2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Power Adders

Power Adders Superchargers, Turbos, Nitrous, etc...

Old 11-03-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
chronomitch

Vortech V3 SCi vs Si

I'm about to order a Vortech kit for my Mach 1. It's going to be a tuner setup, to which I will add a CXRacing intercooler kit. My question is, would it be better to go with a V3 SCi or V3 Si blower? Keep in mind I'm running a stock engine that will hopefully last a long time *knock on wood*.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much good information out there to help me decide. From what I have garnered, they are pretty much the same blower, except the SCi units have a cut-down impeller which does not flow as much air at higher speeds. The original Mach 1 kits came with an SCi unit, while the New Edge Mustang GTs were paired with an Si unit. I think the underlying reasoning for this was that the Mach 1 had a higher redline, which meant that a larger pulley would need to be used with an Si unit compared to an SCi unit to keep the amount of boost at redline the same. Of course, this would also mean that mid-range boost would be lower with an Si unit. This is just my guess, though.

My assumption here is that it shouldn't really matter in the long run. Even if I do decide to build an engine with a bit lower compression (9.5), which would only allow 13-14 max boost on 91 octane pump gas, I'm assuming that an SCi unit will still be able to achieve that, especially if replace with CXRacing intercooler with a Treadstone one.
chronomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Mach828
Dark Knight

Re: Vortech V3 SCi vs Si

I would spend the money on go with an Si right from the start. Otherwise you will just be wanting to upgrade down the road (like me). The Si will let you run a bigger pulley as well, (to achieve the same power as a smaller pulley with the S) which gives you more room to stick with the 6 rib setup.

With no other changes the Si is worth a few lbs over the S trim throughout the curve. It is more efficient which means more power because it is producing more cool air and less heat. Lower air temps, denser air, more power everywhere and a faster car.

I would also spend the money to get a treadstone right from the start. You'll have less pressure drop so again, more air going to creating power.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
jeffrey1

Why not just go Pro charger
jeffrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
chronomitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
Why not just go Pro charger
Because I live in California, and the Vortech unit is CARB approved. The Procharger units are not.
chronomitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
jeffrey1

Dam I did not no that
jeffrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #6
Mach828
Dark Knight

Plus the vortechs are faster...everyone knows that

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote