2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
nitehunter

Which College Degree

guys i am kinda in a tough spot here. I have been working towards my bachelors degree in criminology, with a minor and psychology, i need 49 credits for this still, but i have been working in a warehouse for the past couple years, and at my current one, my manager has somewhat taken me under his wing to be a foreman. I am debating about changing my major into operations management, but it would basically be starting my degree completely over. What are your guys recommendations.
nitehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
not a gt

Re: Which College Degree

Really depends on what job you were looking for in criminology and with this economy whether that job is there. Sometimes when you already have a job it can be better to get a degree in that field to move up, BUT.. you also should like what you are doing, just don't look for a Fed job, after 12 years I am about to be furloughed from my job at a Federal prison, just my two cents, good luck and the one who took you under his wing.. Don't piss him off
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
nitehunter

My plans for the criminology degree would be to go into either law enforcement, corrections or probation officer. I know with the business degree it would be a lot more opportunity at different places because it is not as generalized as a criminal justice degree.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

I always thought the idea of having a college degree was more important than what field it was in. About the only thing a college degree tells you is that you have the dedication to stay with it and finish a job and that you are half-way intelligent.

Big Ron
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
not a gt

I have done corrections for 15 years and the good money is only in the BOP, state and private joints don't pay s*** and they are so understaffed it makes it hard on everyone, same with probation, there caseloads are ungodly, but it is good for job security, why not minor in crim and see what happens? If you want more in depth, shoot me a PM sometime, I will let someone else jump in with there thoughts.
2.3L Whipple,3.37 Upper,4 lb.lower, ID 1000 injectors,LCD cooling mod,Billetflow idlers,200A Alt,oil cooler delete with MMR adapter plate,MM oil filter kit,FrozenBoost Heat Exchanger Flowtech L.T., Maganaflow O/R X with Magnapacks, FRRP D.S.,T-56 with 26 spline input shaft and anti venom mod with reverse lockout box, FR steel flywheel,Spec Stage 3+,Moser 31 spline axles,FR 3.73 gear
Tuned by B.Kurgan
601Hp/558/Tq
not a gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Quixotis
The Hammer of the Gods

I graduated w/a BA in criminology/corrections w/a minor in philosophy. Many years later, working in international operations, I find myself wishing I had my degree in supply chain management. The main reason being, I never used my degree for law enforcement.

After the peace corps, I discovered that I wanted to work in international relief and development and did that for about 10 years. But now I'd like to get back to the west coast to be closer to my friends and family, but my industry is either overseas or on the east coast. With a degree in supply chain management, I could work anywhere - just about every business needs logistics. And, it pays better than law enforcement.

Good luck with your decision

Official Member of M.A.C.H.
Quixotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
nitehunter

I am leaning more towards going for the bachelors in business, with my minor in criminal justice, since i will basically have all my criminal justice out of the way, it all comes down to cost vs benefits.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
devous1
Chairman of "The Bored"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron View Post
I always thought the idea of having a college degree was more important than what field it was in. About the only thing a college degree tells you is that you have the dedication to stay with it and finish a job and that you are half-way intelligent.

Big Ron
I have to agree, most of the people I know are not working in the field they went to school for. I personally have a BS in Management and a BA in Economics. I worked in banking for several years and hated it. I currently am self employed and run a small moving/installation company that specializes in DC power systems. Go figure.

03 TORCH RED MACH
V7 YSI and Some Other Stuff
03 DSG MACH
90 Kenny Brown Super LX
89 LX BBF as seen on Pinks 5/11-SOLD
11 F450 Lariat
A Couple Tuber Buells
devous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
mikeracing
MECHANIC

i wanted to be a police officer just think license to speed they give you a car to race around in and they give you a gun
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Big Ron
Original 03 TR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeracing View Post
i wanted to be a police officer just think license to speed they give you a car to race around in and they give you a gun
plus all the donuts you can eat!
Big Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
mikeracing
MECHANIC

but in all seriousness you have to decide what direction do you want to go in

in my situation i got my associates in industrial technology. and started my bachlors degree in occupational teaching and during my first semester in teaching classes i applied for the railroad. in my situation i loved the idea of teaching people usable skills but then at the same time this payed better and i got to do what i loved anyways
mikeracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
WalkrTexasRngr
2003 AB Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a gt View Post
I have done corrections for 15 years and the good money is only in the BOP, state and private joints don't pay s*** and they are so understaffed it makes it hard on everyone, same with probation, there caseloads are ungodly, but it is good for job security, why not minor in crim and see what happens? If you want more in depth, shoot me a PM sometime, I will let someone else jump in with there thoughts.
Like he said, if youre looking into a job in corrections, the BOP is at the top of the list. I currently work there too and have worked for the state as well. The furlough talk does suck but so far for me its been much better than the state level pay wise. They will start hiring again. Plus federal retirement is so much better than the state or local. MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THIS WHEN CHOOSING A CAREER!!! I have a bachelors in criminology and was planning on going into probation, until I realized, locally they don't make squat here.
WalkrTexasRngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 PM   #13
iudelt89
United We Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ron View Post
Big Ron
It used to be that way, not so much anymore. Having a an undergrad degree in something like music management, art history, general studies, etc won't get you very far these days. Unless of course you stand out far above everyone else in those fields. Even then, good luck. That is one of the major disservices many colleges do to their students. They push them into what they are interested in, but not necessarily something that will get them a job. Nothing worse than dropping tens of thousands of dollars to realize it was all for nothing. I just came out of college and was lucky enough to have landed an awesome job. But many of my friends with some of the majors I listed earlier have not been so lucky. Now they have a pile of debt and a degree that is basically worthless.

My advice, pick something that will make you as marketable as possible. Look at fields that are in high demand. For example, technology and engineering degrees have more jobs available than people to fill them. Try to match those fields up with something you are interested in. Then you will be golden.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote