2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
ryanscobra

my new clutch hates me

I got a spec stage 1 with a frpp tb and pb, mmr cable and quadrant, and a fiore adjuster. I resurfaced the flywheel and the chatter is terrible. I had my mechanic install it and he said he doesnt know whats wrong as to ask on here. when i take off slow in 1st or reverse, my exhaust and motor shake unbelievably bad. the chatter is terrible. could this just be an adjustment issue? i tried adjusting the pedal to different spots but the chatter is the same. please help!
ryanscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: my new clutch hates me

if you go to promotions website they have a video/media section with a video on properly adjusting the clutch if you want to check that

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #3
ShkeRttlNroll

Did you resurface the flywheel yourself, did you just sand it or did you get it properly resurfaced. Was there chatter with the previous clutch installed or only after installing new clutch?
ShkeRttlNroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
ryanscobra

I had napa resurface it for me. My last clutch didnt chatter at all and was amazingly smooth. Some people are telling me that i have to give the car more gas and dump the clutch faster than normal, pretty much telling me its just my driving style that needs to be changed or i will burn this one out. i normally like to take off slow and smooth but its kind of impossible with this one.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

if the clutch is grabby at all, taking off quicker will be smoother

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
Mach828
Dark Knight

A stage 1 clutch should have ZERO chatter. My stage 1 ram clutch is smooth, with no chatter, noise, or harsh grabs.

Did you get the stage 1 spec for the Mach 1 and Cobra? Or the GT? Clutch disc size is different, and won't operate right if you mix match them with the wrong flywheel.

I have a hard time believing it is an adjustment problem, unless your clutch pedal feels alot different then it used to.

I'd bet it was installed wrong, he didn't torque the bolts right, the clutch fork or TOB might be seated wrong, the flywheel isn't surfaced/balanced well, or the clutch is faulty.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
Mach828
Dark Knight

Did you use the right amount of spacers on the quadrant? Is it firmly in place? Where does the clutch engage on the pedal travel? How stiff does it feel compare to before?

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
ryanscobra

I bought the right clutch. I'm not sure about the spacers since my mechanic did the work. The clutch seems to grab a little high on the pedals stand point, but that can always be adjusted and its not much stiffer than the original. My mechanic keeps telling me that its a racing clutch so you have to drive it differently than the original. He has no problem driving it but i like to take off slow and its pretty much impossible with this set up.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
JeromeMach1

I have not idea what is causing the chattering.

Like someone said above. The Stage I is close to a stock replacement. It is not a race clutch and should not chatter at all. I ran a Stage II for a while without chatter. The Stage III I used did have chatter.

I stay away from Spec because I had bad luck with their clutches. I have been running a Centforce Dual Frcition clutch for 8 years now without issue (soft pedal, not chattering).

Jerome
Custom cams by NASVT
Nazty PSR
SAE 420rwhp
SAE 387rwt
1.56 60ft
11.44ET
122.1mph
1700 DA
JeromeMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
newedge32v

My cobra clutch does the same.. i bought it brand new and resurfaced my flywheel with the upr firewall adjuster, quadrant and new clutch cable and it still chatters in reverse and first gear when I'm letting the pedal off slowly. I have no idea what It is, but I learned to give it a bit more gas then usual and dump the clutch a bit quicker lol.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
ryanscobra

I just called spec and they told me that this is all normal until the break in which they said takes up to 600 miles. I explained how bad the chatter really is but they just kept telling me that it needs to be broken in. I just find it hard to believe that the chatter should be this bad at the beginning but I guess all I can do is wait 600 miles later and hope it goes away..
Old 05-25-2012, 03:36 PM   #12
NastyNate

My fidanza 2.1 clutch chattered quite a bit when I first got it. After a 100 or so easy miles I broke her in hard and now she's good to go!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
gmsux

I had a spec stage II and it chattered badly as well as was really stiff for a stage 2. Sold it and installed a promotion clutch that is working very well.
gmsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #14
Disturbed One

Your describing exactly what happened on my old 97 GT. Improper machining of the flywheel!!!

I had the stock flywheel resurfaced, installed the FRPP King Cobra clutch. Had everything setup perfectly with the frpp clutch quadrant and cable. The thing shook worse than an epileptic at a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert.

I was told that it was normal by several people. I was told by a trany shop that I needed to slip the clutch really good once and then it'd be fine.

Well 64 miles later. I pulled it out and the flywheel and pressure plate were toast. There were 3 hot spots bigger than $0.50 cent pieces on both! Long story short after that, I was sent to the place that built the machine for the shop that did the resurface. I was told the flywheel was not machined right and what happened was more than likely a piece of dirt or debris was on the flywheel mounting surface which threw off the cut. The further away from the center of the flywheel the measurements changed to being way out of spec!

New flywheel from the Ford dealer and another new clutch, car was perfect!

JLT CAI
Bassani mid length headers
Bassani x-pipe
Bassani cat-back
MGW Orange handle
Disturbed One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #15
thebestdj07

when i had my camaro my stage one did that also with a resurface. it was horable. i know how you feel. i traded the car in for a gt.
thebestdj07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
ryanscobra

So bottom line, I'm going to have to buy a new fly wheel and clutch?
Old 05-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Mach828
Dark Knight

Sounds like you can either wait till the break in period is over and see if it goes away. If it doesn't then change the flywheel and hope the clutch isn't messed up because of it.

Or pull it out quick and change the flywheel before it damages the clutch.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:19 PM   #18
jbrad88
Original Owner

Lot of possibilities. First is check with Napa and see if they used the proper cutter for he flywheel or just a brake rotor lathe..

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines