2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #26
USMCWeatherMan

Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

I just recently retired from active duty in the Marines. Finished my computer science degree off-duty. Getting ready to take a stab as a Java Developer. Java was my degree focus language, although I did dabble in PHP, VB, SQL, and some UNIX scripting.

I see there's some other software guys here on the forums, any tips/advice for an older (39 years old) starting out at the bottom of the totem pole in the software field?

My job in the Marines wasnt the most exciting, so I think I'll be ok with working on projects that arent really interesting. I just need some experience.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #27
monsterbrad

Well I am 36 and have had to restart 3 times already.

If its something you enjoy and the stress is minimal go for it.
Sometimes being happy is more then the amount you make.
Take it 1 day at a time and be open about learning.
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #28
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCWeatherMan View Post
I just recently retired from active duty in the Marines. Finished my computer science degree off-duty. Getting ready to take a stab as a Java Developer. Java was my degree focus language, although I did dabble in PHP, VB, SQL, and some UNIX scripting.

I see there's some other software guys here on the forums, any tips/advice for an older (39 years old) starting out at the bottom of the totem pole in the software field?

My job in the Marines wasnt the most exciting, so I think I'll be ok with working on projects that arent really interesting. I just need some experience.
I think that would be a pretty cool job. I know you hear so many horror stories about how programmers are treated horribly and have impossible deadlines, but I wonder if that depends more where you work..? What I've always wanted to do (since discovering it) was to use languages like Java (and others) to communicate with instrumentation for testing etc. The times that I've worked with programming groups for that purpose and completing applications was really rewarding. This was especially true when they were asked to make apps or web apps for mobile devices work with instrumentation. That really got the programmers going LOL.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #29
matthayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mach1 View Post
Rotorcraft Pilot.

Wish I could help with the bordom. I'm 23 years into that at the same job. Same everything. Some say find a 20 year old girlfriend, some say God makes all things new again. Id like to win the lottery and try both.
Same. 25 and I am so eager to do something else. Same routine every day, although each day presents its own challenges in this job no doubt. I do stay busy, I don't get bored much, but I'd rather be running my own business...

I've learned to develop the amnesia after I leave work too. It works for the weekend you know. Staying in the same routine is easy, so how do you break the cycle? That's the tough part.
IG: boostedmach
matthayn is offline   Reply With Quote