2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
iudelt89
United We Stang

Jeep Electrical Issue

Hey guys, already posted about this over on the Jeep forum, but figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone on here had any ideas about this. I've had batteries die in my cars before, but have never had any electrical symptoms like this. I'm still thinking it is battery related, but the symptoms are very strange. I apologize in advance for the long post, but any insight would be appreciated

So my Grand Cherokee has been doing some strange things recently, and finally will not start without a jump. A few weeks back I turned on the ignition and the guages started jumping around all over the place and it wouldn't start. No clicking, literally nothing. I turned the key to accessories on and off a few times, let it sit for a minute or two while the guages continued bounce all over the place, then it reset itself and started. Everything worked, all power options, radio, guages, etc.

After that point however, the trip meter, avg mpg, and pretty much everything in the overhead computer kept resetting randomly when I would turn the car off then on again. Once it was running though, everything was fine and worked normally.

So fast forward to this morning. The car won't turn over at all, and the guages are bouncing all over the place even when the key is not in the ignition. The interior lights came on, but are extremely dim. There is a clicking sound coming from one of the relays behind the fuse box in the driver's side footwell. I tried disconnecting the battery for a while, no dice. I was able to jump it, and once started, everything worked fine again. As soon as I turned the car off again, the guages started boucing all over the place even with the key out, and once again it will not turn over at all.

I had the alternator and battery tested a couple weeks ago after the first incident, and everything was fine. They recommended I replace the PCI bus and guage cluster due to what I was describing. I was thinking this might be a PCI bus issue, but the symptoms don't match what I've read about it and its not exactly a cheap part. I don't want to replace the guage cluster, because it works perfectly when the car is running. The last thing I want to do is just start replacing random parts. I'm thinking it could be a bad relay because of the clicking sound, but then why would jumping it work? I am completely at a loss here and I can't seem to find anything about this happening on the Jeep forum. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I'm thinking maybe a bad ground somewhere?
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
bris09

Re: Jeep Electrical Issue

Sounds like a low voltage issue. Check the cables for corrosion. Check to make sure there isn't a loose connection on one of the wires coming off of the battery.
Enough to not be the slowest, but nowhere near enough to be the fastest.

17 Fusion Sport
Now faster than the Mach

96 Laser Red Cobra Vert
For those days you just wanna cruise with the top down

89 Shelby CSX
Still rocking the VNT and Fiberides.
bris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
shadowmaker

What yr? 95-98 by chance? Do you have the alarm? If so, check the plug that says the rear hatch is open. The rear hatch switch is a known problem. Caused me 6-9 months worth of hell and 2 batteries.

If you want to test it without costing any money, unplug it. Let me know and I ll see if I still have the pics if you need them.
shadowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
FL Mach 1
Nitrous Lizard

Kind of along the lines of what bris mentioned with corrosion. I have had to replace battery cables on a few foxbodies that exhibited similar issues. The cables looked good visually but they must have corroded under the insulation. May be something else to check.
2003 Azure blue Mach 1
member #13
FL Mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
iudelt89
United We Stang

Its a 2000 WJ. Ended up cleaning some corrosion off the cables, cleaned the grounds, replaced the battery and all is well. I've never seen a car act like that because of a low battery. Really strange, but I'm relieved it wasn't anything serious. What really threw me was I had the battery and alternator tested 2 weeks ago and was told everything read normal.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
devous1
Chairman of "The Bored"

Bad grounds do all types of **** to your electrical system. I was driving my Dodge 3500 one day, the radio went out on the way home. Then it started loosing power but I managed to hobble it home. When I got home I noticed dripping under the truck and the primary battery was boiling over. Which was great because I had just replaced my driveway a few weeks before that.

Checked the batteries with the truck running and they were around 19v and started to boil over again almost immediately. So I cleaned all connections and good as new.

03 TORCH RED MACH
V7 YSI and Some Other Stuff
03 DSG MACH
90 Kenny Brown Super LX
89 LX BBF as seen on Pinks 5/11-SOLD
11 F450 Lariat
A Couple Tuber Buells
devous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #7
mach18604

I had to get rid of my 06 Grand Cherokee because it leaked water where the roof was put on.. causes lots of issues to the main harness..

good luck