2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 02-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
j rick kirby

Need Fuel Pump Suggestions

Mine is out. My motor is stock but I track the car frequently. Is there an upgrade that would not work as hard under WOT and if not where is the best place to get a stock replacement?
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
88BlkStngGT

Re: Need Fuel Pump Suggestions

Not saying this is the place to buy, just letting you know BBK has a an upgrade over stock. If you don't have many miles on your ride, try the SVT Focus pump.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-fu...0lph-0104.html
88BlkStngGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
not a gt

http://www.lethalperformance.com/wal...-04-cobra.html

I am using this at 82% duty cycle and making 457/425, true plug and play.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
Mach828
Dark Knight

What brand of pump does BBK use? Surely they didn't develop their own.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post

This looks like the best option. You have any other comments?
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
j rick kirby

Quote:

Lethal said that car would need a tune after installation. Wazup widat?
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #7
Mach828
Dark Knight

Mine ran fine after I switched from stock to a 255lph Walbro.

Needing a tune or not after upgrading to a higher flowing pump is a big debate. I personally think your car will be find without a tune. If you do the pprv delete and run a direct hose and drilled canister, I'd probably get a tune.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
j rick kirby

Quote:

Ordered yesterday. Thanks.
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-26-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
96gt02

Go to autozone and ask for an airtex E2448, this is the SVT focus Fuel Pump and even though the box is Airtex when you open it up and look at the pump it is a Walbro guaranteed! Walbro makes Airtex and the pump will be branded all Walbro and US Made. Onlys cost about $67 too!
96gt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
DaGerdMan

fore innovations return fuel system. best way to go. No fuel cut or hesitation. dual pumps. by far the best way to go!
2004 Black Mach 1 (Vortech V3, Anderson Power Pipe, 90MM MAF, 42lb Injectors, PHP Intake Spacer, 340lph Aeromotive, Vortech Maxflow Boost-a-Pump, Built Rear End w/ 4.10 31 Spline axles, CHE axle brace, Team Z Street Beast Control Arms, Tri/Ax, Kurgan Dyno Tune)

2012 VW TDI (daily driver)
DaGerdMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96gt02 View Post
Go to autozone and ask for an airtex E2448, this is the SVT focus Fuel Pump and even though the box is Airtex when you open it up and look at the pump it is a Walbro guaranteed! Walbro makes Airtex and the pump will be branded all Walbro and US Made. Onlys cost about $67 too!
I spoke with a Walbro engineer yesterday and he said that the pumps were made right outside his office. He confirmed that they make many of the Ford, GM and Chrysler OEM pumps and that the pumps that are sold as Walbro meet the same durability standards as the OEM they are just less expensive. He also confirmed that they make the Airtex and several other aftermarket pumps but some of them are a lesser grade product than the OEM and Walbro labeled pieces depending on what the customer wants. When I asked him if the Airtex pump was inferior he just laughed and wouldn't answer the question and suggested that I stick with the pump sold as Walbro. He also said that there are some other aftermarket pumps that are Chinese junk that actually have the Walbro logo and part # but are counterfeit. So my conclusion is that I should stick with the Walbro labeled pump for both price and durability. Oh, concerning durability, he said that they are designed to meet a minimum service life of 3,000 hours but in reality they are good for 4,000-5,000 hours. Good and informative conversation.
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #12
bluoval

I hope the one I bought below is not an inferior pump made by Walbro and/or from China.....

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-625697...1998-2011.html
bluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #13
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
I hope the one I bought below is not an inferior pump made by Walbro and/or from China.....

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-625697...1998-2011.html
Hard to know. For one it doesn't say who makes it which is a little scary.
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
not a gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
Ordered yesterday. Thanks.
Glad it worked out, concerning the tune, with our fuel system being a Pulse whatever, I would think even though yes it can flow more, the COMPUTER is the one who is going to determine how much fuel is needed,(more is there if needed) hell it isn't a Holley Double pumper, those dayds are gone...IMO of course.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #15
j rick kirby

Quote:
Glad it worked out, concerning the tune, with our fuel system being a Pulse whatever, I would think even though yes it can flow more, the COMPUTER is the one who is going to determine how much fuel is needed,(more is there if needed) hell it isn't a Holley Double pumper, those dayds are gone...IMO of course.
Ah the ole Holly double pumper. Had one on my 70' mach1. Yeah when I was talking to the Walbro engineer he confirmed that a tune is not necessary. Heck, they recommend the same pump for the 3.8 V6. He said that the new pump would be working way under capacity even during my WOT road course adventures.
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
lcaptmorg

Have to have a tune, NO

Should have a tune yes. It will help with drivability, idle, hesitations.

Some of the experienced tuner chime in but the fuel voltage table would be changed correct. If not every time the memory is cleared the ecu would have to relearn all of the values.

Plug and play focus pump is a no brainier. Cheap, easy and super easy to swap tunes values.
lcaptmorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 AM   #17
bluoval

Quote:
Hard to know. For one it doesn't say who makes it which is a little scary.
They have a lifetime guarantee, so they will be getting a call from me if I have any problems in the future...

"High Flow Performance brand fuel pumps and fuel pump accessories have a Lifetime Warranty. If your item should fail at any time, we will replace it at no additional cost. The buyer must contact High Flow Performance at 1-818-574-3835, or email sales@highflowfuel.com to obtain approval prior to returning any item"
Old 02-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #18
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluoval View Post
They have a lifetime guarantee, so they will be getting a call from me if I have any problems in the future...

"High Flow Performance brand fuel pumps and fuel pump accessories have a Lifetime Warranty. If your item should fail at any time, we will replace it at no additional cost. The buyer must contact High Flow Performance at 1-818-574-3835, or email sales@highflowfuel.com to obtain approval prior to returning any item"
Well that is comforting. By the way do you have to drop the tank to change pump or is there an access door in the trunk?
HPDE Instructor
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
bluoval

Quote:
Well that is comforting. By the way do you have to drop the tank to change pump or is there an access door in the trunk?
Yes, the tank must be dropped and I've been told it's a messy job - but not necessarily that complex. I took mine to the dealer and they charged me a couple hundred labor to do it - money well spent in my book. The High Flow Fuel Pump I mentioned is the perfect plug and play unit and the dealer had no trouble installing once the tank was dropped. There are lots of do-it-yourself folks on this registry who'd just assume save the labor costs and do this job themselves, but I gladly had the dealer take this job on for me.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Mach828
Dark Knight

Dropping the tank is not too bad, besides finding and disconnecting all the EVAP lines and the fuel neck. If you can change your own brake pads and rotors, you can pull the tank.

The good thing about doing it yourself is you can flush the tank out and ensure its clean. Another step to prevent future pump failure.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #21
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
Dropping the tank is not too bad, besides finding and disconnecting all the EVAP lines and the fuel neck. If you can change your own brake pads and rotors, you can pull the tank.

The good thing about doing it yourself is you can flush the tank out and ensure its clean. Another step to prevent future pump failure.
Thanks Mach828
HPDE Instructor
Old 03-02-2014, 11:55 PM   #22
FastSVO

Dropping the tank is much easier when empty. Just take your time. I made a holder from a 2x4 and a piece of plywood to help with the jack and holding the tank. Also ntake your time raising the tank back up into place.
FastSVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #23
j rick kirby

Project complete and thanks for all your help guys. Only casualty was a plastic clip that goes on the EVAP line to tank connector. Ford only sells the whole EVAP line assembly and not just a clip. I put a zip tie on it and called it a day.
HPDE Instructor
Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #24
Mach828
Dark Knight

Glad to hear it went well. EVAP clip causalities are common. Zip tie solution was a good move.