2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #26
WickedO3

Re: Should I swap to a 5.4L 4V????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
How about a 427 inch Windsor with high ports and a big hyd. roller? It bolts right in with the right K-member and headers are no problem. Parts are cheap and easy to find. Stock Windsor blocks are plenty strong. 11:1 CR and a 200 shot!!! Its probably lighter than a 5.4 also. Does this beat the hell outa the LS idea?
WickedO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #27
WickedO3

Would u think it would be right to swap an ls motor into a ford gt?
WickedO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #28
redmach2K3

I went through the swap and will be posting dyno videos in about a month after the motor is broken in. People dont want to just throw prochargers on 4.6 cars anymore or 03/04 swaps, they are around every corner. I am one of TWO 5.4 DOHC Turbo Guys in Kansas City and the ONLY one with a 5.4 Sullivan Intake manifold. It is kinda nice to know that you have done something that no one else has. It is all a matter of oppinion. We are going for 900+ hp we are running a 76MM Precision HP GTS Billet Wheel Turbo on the 5.4 I think we can get there. If anyone has questions about the swap feel free to pm me. I have gone through the whole **** thing. Everyone needs to stop saying you can make this power with that.

to the OP, do what you want.

Fully Modded 5.4 DOHC Fully built with Stalled Auto

Break In Period starts now.
redmach2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
na svt

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmach2K3 View Post
Everyone needs to stop saying you can make this power with that.
With what?
na svt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #30
redmach2K3

5.4 DOHC, or that it is cheaper to make power with other motors. Everyone is entitiled to their oppinion. Do what YOU want to do. The 5.4 isnt cheap but its awesome.

Fully Modded 5.4 DOHC Fully built with Stalled Auto

Break In Period starts now.
redmach2K3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #31
Machy uno

Everyones got buttholes and they all stink....but here's mine.....

First thing to think about is power and torque level that you're looking to make.

Second is are you a NA kind of guy, or does a blower intrique you? I used to be an all NA kind of person, but then I decided a blower would be nice. Thats the way I'll eventually go.

If you can make the power you want (from #1) with a blower (and #2 says your ok by it) you'd be wasting a lot of time swapping.

If you want to stay NA (and everyone thinks different about that) and you can't get to the power from #1 with the 4.6, the 5.4 is a good alternative.

If you simply want something different then what everyone else has and want more power, I'd go with one of the other ideas out there (personally, non GM if it were mine). I'd think new 5.0 in the Mach would be pretty nice. You could sell both engines and upgrade to the 5.0, have the DOHC, and make plenty more power than what you'd see out of the 5.4.

If it's a thought, of I have the 5.4 available, so why not? I don't think the benifits would be worth it. Unless the benifits were the weekend time you enjoyed spending working on the car and drinking beer with those that help.

Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330262
Machy uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
Machy uno

To everyone else who is bashing one idea or the other..... really? Since when did when become a communist country where we do whatever we're told? This is supposed to be a forum of people who are interested in cars and help each other out. Most have Mach 1's but not all. Do we run them off for their 'ideas?' Get off your high horse and let people do what they want. Don't like it? Come up with the money yourself to do it your way. Would I personally put a GM motor in a ford? No, but without GM, the camaro, and the ls motors we wouldn't have the mach. The DOHC came out to compete. It all breeds competition and everyone gets a better product. If money was no option and you simpley wanted the BEST car for your particular sport, you'd have a car that had numerous different parts from numerous different manufactures on it. As to the NA, some prefer to stay NA. Maybe it's a second toy car and they already have one. Maybe it's more excitement. Maybe it's even more of a challenge to come out swinging with a 500 rwhp car that doens't have need for a pressure gage.

To those that are being scolded or laughed at for there ideas....don't worry about it. Little girls will be little girls and theres not much we can do to keep them from getting their panty's in a wad....

Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330262
Machy uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #33
DA5DEUCE

Redmach2k3 check your PM's. I am going to do this swap and I dont care what anyone says but I will start a thread with pics and info
DA5DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:50 AM   #34
ModularMach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA5DEUCE View Post
Redmach2k3 check your PM's. I am going to do this swap and I dont care what anyone says but I will start a thread with pics and info
Still wont be faster than an srt8 charger on 22's ....
ModularMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #35
DA5DEUCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularMach1 View Post
hahahaha ICWUTUDIDTHERE. This 5.4 will demolish that charger and he'll ask what kind of supercharger I got and I'll say "what supercharger?"
DA5DEUCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #36
Stopsign32v

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularMach1 View Post
I'd be willing to bet the barn that Charger's pussy owner wouldn't line up against my Mach 1 with a hand full of bolt ons. He says his car has run faster than mine in the 1/8th but a timeslip has never surfaced to prove it. Even though he has claimed to have stacks of timeslips.

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #37
uscstew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
How about a 427 inch Windsor with high ports and a big hyd. roller? It bolts right in with the right K-member and headers are no problem. Parts are cheap and easy to find. Stock Windsor blocks are plenty strong. 11:1 CR and a 200 shot!!! Its probably lighter than a 5.4 also. Does this beat the hell outa the LS idea?
I've been tossing the idea of doing something similar to this.
uscstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #38
jjm525

Anyone ever wonder what the pushrod 302/351 would be today if it had been developed instead of the mods? I love my 4.6 but its really a complicated bugger and friggin huge.

I see the 302 in my buddies 89 and I'd love to have all that room to work around the heads/headers.

Is a iron block 302 with aluminum heads lighter than the dohc?
jjm525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #39
jbrad88
Original Owner

John Colletti made a comment about how the modular engines make the pushrods windsors look like the small blocks made the flathead.

To make 420fwhp out of a pushrod 302 that was street able and would pass emissions is a battle Ford could not win. We have the modulars because they are far superior engines for what Ford needs them to be. Horsepower per liter, emissions, fuel economy etc....

Chevrolet has done amazing stuff with the ls engines. Perhaps if Ford had worked on the 351 more but the decision to go modular was the right one.

No one loves pushrod windsors more than me, but the modular's do make them look like a flathead...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #40
jjm525

Well, GM has managed some pretty great stuff with pushrods, all legal & pretty powerful/effecient and they are more complex than the old SB but pretty simple compared to the mods IMO.

Makes me wonder where they (Ford pushrod V8s) might be with 20 more years of R&D. Less moving parts, lighter, smaller which we know with these DOHCers would be a blessing.
jjm525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #41
jbrad88
Original Owner

That's really what the modulars have done, which is get power out of less.
specifically cubes...

make no mistake, I know they COULD have done it, but GM did it with Cubes...not a pushrod 302...If ford had wanted to develop the pushrod engines it would have had to be with the 351.

and Yes. GM has done amazing things with their smallblock..no doubt.

To the answer on the original topic...

Build the 4.6 imho. sell that 5.4 and take those funds and build. I can tell you that driving my friends @ 600rwhp terminator did not leave me wanting more horsepower. he is also building a 5.1 stroker for his Mach. that one with fr500 intake and the right camming should be a naturally aspirated beast...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #42
NeverEnuff
Add 49ci...but why?

4.6 FTW. 5.4 would be cool. If you had an alum block, and longtubes, and a good intake. But for all that is custom. 4.6 is bolt on readily available...and you can make 400rwhp on stock cubes pretty easy...just the right parts.
95 F350-Tow rig
NeverEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote