2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Body, Chassis & Interior

Body, Chassis & Interior Body, Chassis and Interior mods/discussions

Old 03-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Mach1Junkie

upgrading multimedia

This is the closest thread I could find to audio. I am installing a doublle din pioneer with navi and ipod display (which I will use with my sct tsx bluetooth tuner) and replacing interior speakers. I have had no luck finding good sub encl;ujsures so I'm gonna start with premium interior. I have no experience so please correct any errors. I want to use infinity appa perfect 6.1 components which I heard are very good so I would need a pair of 6 1/2" components which should include replacement speakers then a pair of kappa perfect 2way speakers for the rear declid and finally an infinity 4 channell amp and remove the mach460 amp because its not compatible with anything but stock. That should give me great sound right? am I missing anything? I have a pair of cheap 12's but i'm hesitant to put them in cause they are nowhere near the quality of the infinity perfects. I was thinking of one 12 either a jlw6, kicker l7, or a pair of alpine type R's zenboxes will do a dual sub box custom for our cars square or round 2 or 1 speaker, JL makes a prowedge small box way overpriced and MTX has a thunderform that has a nice fit to it but is 300 for just the box. Any input would be appreciated am I right about 2 components and 2 6x9's to replace stock speakers or dioes the car have more speakers will a 4 channel amp be ok? Can money be saved my using the factory amp or is it not worth the time to try and wire that up? thanks guys
Mach1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
03sh8ker

Re: upgrading multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Junkie View Post
This is the closest thread I could find to audio. I am installing a doublle din pioneer with navi and ipod display (which I will use with my sct tsx bluetooth tuner) and replacing interior speakers. I have had no luck finding good sub encl;ujsures so I'm gonna start with premium interior. I have no experience so please correct any errors. I want to use infinity appa perfect 6.1 components which I heard are very good so I would need a pair of 6 1/2" components which should include replacement speakers then a pair of kappa perfect 2way speakers for the rear declid and finally an infinity 4 channell amp and remove the mach460 amp because its not compatible with anything but stock. That should give me great sound right? am I missing anything? I have a pair of cheap 12's but i'm hesitant to put them in cause they are nowhere near the quality of the infinity perfects. I was thinking of one 12 either a jlw6, kicker l7, or a pair of alpine type R's zenboxes will do a dual sub box custom for our cars square or round 2 or 1 speaker, JL makes a prowedge small box way overpriced and MTX has a thunderform that has a nice fit to it but is 300 for just the box. Any input would be appreciated am I right about 2 components and 2 6x9's to replace stock speakers or dioes the car have more speakers will a 4 channel amp be ok? Can money be saved my using the factory amp or is it not worth the time to try and wire that up? thanks guys
The factory amps can't be used because they run on 8 ohm and most aftermarket speakers run on 4 ohms. A 4 channel amp will be perfect. As far as the speaker size goes, the factory speakers are 5x7/6x8 size and the tweeters are 2 1/2". There are 4 5x7 woofers and 2 2 1/2 tweeters. The rear speakers are in the soundboard which is fords answer to a sub box. I chose jl audio components for my swap because they make a 5x7 set that fits the holes great. I kept the soundboard/ sub box for my jl's and they sound great!
03sh8ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Mach1Junkie

Im sorry can you explain the "sound board to me" from what I understand 5x7/6x8 means they both fit? So am I correct in thinking I can purchase an infinity kappa perfect 6.1 6 1/2" component system with tweeter for the front and a pair of infinity 6x9's for the rear tie it in to (im assuming I should stick to the same brand) an infnity 4 channel amp I saw one that was 145watts rms x4 remove the facrtory amp and aside from subs be set? as far as the subs go the JL pro wedge is too expensive for what you get I currently have 2 mtx terminator 12's with amp that hit hard but dont have high end sound quality like infinty and id have to replace the box anyway. MTX make a thunderform box that looks OEM but it's an empty 10" enclosure for $300. zenboxes seem to be the best choice they make custom boxes for our cars for 100 bucks. Am I on the right track I know I will need to power the subs. do you think it's better to have more smaller subs or less larger ones 3-10's vs 2 12's or even 2-10's vs 1 12?

thank you very much for your input i have my cc in hand but dont wanna make a purchase till i know i'm correct
Mach1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
03sh8ker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Junkie View Post
Im sorry can you explain the "sound board to me" from what I understand 5x7/6x8 means they both fit? So am I correct in thinking I can purchase an infinity kappa perfect 6.1 6 1/2" component system with tweeter for the front and a pair of infinity 6x9's for the rear tie it in to (im assuming I should stick to the same brand) an infnity 4 channel amp I saw one that was 145watts rms x4 remove the facrtory amp and aside from subs be set? as far as the subs go the JL pro wedge is too expensive for what you get I currently have 2 mtx terminator 12's with amp that hit hard but dont have high end sound quality like infinty and id have to replace the box anyway. MTX make a thunderform box that looks OEM but it's an empty 10" enclosure for $300. zenboxes seem to be the best choice they make custom boxes for our cars for 100 bucks. Am I on the right track I know I will need to power the subs. do you think it's better to have more smaller subs or less larger ones 3-10's vs 2 12's or even 2-10's vs 1 12?

thank you very much for your input i have my cc in hand but dont wanna make a purchase till i know i'm correct
Google search mach 460 soundboard to find a picture of it. It is essentially a plastic "sealed" box for the 6x8 woofers. If you decide to use 6 1/2 components for the front, you will have to make adapters to make them fit. The rear holes will have to be enlarged to fit 6x9's as well. You can either enlarge the soundboard holes or ditch the soundboard completely and mount the 6x9's from the bottom. And as far as the subs go, I would focus more on driving them with the correct rms wattage and making sure the airspace inside of the sub box is the correct volume recommended by the manufacturer. I have heard smaller subs outperform larger ones when they are given the correct conditions. Hope this helps!
03sh8ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
nitehunter

I have two 10's and its plenty loud for me, i have an alpine amp for alpine type r speakers, and then an mtx amp powering the mtx subs, i would just go with the custom box that fit our car for 100 and then go from there
nitehunter is offline   Reply With Quote