2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Wheels & Tires

Old 06-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Ralph Greene

I weighed a stock Mach 17X8 wheel.

Just took delivery of 4 new stock Mach 1 wheels. On same scales that said my FR 500's weigh 28.5 lbs each, the stock wheels weigh 26 lbs each.

Shipping weight is listed at 30 lbs, but axtual weight is 26 lbs. Not light, but not as heavy as some think.
Real Ford FR 500 18X9 Wheels
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Steeda Sport Springs (isolators in)
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Poly Offset Steering Rack Bushings
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Bassani Catback with Removable Baffles
Ralph Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
BlackMach
MachJunkie

Re: I weighed a stock Mach 17X8 wheel.

When I weighed one of my stock Mach 17x8" wheels/245 tire combinations it weighed 50 lbs even.

C&L Trueflow/Cold Air Kit (Stock MAF w/screen), Accufab TB, MRT H-Pipe w/Cats, Street Springs, Magnaflow Exhaust, PHP Intake Spacer, UPR Short Belt Kit, Steeda Alum U & L RCAs, Rear Sway Bar, Chrome Ultra-Lite II 17"x 9" Wheels, XCal 2 Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Alum Girdle, Alum D.S., Alum Trans Pan, Meziere Electric WP, NGK Iridium TR6IX, Odyssey PC925LMJT, Nitto 275/40/17 NT

My Mach 1 Web Site
BlackMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:12 AM   #3
Ralph Greene

That sound correct to me. 245X45x17 tires usually weigh about 24 lbs.

My 255X40X18 tires weigh about the same as stock 245's because while they supposedly are 10 MM wider at the section (on 9" wheel they are a lot wider than 245's on 8" wheel), they have almost 1" less rubber in section height. From tire company web sites that list tire weights, I've noticed that tires get about 1 lb heavier for each 10 MM they get wider.

I don't think a couple lbs matter much on our heavy wheels and tires for street use. But do think 10 lb race wheels with 15-20 lb tires, if they hook, can make a big difference at the track. And obviously saving a bunch of rotating weight, especially far out from wheel centers, would be a big help in braking and acceleration for road racing.

Like most on here, I like the wide look in the rear on our cars, but it doesn't do anything for performance. You can get 1.8 60's on 245 DR's and save about 5-10 lbs of rotating weight helping trap speed on top end.
Plenty of 10 second cars race on 245X50X16 Nitto DR's or 255X50X16 BFG DR's on 16X7-8" wheels.
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats

Last edited by Ralph Greene; 06-04-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
BlackMach
MachJunkie

I totally agree. Even though my chrome Steeda 17x9" wheels weigh 1 lb a piece less than the stock 17x8" wheels, my Nitto 275 NT's weigh 4 lbs a piece more than the stock 245 gator backs. So all told, I gained 12 lbs of unsprung/rotational weight going with my new wheel/tire combo. This was the main reason why I didn't opt for 18" wheels/tires, the other was cost.

As for weight savings in response to my new wheel/tire combo, I shaved off a pound when I went with the Gorilla tuner lugnuts, and another 9 lbs when I removed the dogbone (didn't need it after the 4.10 gear install).

I was seriously considering running Nitto DR's in the rear all the time since my Mach is not a daily driver, but I've heard the weaker sidewall would effect handling. A good compromise might be to go with the new Nitto Extreme II tires. They have a thicker sidewall and the softer tread compound of the DR's.

But I totally agree that a separate set of light-weight wheels and real stickies would be best for the track.

C&L Trueflow/Cold Air Kit (Stock MAF w/screen), Accufab TB, MRT H-Pipe w/Cats, Street Springs, Magnaflow Exhaust, PHP Intake Spacer, UPR Short Belt Kit, Steeda Alum U & L RCAs, Rear Sway Bar, Chrome Ultra-Lite II 17"x 9" Wheels, XCal 2 Custom Tune, FRPP 4.10 Gears, Alum Girdle, Alum D.S., Alum Trans Pan, Meziere Electric WP, NGK Iridium TR6IX, Odyssey PC925LMJT, Nitto 275/40/17 NT

My Mach 1 Web Site
Old 06-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #5
Ralph Greene

Are your lug nuts acorn style or allen headed?

I no longer have the long stock lug nuts used on the Mach wheels, and only have the Ford shorter ones that fit the FR 500's. But on my previous Mustang I had BBS RK wheels and their lug nuts were very light, but taper seemed (I thought) different from the Ford taper, so I am leary about non Ford lug nuts. Maybe I need to learn up on them like you did. Maybe taper the same. Lighter is better.
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Old 06-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
BlackMach
MachJunkie

They are acorn style, but each requires a special tool for removal/installation (locking type of sorts). The new Gorllia tuner lugs are definately smaller, but they have more threads on them than the stockers. Here's a pic of what they look like installed (you can hardly see them):

http://home.att.net/~sqandbh/wsb/med...1/site1072.jpg

My Mach 1 Web Site
Old 06-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Ralph Greene

Thanks
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Old 06-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMach
I totally agree. Even though my chrome Steeda 17x9" wheels weigh 1 lb a piece less than the stock 17x8" wheels, my Nitto 275 NT's weigh 4 lbs a piece more than the stock 245 gator backs. So all told, I gained 12 lbs of unsprung/rotational weight going with my new wheel/tire combo. This was the main reason why I didn't opt for 18" wheels/tires, the other was cost.

As for weight savings in response to my new wheel/tire combo, I shaved off a pound when I went with the Gorilla tuner lugnuts, and another 9 lbs when I removed the dogbone (didn't need it after the 4.10 gear install).

I was seriously considering running Nitto DR's in the rear all the time since my Mach is not a daily driver, but I've heard the weaker sidewall would effect handling. A good compromise might be to go with the new Nitto Extreme II tires. They have a thicker sidewall and the softer tread compound of the DR's.

But I totally agree that a separate set of light-weight wheels and real stickies would be best for the track.
I ran the Nitto DR's 275/40/17 on 17x9 replica Mach 1 wheelsin the rears all last summer on street and track and think they handle great around turns. I also ran them this year after replacing my rear stock suspension and it felt like a go-cart on the street and winding roads retaining the front factory goodyears.

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
BlackMach
MachJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil

I ran the Nitto DR's 275/40/17 on 17x9 replica Mach 1 wheelsin the rears all last summer on street and track and think they handle great around turns. I also ran them this year after replacing my rear stock suspension and it felt like a go-cart on the street and winding roads retaining the front factory goodyears.
Not saying your wrong or anything, I believe you, but according to this article the Nitto Extreme RII tires handled even better than the DR's:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../0310mm_nitto/

My Mach 1 Web Site
Old 06-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #10
Phil
Nitrous Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMach
Not saying your wrong or anything, I believe you, but according to this article the Nitto Extreme RII tires handled even better than the DR's:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co.../0310mm_nitto/
Good article. I never drove a vehicle with those Nitto Extreme RII but, they sound like awesome street tires. I know comparing my 17" Nitto DR's to the factory Goodyears, the DR's feel better on the rear.

Performance mods by Jeff Chambers, the owner/tuner of CRT Performance in Norwalk, Ohio
http://www.crt-performance.com/
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #11
Ralph Greene

I have thought about using 2 of the AFS 17X9 Mach wheels on rear. I have bought sets of 4 twice, and never used them. Both times sold them for what I paid for them. They weighed 28.5 lbs each on same scale I weighed these other wheels. They do look nice on rear with 275X40x17 tires.
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Old 06-04-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
Ralph Greene

The owner of my previous owned 98 Cobra, with over 600 RW uses the Nitto 555 R11's for street use on rear BBS RK 18X10's (21 lb wheels). DR's don't handle as good as them, but he thinks DR's hook a tad better, even for street use, with their softer more flexible sidewalls. But he is extreme case with 600 RW, I think Nitto 555 R11's better for most for street use. With 100 tread wear index, don't expect long life.
255X40X18 Michelin Tires
Tokico HP Struts/Shocks
Steeda 4 bolt CC Plates
Steeda TriAx Shifter
Magnaflow X/Cats
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #13
blown03Mach1
8LB YNER

I have the AFS 17x9 Mach 1 Black chrome rims and 274x45x17 GS-D3's. I gained 6lbs per rim/tire. Stocks were 50lbs even and I am now 56lbs apiece.

TR 2003 (Jezebel) sold Mar 12...
blown03Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
daddy rob
TWISTED MARINE

my 18X10 bullit rims are 20 pounds with no tire, I dunno about with my 305 35 18 nitto drags on em probly 50 or 60
  • catless pro chamber,loudmouth catback,frpp alum flywheel,frpp king cobra clutch,frpp alum d/s,mgw short throw,frpp 31 spline tracloc,frpp 3.73 gears,strange 31 spline axles,sloted cross drilled rotors,hawk brake pads,mm tube k member,a arms, adj lca,panhard bar,strut tower brace,frame conectors,tq arm and c/c plates,bilstein struts/hyper coilover front,bilstein hr springs rear,motoblue hp series fuelrails,bullit rims,nitto drag rears,fram air hog filter,all royal purple oils
daddy rob is offline   Reply With Quote