2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Take it as a given you are financially stable enough to retool your skill-set and start a different career (e.g. go back to school, get certifications, or whatever);
what would it be?

in my youth, I was a follower of the Lloyd Dobler career mentality

bad video alert

just got the notion to be a high school physics, chem, math teacher so I can have summers off. just really tired of sitting behind a desk 8-10 hours a day.

maybe a more relevant question: how do you get thru the onset of mid-life-crisis where every day for the last 15 years has been exactly the same causing a persistent feeling of boredom?

_
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Rotorcraft Pilot.

Wish I could help with the bordom. I'm 23 years into that at the same job. Same everything. Some say find a 20 year old girlfriend, some say God makes all things new again. Id like to win the lottery and try both.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach351 View Post
How do you get thru the onset of mid-life-crisis where every day for the last 15 years has been exactly the same causing a persistent feeling of boredom?

Unless your one of the .0000001% that love your job, were all in the same boat. I've been at my job for 23 years and have been burnt out on it for the last 10 years. I've learned to just do my job the best I can and then develop amnesia the minute I walk out the door after my shift is done. I don't want to think about that place at all. I'm putting in for a medical retirement due to health problems, but I have no desire to work again. I have to agree with Peter Gibbons. I will be happy just sitting on my azz doing nothing.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I have to agree with Peter Gibbons. I will be happy just sitting on my azz doing nothing.
What I would do with a million dollars

Best wishes to you and for your health in the future, sir.

I can't complain about my job, I do like it.
But it is just a means to stuff I really like... eating, air conditioning, comfy bed, fishing, shooting, burn outs...
Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 PM   #5
JDraper
On Permanant Vacation

After 24 years of the rat race (most of it with GE), I decided it was time for an early retirement and bailed. Haven't been this happy or calm in years...
18 Ford Explorer XLT
17 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
16 Fusion SE AWD Ecoboost
10 Fusion SE V6
66 289 Mustang Hardtop Restomod
JDraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
Procharged2k3

I'm a software developer. I always enjoyed this stuff as a hobby, but **** it makes for a boring actual job... since I'm not working on software I find personally interesting.

Not sure what else I would do though at this point.
Procharged2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

I never minded the work I have to do at my job. It wasn't the physical aspect of the job. It was the mental aspect of the job. You have to deal with working alongside the laziest workers ever, and people in management that were even lazier. The worst workers are praised as being the best workers. That wears on you after decades of putting up with it. These days you can't look a gift horse in the mouth. I did the job strictly for the pay and benefits. Now I can leave and put that nightmare behind me.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #8
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procharged2k3 View Post
I'm a software developer. I always enjoyed this stuff as a hobby, but **** it makes for a boring actual job... since I'm not working on software I find personally interesting.
i did Computer Science for college. started programming on a TI-99 in eighth grade and it just clicked. (that inch-worm module was rocked for all it was worth)
It is more fun when you pick your own projects. I did a "quasi" Voight-Kampf machine from Blade Runner in Visual Basic; a Connect Four game in LISP; and a really miniature airline scheduling program in C++.
Then ended up supporting a billing and account maintenance platform in a COBOL/CICS/DB2 IBM mainframe shop for 7 years. A year after the Y2K melt down, that and a subsequent job went off-shore; so I transitioned into a document jockey (aka Business Systems Analyst). May as well try to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs as attempt to code anything now.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #9
Procharged2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach351 View Post
i did Computer Science for college. started programming on a TI-99 in eighth grade and it just clicked. (that inch-worm module was rocked for all it was worth)
It is more fun when you pick your own projects. I did a "quasi" Voight-Kampf machine from Blade Runner in Visual Basic; a Connect Four game in LISP; and a really miniature airline scheduling program in C++.
Then ended up supporting a billing and account maintenance platform in a COBOL/CICS/DB2 IBM mainframe shop for 7 years. A year after the Y2K melt down, that and a subsequent job went off-shore; so I transitioned into a document jockey (aka Business Systems Analyst). May as well try to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs as attempt to code anything now.
Visual Basic! <3

That's awesome stuff. I grew up on QB and VB when I was younger, I still have a soft spot for it and play around with it now and then.
Procharged2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
jbrad88
Original Owner

Helicopter Pilot...Always wanted to fly an UH1...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #11
SLO-RIDE

OK, I'm 56 yrs old and I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I've worked in a TV cabinet factory, machine shop, as a welder for 16 yrs., and now I work in a control room to run a coal fired power plant. I always thought it would be a great job to be in law enforcement. My daughter is, and I'm so **** proud of her. She loves her job and enjoys going to work. To me, that sounds great, but I've never been there. I like the $$$$ that is linked to my job, but the excitement level is at a world record LOW. Hats off to our law enforcement people, they are who the rest of us count on when things get ugly.
SLO-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:16 PM   #12
littlemags
finally paid for

Actually did my job that I really enjoyed. Medical fetal abnormalities research....super interesting BUT compensation sucked. After my master's...I changed professions due to pay....went into the collision business. Make six figures..wouldn't change it for nothing...
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:29 AM   #13
kingbri1
Mach Master

Feel the same.. I'm retiring after a 20 year career very soon. I think I may go back to school full time (paid for.) I just cant decide what to study! Always thought full time school as a job would be fun...and learn stuff!
JLT Intake
Scott Hoag Signed!

Last edited by kingbri1; 07-16-2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typo
kingbri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #14
not a gt

Marine Biologist, wound up in a Federal Prison
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
SLO-RIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
Marine Biologist, wound up in a Federal Prison
That's where my daughter is. A federal prison. She is the first female in the history of Lewisburg Prison, a super max site to become "Correctional Officer of the year" She is now a case manager. My hats off to you for your service.
SLO-RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #16
HamMach1
A.D.D. FTL

Apache Pilot. Can still take a stab at it but the idea of being in the military again pains me a little. Now I have just been sitting behind a desk and rotting for the last 3 months. I die a little inside every time I step foot into my cubicle.
HamMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #17
TKat13
Mach-T

If money was not an issue; I would open my own shop. Build cars/trucks in the back half and repairs in the front half. Be an honest repair shop, period!
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 PM   #18
mongosmach

Smile Re: What do you want to be when you grow up?

a archeologist heir jones
mongosmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:24 AM   #19
hotrodnut
Mach 1 Hot Rod Nut

Since the 70s I've wanted a kit car business, now I want to build Factory Five cars. I want to build, sell and service them for others to enjoy.
But, as engineering has kept me going since 1972 (and financially ok) I just can't seem to get there.
I feel as HamMach1 said he did every day that I go to my office.

2003 TR

Pro-5.0 Shifter, Hurst Stick -- K&N Air Filter -- Predator canned tune -- BBK Long Tubes and Catted H-pipe -- SLP "Loudmouth" Catback w/ MRT Blackchrome Tips -- Illumina Struts / Shocks w/ MRT Rear Race Springs -- UPR Tubular Coilover K-member Kit -- Steeda Strut Brace, 4-bolt CC Plates, Alum Weightjacker LCAs, Adj UCAs -- MM Panhard Bar -- FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft & 3.73 Gear -- Racing Sparco Lightweight Wheels -- Hurst Roll Control
hotrodnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 AM   #20
sutyak
it's soo-tack

I've also been in software for years now. If I weren't afraid of losing the love for my hobby by opening a speed shop I'd be doing that. Most people I know that open a shop never get time to wrench on their own rides.
So I suppose I wouldn't do anything different up to this point. Future I'd like to have a full-blown welding setup and do some custom fab work on the side.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:39 PM   #21
Fauxnali
What's Shakin'

I always wanted to be an automotive design engineer.
I was always drawing cars as a kid. My Mom let me draw on my walls. I drew a Porsche Pickup Truck about 3/4 size on my bedroom wall back in 1989, a full 15 years before the Cayenne came out. I guess that was my farm boy roots shining through. It was vey similar in look to the Cayenne actually, and it had a stepside box on it with "testarossa" vents built into the front of the flared rear fenders for brake cooling.

Then, growing up on a small family farm, I didn't have the money or the marks (the marks were my fault, no excuse for that) to go to post secondary, so I became a welder. Now 20 years and several careers later with the same company, I am a major account manager for the Caterpillar dealership up here in Alberta. I love my job and the financial compensation is such that my wife gets to be a stay at home Mom and we are loving life. Funny how things work out sometimes.

1985 Mustang GT T-tops
Sold

2003 Azure Blue
IUP Automatic
One of 453
#2290 of 9652
Built on February 24th 2003
Eibach Pro-Kit, no ISO's in rear
Magnapacks CatBacks
Mac O/R X-pipe
K&N Drop in filter
4.10 Ford Racing Gears
SCT Tuned by Bama
Best 1/4 13.34 @ 104.40

Instagram @johnny_kipp
Fauxnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #22
rsnider

Asking others for advice on this topic is only good for direction, not suggestions. It is one of the most personal decisions you will ever make. Your wife (or significant other) would be number one and sorry car guys... your vehicle choice are a ways down the list.

There would be a list of personal characteristics that describe you that should be considered first. Do you like being alone or working in groups, are you artistic, do you like a strict regimen or routine, etc. Could your hobby or special interest turn into a career that would support you and your family?

I myself retired from a job that I enjoyed by taking a buy-out. I thought it was time to start volunteer work. My wife and I are financially stable, certainly not rich. But my job as Supervisor of Mechanical Maintenance for a large high school district (12-3000 student campuses) didn't give me any feeling of fulfillment.
I decided that my fondness of the outdoors and dogs would be perfect for K9 search and rescue. I've been in the field for five years now.
I would recommend talking to those in the field that interests you the most. They can tell you if the field is collapsing or they may also give you suggestions for related fields that are growing.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0901 compressed.jpg  
rsnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM   #23
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
If money was not an issue; I would open my own shop. Build cars/trucks in the back half and repairs in the front half. Be an honest repair shop, period!
^This!

...and I would love to take courses on all the new scanning and troubleshooting equipment and be able to test them out too. Also, be able to do a fix it forward kind of thing for people in need.
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #24
Tommy Z

Ha, I just applied for a mechanical engineering position at Warren Cat down here in Texas.

Honestly, I just want to design/improve engines, transmissions, or hydraulics on anything mechanical.

Sent from my microwave with wifi.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Spec 2 & Fidanza flywheel
★ H&R Super Sports & Maximum Motorsports struts/shocks
★ Maximum Motorsports rear lowers, MM panhard, MM caster camber plates
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Brembo slotted rotors, braided lines
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R
Tommy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #25
fastlane

I've been in computer networking for 27 years now and if I could drop this and go do anything else, it would owning a performance car shop. I've always wanted to build/work on fast cars.
fastlane is offline   Reply With Quote