2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Playtime747

Clutch question on 75,000 miles

This has been bugging the **** out of me.. Bought the mach with 70,000 miles and looks well taken care of. Any way to know if the clutch has been changed out without pulling the trany? From what I have read the stock clutch last between 60,000 and 70,000. Mine seems strong and shifts good and want to know what other mileage people got off there stock clutch. Thought about changing it out but, don't want to have the trany pulled and find out it has been changed. Have a 800 mile trip coming up and don't want to get stranded do to the clutch... Thanks
Playtime747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
iudelt89
United We Stang

Re: Clutch question on 75,000 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime747 View Post
This has been bugging the **** out of me.. Bought the mach with 70,000 miles and looks well taken care of. Any way to know if the clutch has been changed out without pulling the trany? From what I have read the stock clutch last between 60,000 and 70,000. Mine seems strong and shifts good and want to know what other mileage people got off there stock clutch. Thought about changing it out but, don't want to have the trany pulled and find out it has been changed. Have a 800 mile trip coming up and don't want to get stranded do to the clutch... Thanks
All depends on how it has been driven. If it still grabs toward the bottom of the travel, is linear in take up, and doesn't slip I'd say you are good to go and it is most likely stock or a stock replacement. As for whether or not it's been changed out try and see if you can ask the previous owner or pull a service history on it. I've had clutches on previous cars last 120,000 miles or more. Its all about how the car has been driven. I have 52,xxx miles on my mach and the clutch feels as good as new.
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
CO Mack

Clutches don't tend to catasrophically fail unless you're abusing it. They normally start slipping under hard acceleration first.
CO Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Playtime747

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudelt89 View Post
All depends on how it has been driven. If it still grabs toward the bottom of the travel, is linear in take up, and doesn't slip I'd say you are good to go and it is most likely stock or a stock replacement. As for whether or not it's been changed out try and see if you can ask the previous owner or pull a service history on it. I've had clutches on previous cars last 120,000 miles or more. Its all about how the car has been driven. I have 52,xxx miles on my mach and the clutch feels as good as new.
Thanks Man.. She still grabs at the bottom of travel. Bought at a dealer ship and have checked with my local ford dealer and no records found on the car. Have the MM clutch quadrant I still need to put in and already changed the shifter. Hate how spongy the stock clutch feels..
Old 11-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
Playtime747

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Mack View Post
Clutches don't tend to catasrophically fail unless you're abusing it. They normally start slipping under hard acceleration first.
My first car was a 83 Mustang GT with a 4 speed and beat the crap out of that car and it never let me down. Time I sold it it had over 200,000 on it with original motor and trans. think I replaced the clutch once in it. 8 years ago bought a 95 Camaro z28 with the lt1 with auto trans and had the trans built 7 times in 2 years and sold it. So decided to go back with a stang again and sure hope this one last like my 83 did...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
iudelt89
United We Stang

Like anything else, if you take care of the car it will take car of you
Black Staggered FR500's, SSS Adrenaline Cat-Back, JBA o/r h-pipe, MGW Short Throw Shifter, H&R SS Springs, Bilstein HD's, MM Bumpsteer, MM CC Plates, Kenny Brown Extreme Subframe Matrix, FRPP Alum Driveshaft, 2000 Cobra R front brake kit, MM pan hard bar, MM LCA's, K&N FIPK Intake, Bama Tune, Shaker Diverter, FRPP 3.73s, Moser 31 spline axles, FRPP diff cover, FRPP Traction-Lok diff, Kenny Brown Brake Ducts

'04 Black 5-Speed Mach 1, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
iudelt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
j rick kirby

I changed mine at 85,000 because the TOB was squealing. When I took it apart the clutch was still good.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
WNTAMACH1
WNTAMACH1

Mine went out at 70k miles. It has bolt ons.

2013 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Auto- 421/406 SOLD

2013 Ford Taurus SHO PP - Daily Driver
WNTAMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
XSELLR8
Mach-o-holic

I agree^^ Usually the t/o bearing will go before the clutch. One thing you can do that might let you know if the clutch has been replaced is open the dust cover on the tranny and see if the clutch itself happens to be one of the aftermarket colors (red=RAM, orange=Centerfoce, Blue=Spec). Of course it could have been replaced with another factory clutch which I believe is gray. You can also look at the wiring harness that goes to the reverse and speedo sensors on the tranny to see if it has been removed/broken clips and check the tranny bolts for signs of removal..
Here is a picture of the dust cover. Just remove one little bolt and take the cover off. It's the box on the side of the tranny. You might be able to just look through the little hole on the bottom too. In this case, the pictured tranny looks like it has a spec clutch (not my picture).
4.10s too

2004 Cobra Screaming Yellow
2.3L Whipple

Gear install vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJrAIDCpbDI
Clutch Replacement Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr0Rur_EWc
Wideband Install Vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmL1KBmWyhg
XSELLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
Playtime747

Awesome.... Thanks for all the replies. Will get her up in the air and take a look when I change out the clutch quadrant.