2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:54 AM   #1
Procharged2k3

Occasional white smoke and dipstick smells like gas

My car has recently been blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. It wasn't bad, and it was occasional. Today it was worse than ever. Still not a constant thing, but at one point I looked behind me and I basically smoke screened the entire street. This was just normally driving, pulling out of a parking lot. Maybe hit 2500 RPM tops. It seems to happen mostly after idling for a few minutes.

Now that the car has been in the garage for a few hours and it's mostly cold, I went and checked the dipstick. Oil smells fairly strongly of gas. I'm thinking this is not good at all...

Oil color is normal. It looks very clean. I don't appear to be losing any oil, although it was just changed last week.
Procharged2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #2
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Re: Occasional white smoke and dipstick smells like gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procharged2k3 View Post
My car has recently been blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. It wasn't bad, and it was occasional. Today it was worse than ever. Still not a constant thing, but at one point I looked behind me and I basically smoke screened the entire street. This was just normally driving, pulling out of a parking lot. Maybe hit 2500 RPM tops. It seems to happen mostly after idling for a few minutes.

Now that the car has been in the garage for a few hours and it's mostly cold, I went and checked the dipstick. Oil smells fairly strongly of gas. I'm thinking this is not good at all...

Oil color is normal. It looks very clean. I don't appear to be losing any oil, although it was just changed last week.
Time for a compression test. Sounds like oil getting past the rings and excessive blow-by getting into the crankcase.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

is it hard to start as well? Maybe the FRPS let go... if you go to the driver side fuel rail theres a black plastic sensor toward the front of the motor with a vacuum line going to the bottom side of it. If you pull that vacuum line off it and theres fuel in there (id run the car for a minute first so it wont have evaporated) the FRPS has failed and needs to be replaced. If thats the case you need to change your oil as well

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
Procharged2k3

I'll check the FRPS first. Really hope it's not my rings. That would be nuts, I've only got 27k miles! Ugh. It does seem to run perfectly, and I don't notice any loss of power.

It's not hard to start at all unless it's been sitting not driving for a few days. Then it takes a few tries.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 AM   #5
311-420
Can't be bridled

Oil will always smell like the fuel type you're running. That's 100% normal. I bet you're in need of a catch can or oil separator. I'm ordering a Steeda today. Seems the jlt ones don't work from the research I've done. May not be a bad idea to check the frps too as dsg mentioned they have been known to pop, mostly on the cobras but since you're supercharged now it may be a possibility.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:51 AM   #6
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

^^ thats a good point, you may want to see if theres oil in any of your intake, personally Id probably just disconnect the pipe at the throttle body and look in there.

I believe when the FRPS pops it typically dumps so much fuel the car runs poorly due to being pig rich

Old 10-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
JeromeMach1

If the smoke coming out of your exhaust is indeed white as you said, then it has more to do with burning water, not oil. If the smoke was blue then I would be concerned about burning/consuming oil.

Some white smoke (from condensation) will come out of the exhaust when the car is first started and shortly after. There certainly should not be a bellow of smoke behind you down the street though.

Check your water/coolant level.

Jerome
Custom cams by NASVT
Nazty PSR
SAE 420rwhp
SAE 387rwt
1.56 60ft
11.44ET
122.1mph
1700 DA
JeromeMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Procharged2k3

It's really normal? It's a fairly strong smell, and fresh oil has only been in there a little over a week. Catch can is something I have been thinking about. Wonder if I should get a compression and leakdown test to make sure nothing more serious is going on first.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #9
Procharged2k3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeMach1 View Post
If the smoke coming out of your exhaust is indeed white as you said, then it has more to do with burning water, not oil. If the smoke was blue then I would be concerned about burning/consuming oil.

Some white smoke (from condensation) will come out of the exhaust when the car is first started and shortly after. There certainly should not be a bellow of smoke behind you down the street though.

Check your water/coolant level.

Jerome
I think it's actually more of a very light grey. I checked the coolant, it isn't losing any and it's not at all milky either. Normal color.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
bluoval

I'm ordering a Steeda today. Seems the jlt ones don't work from the research I've done.

I have the JLT oil separator/catch can and it works beautifully.
bluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
bluoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
Oil will always smell like the fuel type you're running. That's 100% normal. I bet you're in need of a catch can or oil separator. I'm ordering a Steeda today. Seems the jlt ones don't work from the research I've done. May not be a bad idea to check the frps too as dsg mentioned they have been known to pop, mostly on the cobras but since you're supercharged now it may be a possibility.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:12 PM   #12
Procharged2k3

Oh I actually have breathers on my valve covers now instead of feeding the crankcase vent back through the intake. Not sure if this matters.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
sutyak
it's soo-tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procharged2k3 View Post
Oh I actually have breathers on my valve covers now instead of feeding the crankcase vent back through the intake. Not sure if this matters.
That matters a lot. Now you know it's not crankcase oil in your intake. Wish I was closer. A compression test only takes about 15 minutes on these cars.
2003 DSG Mach 1. 12.65 @ 106 (sold)
sutyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #14
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

ya, running breathers takes that out of the equation.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #15
311-420
Can't be bridled

If you're using breathers on both sides then it's not blowby. Id start checking the fluids for anything abnormal then do a compression test.

Edit- looks like I was beaten by these guys ^^
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 10-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #16
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
Good to know. What's your exact setup? I know with sc'ed cars the prefilters and separators from jlt do not work well. Lots of data to support this in the terminator section of svtp. If you're n/a, that would likely change things and they may indeed serve their intended purpose.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 10-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #17
littlemags
finally paid for

you STILL can have blowby with vents...you still build large amounts of intake pressures with boosted applications...white smoke a LOT could be a lot of things...compression check is quickest way to self assurance....check plug gallaries...oil can seep down in and make a mess...pull upper intake and check for oil run off...
could be just accumulation of condensation as well...boosted apps create a lot of heat FAST and then once cooled fast water settles in....

2nd thing to check is coolant leak...could be nothing BUT make sure vehicle isn't overheating or anything like that. (compression check will rule out anything major)

worse case could be a headgasket....and again...compression test will rule out and confirm.
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

^^^ definitely wasnt trying to say it cant be blowby but its not sucking it through the pcv system into the intake track so no need to look for oil in the pipes or look at oil separators

Old 10-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #19
Procharged2k3

I'll definitely get a compression test. I'm wondering if it's my valve seals though. Bad rings or cylinder wall would probably be pretty unusual for a 27k mile car. Something I read online just increased my suspicion of the seals too. I just last week changed my oil and used Mobil 1 synthetic. The car always had Motorcraft blend until this.

Read post #5 here: (the thread isn't mine)

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-...t-replace.html

Quote:
What kind of oil are you running? On my Mach anything but Valvoline High Mileage 5w-30 would puff smoke and startup and sometimes when leaving a stoplight. It was especially bad the time I tried Mobil1 synth.
Thinking about changing it again for Motorcraft and seeing if there's any change.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:15 PM   #20
JeromeMach1

Quote:
I think it's actually more of a very light grey. I checked the coolant, it isn't losing any and it's not at all milky either.
Light grey would be closer to fuel than oil. Smoke when burning oil has a blue tint to it, not white or grey.

Glad your coolant looks good. Like others said here, perform a compression test. Inspect each plug as you pull them. See if they are black, white, or have fresh oil on them.

Jerome
Old 10-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #21
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeMach1 View Post
Light grey would be closer to fuel than oil. Smoke when burning oil has a blue tint to it, not white or grey.

Glad your coolant looks good. Like others said here, perform a compression test. Inspect each plug as you pull them. See if they are black, white, or have fresh oil on them.

Jerome
if youre gonna pull plugs Id probably throw in a fresh set if for no other reason than to have a better read on them if you have to keep trying to diagnose

Old 10-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #22
bluoval

Quote:
Good to know. What's your exact setup? I know with sc'ed cars the prefilters and separators from jlt do not work well. Lots of data to support this in the terminator section of svtp. If you're n/a, that would likely change things and they may indeed serve their intended purpose.
I'm N/A so maybe that's why I've been ok.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #23
JeromeMach1

Quote:
if youre gonna pull plugs Id probably throw in a fresh set if for no other reason than to have a better read on them if you have to keep trying to diagnose
Good suggestion, I agree.

Since the OP has a boosted car I suggest TR-6 gapped at .032in. For high boost and timing go with BR7EF gapped at .032in.

Jerome
Old 10-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #24
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
I'm N/A so maybe that's why I've been ok.
After more reading it looks like there's as many that have had success with the jlt stuff as there were people that didnt, maybe even more. Seems like having a large canister is key because the smaller ones get full more quickly and won't catch oil at that point.
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
Old 10-31-2015, 07:24 AM   #25
bluoval

Quote:
After more reading it looks like there's as many that have had success with the jlt stuff as there were people that didnt, maybe even more. Seems like having a large canister is key because the smaller ones get full more quickly and won't catch oil at that point.
I've had my JLT oil separator for a few years. A couple years ago, JLT issued a recall on the inner element inside the can (which catches the oil). They sent all customers a replacement element at no charge (although I thought my original inner element worked fine). I was impressed JLT took such proactive action on such an issue. Nothing but respect for JLT in my book.