2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
shadowmaker

Mustang wrecks

This is my 1st Mustang and believe it or not, I have never spun a tire or even turned the traction control off.

With all the recent videos of Mustangs wrecking, I have noticed 1 thing in common with all of them. It looks like as long as they are on the gas, everything is fine but once they let off, look out. It appears as though 1 tire is spinning faster than the other and when the slower tire hooks, around she comes.

I have burned my share of rubber but I have never had the rear end spin around when I let out of the throttle like I am seeing in these videos.

I know people are saying "they cant drive", "they cant handle the power" etc etc. But, what is the real issue?
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #2
Mach351
Psycho Dog is Psycho

Re: Mustang wrecks

in most of the videos I've noticed going viral, I think stupidity has a lot to do with it.

there is a little hypocrisy in my statement of this, however...

when I bought the '04 Mach, it had cheap Sumitomo tires on it that wore really fast and were horrible in the rain.
after they wore a little, I unintentionally had the car sideways twice with these tires on wet roads within a couple of weeks of each occurrence. it wasn't two days after the second time it happened that they were replaced with good Pirellis.
never had an issue since.

if I had a tuner, the traction control would be permanently off. when the Mach was a daily driver, it became so instinctive to turn it off after starting the car that most of the time I didn't realize I was doing it anymore.
they should have made the button to turn it on... when I want it, i'll press the stupid button.
Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

If the car is pointed one way and the steering wheel the other and you and you instantly lift you get what they call snap oversteer and the car slings the opposite direction. It's difficult to recover from there

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #4
NastyNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG2003Mach1 View Post
If the car is pointed one way and the steering wheel the other and you and you instantly lift you get what they call snap oversteer and the car slings the opposite direction. It's difficult to recover from there
this sounds about right!
As for the Traction control...I just fixed my ABS (bad fuse) and noticed my traction control was working again.But it doesnt interfere like it used to. It allows me to spin the tires a good bit. My tuner musta have adjusted the TCS and man it work very well!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:17 AM   #5
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

I have found that the Mustang suspension is a bit unpredictable at random times.
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #6
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
this sounds about right!
I know because Ive had it happen to me, but it was an open area and nobody/not much of anything around...still scared the **** out of me, thankfully it was at relatively low speeds.

These accidents leaving car shows are people who dont know WTF theyre doing trying to show off, it gets away from em and they dont know what to do.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM   #7
not a gt

Quote:
I know because Ive had it happen to me, but it was an open area and nobody/not much of anything around...still scared the **** out of me, thankfully it was at relatively low speeds.

These accidents leaving car shows are people who dont know WTF theyre doing trying to show off, it gets away from em and they dont know what to do.
A line lock keeps it safe
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
A line lock keeps it safe
ya but it doesnt really come into play when you're screwing around like that

Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
iudelt89
United We Stang

A lot of the video's I've watched, the guys do a 1-2 shift which sends the car sideways, they keep their foot down, then abruptly take their foot out of it once they start fishtailing. This spins the car.

It's driver error and a perfect example of why you shouldn't jump into a high horsepower rwd car without learning proper driving techniques.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #10
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudelt89 View Post
A lot of the video's I've watched, the guys do a 1-2 shift which sends the car sideways, they keep their foot down, then abruptly take their foot out of it once they start fishtailing. This spins the car.

It's driver error and a perfect example of why you shouldn't jump into a high horsepower rwd car without learning proper driving techniques.
that and a good portion of them havent straightened it out before putting their foot down in 1st

Old 04-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
TKat13
Mach-T

All driver error and it is really tough to explain to someone how to do it; like my daughter told me when she was teaching me how to surf; 'you have to feel it' lol .

but, most wrecks are because they are over-correcting the spin, yanking the wheel and when they lift the throttle the wheel is still turned left or right, not straight; and the car goes in that direction real quick. Or, you have those idiots that think they are a master drifter, still over corrects and does not want to admit defeat and keeps doing the wrong thing compounding the problem. Basically, drivers that have not figured out how to 'Feel It'.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #12
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

^^^ and thats why I would love to be able to get out to one of those huge wet skidpads where you can just slide some crappy car around for a while.

ive spent plenty of time traveling sideways and sliding around on my ATVs, not so much in a car.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #13
iudelt89
United We Stang

Quote:
^^^ and thats why I would love to be able to get out to one of those huge wet skidpads where you can just slide some crappy car around for a while.

ive spent plenty of time traveling sideways and sliding around on my ATVs, not so much in a car.
Find a big open parking lot. Me, I'd love to find a place to try out the Finnish Flick
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
shadowmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
All driver error and it is really tough to explain to someone how to do it; like my daughter told me when she was teaching me how to surf; 'you have to feel it' lol .

but, most wrecks are because they are over-correcting the spin, yanking the wheel and when they lift the throttle the wheel is still turned left or right, not straight; and the car goes in that direction real quick. Or, you have those idiots that think they are a master drifter, still over corrects and does not want to admit defeat and keeps doing the wrong thing compounding the problem. Basically, drivers that have not figured out how to 'Feel It'.
Its funny bc that make sense to me. I learned from driving on muddy back roads and snow. Unfortunately, I think with traction control on newer cars/trucks, I'm rusty.

But I still dont understand why it's just the Mustang doing it. I dont see any videos of Camaros or Challengers.

Here's a video of VIR, which is pretty close to me. Skip to the 1:30 for the wreck. Still cant figure out what the guy did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bkvxcjZN0

When I first bought the Mach, friend of mine knew I had never owned a Mustang. First thing he said was be careful, the rear end like to come around. This is a guy in his 50s.

I guess my main reason for this post is, is there something in the suspension that I need to change to stop or minimize the rear end coming around? Or is it really all in the driver like suggested.?
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmaker View Post

I guess my main reason for this post is, is there something in the suspension that I need to change to stop or minimize the rear end coming around? Or is it really all in the driver like suggested.?
It is going to sound a bit odd; but the best thing I did to make corner exit more predictable and the car track straight was adding a set of MM full length subframe connectors. It help is a big way!
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 04-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #16
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
Here's a video of VIR, which is pretty close to me. Skip to the 1:30 for the wreck. Still cant figure out what the guy did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7bkvxcjZN0

When I first bought the Mach, friend of mine knew I had never owned a Mustang. First thing he said was be careful, the rear end like to come around. This is a guy in his 50s.
Looks like he 'stabbed' the throttle at a transition when the rear suspension unloaded. There is a dip right there as well. Not saying it is 100%, but when I raced online at iRacing where they scanned this track; I wrecked there a ton until I figured out the suspension unloaded there, I figured it out by watching real racing events on you tube. There is a reason why so many tires are there. This is really not a mustang issue rather many type of cars have issues there. Throttle has to be smooth; not a stab. But that is my online contribution; let the real racers answer.
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
Old 04-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #17
Fauxnali
What's Shakin'

These guys need to learn to feather the pedal a little.
First rule of a rear wheel power slide is no sudden movements.
As soon as you let off that gas hard those back tires will grab and anywhere your front tires are pointed, you're going.

1985 Mustang GT T-tops
Sold

2003 Azure Blue
IUP Automatic
One of 453
#2290 of 9652
Built on February 24th 2003
Eibach Pro-Kit, no ISO's in rear
Magnapacks CatBacks
Mac O/R X-pipe
K&N Drop in filter
4.10 Ford Racing Gears
SCT Tuned by Bama
Best 1/4 13.34 @ 104.40

Instagram @johnny_kipp
Fauxnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #18
99 SVT

Quote:
In my experience for failings in the suspension, the biggest things you can do to mitigate that snap oversteer condition is to use subframe connectors and aftermarket lower control arms.

When the car is sliding sideways like that the chassis and stock, stamped control arms with rubber bushings flex a lot. When the driver lifts, all of that stored energy is released and the car snaps back unpredictably. Changing those parts out makes it much more predictable, but it can still happen if you don't know what you're doing.
99 SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
monsterbrad

After years of living in the north and dealing with snow and rear wheel drive cars.
This is all
DRIVER ERROR
learn how to control what you have.
These young people frustrate me.
Drifting is a talent either you have it or you don't
And most DO NOT.
Be safe and don't do burn outs where you risk hitting anything.
Save it for back roads or by your self.
Drag race on the track!
monsterbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:10 AM   #20
Fauxnali
What's Shakin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbrad View Post
After years of living in the north and dealing with snow and rear wheel drive cars.
This is all
DRIVER ERROR
learn how to control what you have.
These young people frustrate me.
Drifting is a talent either you have it or you don't
And most DO NOT.
Be safe and don't do burn outs where you risk hitting anything.
Save it for back roads or by your self.
Drag race on the track!
+1 on that!
I live in Canada, and grew up in the country. Driving on gravel roads taught you to learn how to let the car float around a little at 50+ miles per hour. As soon as you tried to make any adjustments to it floating around a little you would only make it worse.

1985 Mustang GT T-tops
Sold

2003 Azure Blue
IUP Automatic
One of 453
#2290 of 9652
Built on February 24th 2003
Eibach Pro-Kit, no ISO's in rear
Magnapacks CatBacks
Mac O/R X-pipe
K&N Drop in filter
4.10 Ford Racing Gears