
The Mach was never after that though, it was truely built for those who wanted it. It was a tribute to Mustang fans, those who respect the heritage of the true muscle mustang. The Mach is a show-pony foremost, but is by no means devoid of performance. To carry the Mach name, you bet your a$$ this pony was going to be stacked... being the fastest mainstream production N/A Mustang built to date, there is no doubt that the current Mach storms the streets and does its name proud.
I absolutely love the way the Mach was done, ballsy good looks, rumbling V8, and stop light storming power... that last part is my favorite. Built to do what it has always done.
Iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #45
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamchris

I think the Cobra is being slightly downplayed here, being this is a Mach site. But there is truth in what is being said.

The Cobra was designed foremost as a performance oriented vehicle, the Mach as a show horse.
The "SVT" badging alone on the Cobra insures that no Mustang of the same model year will challenge it, as it is the performance model.
The Mach was never after that though, it was truely built for those who wanted it. It was a tribute to Mustang fans, those who respect the heritage of the true muscle mustang. The Mach is a show-pony foremost, but is by no means devoid of performance. To carry the Mach name, you bet your a$$ this pony was going to be stacked... being the fastest mainstream production N/A Mustang built to date, there is no doubt that the current Mach storms the streets and does its name proud.
I absolutely love the way the Mach was done, ballsy good looks, rumbling V8, and stop light storming power... that last part is my favorite. Built to do what it has always done.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-26-2005, 10:49 PM   #46
white ghost
"ludicris speed"

Yeah PonyGT65: there are actually alot of ppl that think that the hood makes a performance difference on the WS6 but it truly doesn't. and here is a little tid bit of info for all you ppl that might never want to know this...... if you were to take a '02 Z28 vs. an '02 Trans-Am it would go like this.......Z out the hole and walking until mid-2nd(around 60-65mph)Trans-am finally tracks up and begins to hawk that Z's *** down like it's sitting still......Now i know all of you are thinking "but their the same car" only on paper my friend. Truth be known the Z is a better drag-style car than the trans-am and thus anyone who has ever run one can attest(atleast if the driver was decent) that the Z is more of a contender out of the hole than a trans-am.

If anyone would like for me to continue this lecture just post up.....I'm full of this sort of info due to the fact that I grew up loving F-bodies, and have a buddy who has only driven them since 16.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #47
ponygt65

Quote:
Yeah PonyGT65: there are actually alot of ppl that think that the hood makes a performance difference on the WS6 but it truly doesn't. and here is a little tid bit of info for all you ppl that might never want to know this...... if you were to take a '02 Z28 vs. an '02 Trans-Am it would go like this.......Z out the hole and walking until mid-2nd(around 60-65mph)Trans-am finally tracks up and begins to hawk that Z's *** down like it's sitting still......Now i know all of you are thinking "but their the same car" only on paper my friend. Truth be known the Z is a better drag-style car than the trans-am and thus anyone who has ever run one can attest(atleast if the driver was decent) that the Z is more of a contender out of the hole than a trans-am.

If anyone would like for me to continue this lecture just post up.....I'm full of this sort of info due to the fact that I grew up loving F-bodies, and have a buddy who has only driven them since 16.

That is interesting. I thought TA's weighed more. If they have the same motor and drivetrain throughout, how would a race be different? So you are saying the same driver will get a better ET out of the Z, but trap a better MPH in the TA?? Same driver? Please tell, I am always eager to learn.

Also, only 16? WHo cares, he is only 18. Just playing.

Previous stangs:
Old 08-26-2005, 11:23 PM   #48
Tomcat427
What a ride it was :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamchris

0-150 I may have to try that tomorrow. I know I can go 0-140 in just about 14 seconds.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #49
Iamchris

I was saying stock.
Whats your trap?
Iamchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:17 AM   #50
Sapperstang

That was a pretty weak comparison. Regardless of how it feels the Cobra is faster. I still want one badly.
K&N filter
SLP Loudmouth catback
Sapperstang is offline   Reply With Quote