2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Exhaust System

Exhaust System Exhaust Q & A

Old 05-01-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
JeffreyDJ
Born to be (almost) Stock

Question Help with Exhaust install and placement of jack stands

Quote:
Originally posted by alex04mach1
can somebody tell me which is the safe place to lift the rear when using the floor jack? i was looking at the book for a gt and it points to the rear axle. i thought it was bad to lift it from the middle part? or you just do one side of the axle at a time, lift it with a floor jack and place a stand then go to the opposite side? appreciate the help. thanks.
Copied from another thread, but I didn't want it to get lost.

Hate to sound like a newbie, but can someone answer that for him and me? I'm planning to start in about an hour, and would like some help.

I don't want to place the stands on the axle, because I want the axle to drop as much as possible. I was going to jack, and place the stands at the jack points as I jacked it up. One on each side, one at a time. Does this sound right?
Borla Stinger, K&N filter, resonator plug. That's it, for now.
View My Mach
JeffreyDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
JeffreyDJ

Bueller, Bueller ...
View My Mach
Old 05-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Jack it from the center of the pumpkin just get under it past the lip of the cover so you dont bend the lip of the cover and put the stands as far out ward as you can.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
Drilled/Slotted rotors all 4 corners.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
2k4mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
grodgers
I *need* boost...

FWIW...

Quote:
Originally posted by 2k4mk1
Jack it from the center of the pumpkin just get under it past the lip of the cover so you dont bend the lip of the cover and put the stands as far out ward as you can.
This is *exactly* what the service manual, in big bold letters, with exclamation points, says !not! to do.

I'm sure folks have done it all along, and haven't hurt anything, but I'm just regurgitating the manual...

I'd jack one side, put a jack stand under it, and then likewise on the other side.

Some Loud Stuff
Some Look-Good Stuff
Some Go-Fast Stuff
grodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Re: FWIW...

Quote:
Originally posted by grodgers
This is *exactly* what the service manual, in big bold letters, with exclamation points, says !not! to do.

I'm sure folks have done it all along, and haven't hurt anything, but I'm just regurgitating the manual...

I'd jack one side, put a jack stand under it, and then likewise on the other side.
I jacked mine from the ctr and had no problems. Thats is whty I said go in frt of the lip bcuz the bottom of the pumpkin is flat they donot want you jacking on the skinny little lip. look at the rearend from in frt of the rear tires and you will see. By the way your supposed to read the owners manual.lol

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04

Last edited by 2k4mk1; 05-01-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
machburger

Quote:
Originally posted by 2k4mk1
That's what I did also. But when I was putting the new exhaust over the axle, I had to move the jack stands right behind the subframe connectors temporarily to lower the axle a little bit. As soon as I got the exhaust over the axle, I retuned the stands to the axle (safer position).
--Mods: K&N, Resonator Plugged, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Complete Alpine & Crossfire Sound System, Borla Stinger Catback, MAC Prochamber, ASP Solid Motor Mounts, UPR Extreme Firewall Adjuster, MM Clutch Quadrant, MM Poly Rack Bushings, Eibach Pro-Kit
--Future Mods: NONE...THE EX-WIFE IS GETTING IT IN THE DIVORCE!!
machburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #7
JeffreyDJ

Quote:
Originally posted by machburger
That's what I did also. But when I was putting the new exhaust over the axle, I had to move the jack stands right behind the subframe connectors temporarily to lower the axle a little bit. As soon as I got the exhaust over the axle, I retuned the stands to the axle (safer position).
Well, I had temporarily given up.The jackpoint I found beside the subframe connector didn't seem to strong. Looked like it would be right up (and in fact made a teeny tiny indentaion).

I know I'm just being retarded. I should have planned ahead and asked a friend to come over today and help as well. I'd have been doing it by myself, so it would have taken forever anyway.

I may end up just taking it in Monday morning and letting them do it.
View My Mach
Old 05-01-2004, 07:35 PM   #8
2k4mk1
Lakers beat our butts

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyDJ
Well, I had temporarily given up.The jackpoint I found beside the subframe connector didn't seem to strong. Looked like it would be right up (and in fact made a teeny tiny indentaion).

I know I'm just being retarded. I should have planned ahead and asked a friend to come over today and help as well. I'd have been doing it by myself, so it would have taken forever anyway.

I may end up just taking it in Monday morning and letting them do it.
I put my cat back on by myself in the garage in under an hour it is real simple to do once the car is up it is just 4 bolts and pull the hangers out of the rubber grommets.

04 Oxford White
5 Spd with IUP
K&N Aircharger
Borla Stingers
SLP Catted X
Steeda Tri-Ax
SCT flash tune.
283rwhp (Mustang Dyno)
306rwhp (sae on Dynojet)
D/O/B 12-05-03
Del. 01-21-04
Old 05-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #9
loathe
SHAKEN, Not Stirred!

im so small i can fit under the car no problems... hehe but I always jack mine on the subframe connector.
loathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:41 PM   #10
JeffreyDJ

Quote:
Originally posted by loathe
im so small i can fit under the car no problems... hehe but I always jack mine on the subframe connector.
Well, I kinda had a success. I decided to use the Ford jack points even though it was bending up the "notch" they said to use. No one will see it.

My *NEW* biggest problem. I have to go buy myself a new jack, as the one I have (and the car one) didn't really raise it enough for me to get underneath very well once the jack stands were in place.

I'm not BIG, but I'm not small either. I'm 6.0'' and about 175, but I sure couldn't squeeze myself up under there toward the front where it meets the H.

Maybe I should have used ramps in the front. Oh well, just delayed a day. I really do appreciate everyone's help.
View My Mach
Old 05-01-2004, 11:58 PM   #11
threetime
THEBLISTER

when i did mine, i backed it up on some tire ramps and put the system(SLP) on without jacking anything. BUT it was a little difficult getting the bend over the axle, but enough manuevering and it went right into place. i know that might sound like the hard way but i was by myself and was scared that the car could fall on me with no help. you could drive it on the ramps and jack on one side at a time when you need a little more space. just a thought. good luck.

drive it like you stole it
threetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:50 AM   #12
rcodemach1

Mustangs usually are jacked under the pumpkin since the rear end is fairly light. I've done it for years, but it puts *a lot* of stress on the pumpkin and axle tubes. Try to visualize the forces involved, and you'll see what I mean. The stress can easily affect the relationship inside the pumpkin between the ring and pinion gears. Makes you wonder why Mustang gears can get a little whiny doesn't it?

"Hmm, they sing a little right at a steady cruise of xxx mph, did they always do this?".

Sound familiar?

I jacked up a '98 exploder this way and I've noticed a slight howl ever since. Not really sure if it was there before I did the work...

As for dinging up the underside sheet metal and/or subframe connectors, you can get some thick rubber pads to put between the jack and the metal. That should help. I'm pretty anal about not denting up the bottom of the car with the jack or stands. It sickens me what some of the shops will do when raising your car, so be careful if you take it in.

'03 Mach, Oxford White, 5-spd, Eaton
'03 Mach, Black, automatic (parting out)
'98 GT, 410w, C4, Vortech

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 01:35 PM   #13
JeffreyDJ

Yeah, I'm reassessing. Getting slight dents or bends was my main oncern in the whole process. Car Ramps were my first idea, I was just worried I wouldn't have enough room even then (over the axle).

The shop I was considering was a pretty good muffler shop, so they drove the car right up on the ramp, and then raised it. I still may go that route, but haven't decided.
View My Mach
Old 05-03-2004, 03:36 AM   #14
rcodemach1

Jeffry, I didn't mean to single you out, that was just general advice if somebody runs across it in a search.

Nice pics by the way. Also, my car is meant to be pretty stock as well, but the mods seem to find their way onto the car somehow ;-)

'03 Mach, Oxford White, 5-spd, Eaton
'03 Mach, Black, automatic (parting out)
'98 GT, 410w, C4, Vortech

rcodemach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #15
Greg Matty

Why not place a section of 2"x8" between the jack and the car? The wood will compress and deform and spread the weight out evenly. That is what I would do.

Having said that, I still have not installed my Magnaflow as I have been to busy driving. I'll buy a set of Rhino Ramps and hopefully that will get me up high enough. I am sure the back will be okay but I don't know about the front. Maybe I'll roll the front tires on to 4" of 2"x10"? That will get me a little more clearance in the front and I should be ready to go?

Greg
Greg Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 AM   #16
ZincDude
Slow Mach 1

I put the jack stands on each end of my hitch. Oh you guys don't have one of those.
ZincDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #17
JeffreyDJ

Well, I took it in.

I couldn't ever find my floor jack (we moved recently, and I've either lost it, or misplaced it somewhere). And the scissor jacks (as documented above) just don't cut it.

By the time I bought a new floor jack I'd have spent as much it'll cost for the install.

The good news is I'll have it back this afternoon! Whoo hoo! I'll try and get a small clip of it made and post it up for you all to see (and hear).

And yes, RCode, I held out for the longest time, now all of these little things are creaping up on me. My new plan is to keep it *looking* as stock as possible!
View My Mach
Old 05-03-2004, 03:02 PM   #18
ZincDude
Slow Mach 1

The Borla's sound so amazing. That's all I have to say!!
Old 05-03-2004, 03:26 PM   #19
JeffreyDJ

Just picked it up, here are my thoughts:

They SUCK!

No, just kidding. They are amazing. The tone is perfect. Very controlled and low and rumbley. A friend came out to the parking garage to listen, he agreed.

Another friend, who staid in the building said they were LOUD inside as well. The parking garage is not attached directly, but across an alley. He also said it sounded a bit redneck, but he's not into cars. I don't think it's redneck, but it definetly sounds faster.

In the cabin: Very quiet at idle. Outside a loud enough burble that you know they're there.

When you stomp the gas: They get FREAKING loud very quickly, especially outside the cabin.

At Cruise: If the RPM's are lower, in the cabin it's not bad at all. Borla claims they engineered to not drone or introduce too much noise in the cabin at cruise and idle. I beleive it.

The only thing that will take some getting used to is the tips stick out a bit further then stock. I'll learn to like it, but I'll feel a bit pimpin' for awhile.

Another note: The stock unit compared to this is MUCH heavier. I'm not sure of the exact weight difference, but it was very noticable when carrying the old to my wifes Explorer.

I couldn't be happier. I'll take some video when I get home and post it in a different thread.

JJ
View My Mach
Old 05-03-2004, 05:16 PM   #20
ZincDude
Slow Mach 1

I was able to move my tips back without any problem. Don't like them sticking out. The right tip is a little off center so I'm gonna do some more adjusting.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:37 PM   #21
TorchRedAuto

Thanks for posting your comments Jeffrey, mine arrived today and I can't wait to get home and check them out! Looking forward to your videos:THUMBSUP:
O/R Prochamber
C&L CAI
Diablo tune
FRPP 4.10 gears
TorchRedAuto is offline   Reply With Quote