2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 11-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
blk 04 mach 1

seat covers replacement

anyone have a good lead on where to get factory seat covers for ones that are wearing out? The local ford house says they do not make them... Thoughts?
blk 04 mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Pennington

Re: seat covers replacement

TMI makes a reproduction cover. The promo pictures they show look good. I don't know how good they are in real-life.
Pennington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
brtnstrns

I plan to go through TMI when the time/money comes to redo my seats. I haven't seen the Mach 1 repros in person, but I have seen TMI covered seats in a classic and the quality is super impressive. I've also never read a single bad review of them, only good things said.
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

From what I understand the foam for the TMI covers are different and need to be changed out also.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Pennington

As I understand it, their foam will not work with the OE/NOS covers but their covers will work with OE/NOS Ford foam.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:50 PM   #6
liv2roc

I heard they were made a little different. something about no linkweave inserts are different
Old 11-26-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
blk 04 mach 1

Thanks for all the input.... I have noticed some slight cracking at the front edge of seat where my knee bends... I hate that the Mach 1 does not have much in spare parts at any vendors. seems like the mach 1 is a left out part of the mustang family.... well i am also going to look for some seats on ebay... Thanks for the heads up abut TMI. I also have a 66 fastback should have thought about TMI cause of my old girl.....
Old 11-27-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
USMCWeatherMan

LMR sells the TMI kit.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...ach%201%20seat
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #9
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

I installed the TMI Mach1 vinyl fronts. I reused my original foams which I would not recommend doing. Over all I am happy with the covers. The sticking could have been done a little better but It beats the heck out of torn up seats. You will see in the last 2 pics the difference in the pattern.

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...psef050342.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps8bce9972.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps3de61dfc.jpg

http://i790.photobucket.com/albums/y...ps9b2c8a4b.jpg
VA-Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
liv2roc

wow that's a big difference in the pattern. my drivers seat is starting to look bad and by the looks of that I would have to change them all to match.
this picture on cjpony http://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-uphol...-2004/p/U56-V/
show it looking like original seats.
Old 11-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #11
Pennington

That is truly very different. The Comfortweave does not match whatsoever. I suppose a solution would be to have a professional upholsterer swap the center portions with the OE Comfortweave, assuming your side bolsters are the problem.

VA-Mach1: How many miles are on your original foam? I wonder if they are too far gone with age/use and thusly don't fill in the vinyl. Or perhaps the vinyl is the issue. Could their leather ones fit better?
Old 11-29-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington View Post
That is truly very different. The Comfortweave does not match whatsoever. I suppose a solution would be to have a professional upholsterer swap the center portions with the OE Comfortweave, assuming your side bolsters are the problem.

VA-Mach1: How many miles are on your original foam? I wonder if they are too far gone with age/use and thusly don't fill in the vinyl. Or perhaps the vinyl is the issue. Could their leather ones fit better?
My Mach has a LOT of miles. So I think it was a combo of wear and slight differences in manufacturing. The passenger seat did fit better (has less wear). I don't think the leather would have fit any better. Using TMI foams with there covers would be the best option. Only the seat and back rest tops are leather. The front sides and back of the front seat are leather, and I don't think the rear seats have any leather at all.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #13
Pennington

I've got to say, if you're not going to be 100% accurate with the seat covers, you might as well go full-bore and go way off the mark. I think the oxford white ones with the charcoal stripe look great, regardless of what color the car is!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #14
blk 04 mach 1

VA-mach1 so you dont think chnaging the seat cushion would have helped with a better fit on the drivers seat? it just sucks that the comfort weave is not available anymore! Thanks for the pics and sharing your info!!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #15
VA-Mach1
Mach & Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk 04 mach 1 View Post
VA-mach1 so you dont think chnaging the seat cushion would have helped with a better fit on the drivers seat? it just sucks that the comfort weave is not available anymore! Thanks for the pics and sharing your info!!!!
No, I do think using the TMI foams with the TMI covers would be the best option. I have a low budget. So I did not order new TMI foams. I reused my old foams. I also did not order the leather covers. Leather is nice but is way more maintenance, and does not last as long as vinyl. I went to every local upholstery shop trying to find a match for the comfort weave with the hopes of repairing my old seat with no luck.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:17 PM   #16
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

The story goes that the company that made the comfortweave inserts for Ford was in Argentina(?) and went bankrupt. Those molds are supposedly lost. With all of the companies doind seat covers and modern technology, I am surprised that no one has managed to properly replicate them.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #17
Pennington

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
The story goes that the company that made the comfortweave inserts for Ford was in Argentina(?) and went bankrupt. Those molds are supposedly lost. With all of the companies doind seat covers and modern technology, I am surprised that no one has managed to properly replicate them.

Agreed. To be honest, they look very similar to, if not identical, to the center portions on Lightning upholstery.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #18
blk 04 mach 1

Thanlks VA-mach1!!!! i do agree with you Falcongtho3 I thought that TMI would be able to get it to an exact science since that is a majority of their business...
Old 11-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #19
Pennington

The question needs to be asked/considered: Are you going for originality?

If yes... Keep hunting.
If not... Get the TMI covers. My suggestion is (as I already said), if you don't care about then not being OE/NOS Ford, go bold. Get them in charcoal with the red stripe. Or, the white ones. That would be a unique touch.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:16 PM   #20
Jesse R

I just installed the tmi kit myself last month and its a great kit. I got new foam for the drivers seat but kept the stock foam for the passanger seat since nobody ever sits there. Its a nice kit and looks close to stock to the unknowing but its not the comfort weave. It fits nice and looks great. The new foam feels great and installation wasnt that bad but it was tedious. Definitely pick up a heat gun to work the material over the foam
Jesse R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:34 PM   #21
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse R View Post
I just installed the tmi kit myself last month and its a great kit. I got new foam for the drivers seat but kept the stock foam for the passanger seat since nobody ever sits there. Its a nice kit and looks close to stock to the unknowing but its not the comfort weave. It fits nice and looks great. The new foam feels great and installation wasnt that bad but it was tedious. Definitely pick up a heat gun to work the material over the foam
in car please.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #22
blk 04 mach 1

trying to keep original but its a hard hunt for some mach 1 seats in good shape... i have seen a lot of wrecked mach1's and it just makes me cringe to go through them.... The Mach 1 is such a rare mustang...
Old 12-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #23
Pennington

Quote:
trying to keep original but its a hard hunt for some mach 1 seats in good shape... i have seen a lot of wrecked mach1's and it just makes me cringe to go through them.... The Mach 1 is such a rare mustang...
Funny thing is, it really isn't. There were close to 17,000 of them built. I think it just has to do with the sheer number of unique parts specific to the car - spoiler, decals, Shaker-related substance, etc. - and their cost to produce for spares and for the secondary market to manufacture.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #24
bbford97

Quote:
anyone have a good lead on where to get factory seat covers for ones that are wearing out? The local ford house says they do not make them... Thoughts?
if it just the drivers side back get the fabric from a good passenger side all the is needed is put a small hole for the back release. The only thing you would see is the hole for the passenger side release,

Auto, Kooks LT, O/R X, Borla cat back, JLT warm air, Rich's infamous air diverter with 164302 miles. Has seen rain wind and fire. boss 330 motor blew up less than 300 miles junk! Now have a MMR 5.0built April 2011 now have 65K milles turned 12.44@ 110 July 2013 , 12.66@111.10 April 2014 Thanks Mark.
bbford97 is offline   Reply With Quote