2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 09-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
BADNBLUE

cheap uppers and lowers?

Gonna do my rear this winter you know the usual axles gears. I figure since im back there I may as well do the uppers and lowers. I have a brand new set of cheap tubular uppers and lowers sitting here in the box like as in no name brand. lol So what do ya think should I trust them and use them or drop the coin on some good ones. I had a set of cheap ones on another car I use to own and had great luck with them meaning I beat the dog snot out of that car and had no problems. It was a nitrous and geared gt with stickies. So lets hear some opinions. Only reason I am considering this is because I already have them sitting around.

CURRENT RIDES:03 zinc yellow mach1 not stock anymore!
BADNBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #2
j rick kirby

Re: cheap uppers and lowers?

NEVER use anything on the top other than stock unless you get rid of them altogether with a TA and PHB or Watts.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
not a gt

I cringe every time I hear this, I have UPR Uppers.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
I cringe every time I hear this, I have UPR Uppers.
I have poly uppers, poly diff bushings, and poly lowers. So you are not alone. Mine has had uppers for 50k+ miles and has been fine on the street, drag strip, and road course. They are the cheap SVE brand too.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
I have poly uppers, poly diff bushings, and poly lowers. So you are not alone. Mine has had uppers for 50k+ miles and has been fine on the street, drag strip, and road course. They are the cheap SVE brand too.
You're lucky that it hasn't torn up your torque boxes and it causes unnecessary bind in the rear suspension which causes ill handling characteristics. Now is when you say that your car handles just fine and then I say that you have nothing to compare it to.
HPDE Instructor
Old 09-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
You're lucky that it hasn't torn up your torque boxes and it causes unnecessary bind in the rear suspension which causes ill handling characteristics. Now is when you say that your car handles just fine and then I say that you have nothing to compare it to.
I welded the entire upper and lower torque boxes. It handles fine, but I agree, it is far from great. I've driven better setup cars before and am envious. The 4 link design is garbage. Mine does bind at times.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:47 AM   #7
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
The 4 link design is garbage.
Yep!!
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
j rick kirby

Quote:
I welded the entire upper and lower torque boxes. It handles fine, but I agree, it is far from great. I've driven better setup cars before and am envious. The 4 link design is garbage. Mine does bind at times.
Put the stock uppers back on and it will help.
HPDE Instructor
Old 09-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
not a gt

Quote:
Put the stock uppers back on and it will help.
May do this before Oct 10th.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
May do this before Oct 10th.
I didn't experience the binding until I did poly diff bushings. You are probably okay as long as you have stock diff bushings.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #11
TKat13
Mach-T

Quote:
NEVER use anything on the top other than stock unless you get rid of them altogether with a TA and PHB or Watts.
I am not disagreeing but more on an educational side, although I fully understand the binding with using some uppers with poly bushings but there are also times where you need to use aftermarket uppers.

Such is the case where I needed to make a pretty substantial adjustment for my pinion angle and I used adjustable uppers to get this angle dialed in.

I used Wolfe race craft uppers, double adjustables and I also have the spherical bushings installed. My question, having spherical bushings on both ends, does this improve the binding condition even over stock arms?

To view what I am talking about, here are the links: Spherical bushings and Upper Arms from Wolfe Racecraft.

Of course the Spherical bushings go into the third member housing, just seems like it would have much less binding than even the rubber bushings.

Eitherway, I needed to adjust my pinion angle so the stockers were no longer an option.
(100 shot,E85,4:10s,Street tire):60 ft - 1.67 | 1/8 - 7.88
New build - 750rwhp; not track tested (yet)
Mods: Build Log
Paint&Body
Tuned by Manny @ HPP
TKat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
BADNBLUE

Also interested if spherical fixes the binding issues. If not I guess I will keep the stock uppers. Really wanted to loose the quad shocks in the back.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #13
not a gt

If I'm not mistaken Blue, I think you can lose the quads with lowers only keeping the stock uppers, could be wrong here, someone will let me know lol, I just remember reading here somewhere that if you change LOWERS you could remove quads.
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
Old 09-08-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
j rick kirby

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken Blue, I think you can lose the quads with lowers only keeping the stock uppers, could be wrong here, someone will let me know lol, I just remember reading here somewhere that if you change LOWERS you could remove quads.
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Just have to try it and see. When I took mine off I got some wheel hop.
HPDE Instructor
Old 09-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKat13 View Post
I am not disagreeing but more on an educational side, although I fully understand the binding with using some uppers with poly bushings but there are also times where you need to use aftermarket uppers.

Such is the case where I needed to make a pretty substantial adjustment for my pinion angle and I used adjustable uppers to get this angle dialed in.

I used Wolfe race craft uppers, double adjustables and I also have the spherical bushings installed. My question, having spherical bushings on both ends, does this improve the binding condition even over stock arms?

To view what I am talking about, here are the links: Spherical bushings and Upper Arms from Wolfe Racecraft.

Of course the Spherical bushings go into the third member housing, just seems like it would have much less binding than even the rubber bushings.

Eitherway, I needed to adjust my pinion angle so the stockers were no longer an option.
The problem with the uppers is that they are angled and when the axle articulates they need to be able to actually change length and the rubber allows that to happen. Any material stiffer than the rubber creates more bind than what is already there due to the crappy design. So for a street driven car or track car the stock uppers are best. For a straight line drag car poly or spherical bushings are fine.
HPDE Instructor
Old 09-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
BADNBLUE

Ok I think the next question here would be is there any reason to even change the lowers then? I probably should be clear here that car is 95% street driven 5% drag strip.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
Nekasrof
Hillclimb Extraodinaire

Quote:
The problem with the uppers is that they are angled and when the axle articulates they need to be able to actually change length and the rubber allows that to happen. Any material stiffer than the rubber creates more bind than what is already there due to the crappy design. So for a street driven car or track car the stock uppers are best. For a straight line drag car poly or spherical bushings are fine.
Too true!!

Motor + Procharger + driver = Baddest hillclimbing Mach 1 in the country
Mustang dyno: 538hp/481tq @ 14lbs/19deg timing
DynoJet comparison: 600hp/539tq

Looking for more hillclimbers!
Nekasrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADNBLUE View Post
Ok I think the next question here would be is there any reason to even change the lowers then? I probably should be clear here that car is 95% street driven 5% drag strip.
The two have nothing to do with each other. It sounds like you are just wanting to do something to your car. SFCs some will argue should be the very first mod, have you done those?
HPDE Instructor
Old 09-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #19
BADNBLUE

Yes I have sub frame connectors sitting here ready to go on. I guess what im looking for just isn't possabile. I swore after my last car, pic in sig, I wouldn't do another full on drag car to drive on the street mainly because of the ride and suspension noise. Everything was solid on that car. But man could that car get down. Just trying to get the best of both worlds. streetable quiet and Ill just go ahead and say it.... I want this car to dead hook on the street I know its incriminating lol. Just want everthing to be up to par to handle that but without the noise and still handle decent.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #20
ASH302
Soldier for Christ

I would say use em and see, if not drop the money for some good ones

ASh
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
Mach828
Dark Knight

If you already have them, I'd just install them and see what you think. At least do the lowers.

If you decide to slap on them uppers, I'd weld the torque boxes though. And if it binds or feels worse, then put the stock ones back on.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #22
j rick kirby

Quote:
If you already have them, I'd just install them and see what you think. At least do the lowers.

If you decide to slap on them uppers, I'd weld the torque boxes though. And if it binds or feels worse, then put the stock ones back on.
If it binds....that's funny!
HPDE Instructor
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #23
Mach828
Dark Knight

Quote:
If it binds....that's funny!
Correction...when it binds.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #24
Tommy Z

Get some lower control arms. Delete one upper control arm and with the money you would have spent on uppers, pick up a panhard bar. This is THE go-to simple rear end upgrade that doesn't break the bank. This alone makes the rear end sooo much better.

2003 Torch Red Mach 1
★ Rebuilt 3650 & MGW
★ Spec 2 & Fidanza flywheel
★ H&R Super Sports & Maximum Motorsports struts/shocks
★ Maximum Motorsports rear lowers, MM panhard, MM caster camber plates
★ Mosers + ARPs
★ Brembo slotted rotors, braided lines
★ Catless X and SLP LM2s
★ 18X9/10.5 - Toyo R888R
Tommy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

do the panhard bars and such typically clear the stock exhaust ok?

when I did my 2 car parts swap I took both the upper and lower steeda arms...all the stock parts got sent away on the other car including the quad shocks. I havent driven it enough to really check out the difference

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote