2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > NEW Mach 1 Owner Introductions

NEW Mach 1 Owner Introductions NEW Owner's, Say HI and intro yourself here!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
rynbrdnr

Not an owner yet

I own a 98 f150 and am in the thoughts of selling her to buy the 40th anniversary mach 1. I have been thinking about this for a while now and am ready to pull the trigger on the hole deal. I am just trying to find as much info as I can about these mustangs. What are somethings I should look for when browsing for the Mach...
rynbrdnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
24kmach
My First Mach, Jan. 1969

Re: Not an owner yet

Good luck.

Based in Kent, Washington, Pacific Cascade Mustang Club is the only original Mustang club in the Puget Sound Area and according to Mustang Club of America, we are the oldest in the nation.
24kmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
dsmdavid

Biggest issue is to check the engine. They are very stout but have oil leaking into spark plugs, and misfire issues. That's aboout it for the motor. Trans may have a grind. The rest is common car knowledge

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
dsmdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmdavid View Post
Biggest issue is to check the engine. They are very stout but have oil leaking into spark plugs, and misfire issues. That's aboout it for the motor. Trans may have a grind. The rest is common car knowledge

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
i really dont see these issues in a motor that didnt suffer detonation or some other form of abuse.

some motors have "the tick" on the back of the motor at the driver side (comes from the head) and some transmissions grind/are really notchy when cold... really i would say its just standard mechanical knowledge with a very good once over and test drive as you should do with any used car

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
DTMach1
semi-pro moderator

Take it for a test drive and look for obvious car related problems (steering, braking, odd noises, etc). When you get done, pop the hood and look for other obvious problems (leaks, stuff broken, etc). After that take a good look at the body and lastly run your hand inside the rear fender well and feel for lots of loose rubber and look at the bottom of the rear quarter/bumper for excessive nicks in the paint to give you an idea of how the car has been used.

The tick and trans issued mentioned above are really the only consistent issues...that and the gas pedal getting stuck under the carpet.

2004 Mach 1
IUP/5spd/DSG
Engine, etc done...sits in the garage
DTMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
rynbrdnr

Thanks yall I'll keep all this in mind, still looking and no luck. It probably going to be awhile before I pull the trigger on the deal.
rynbrdnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Turk2k5

Are you in holyoke ma?
Turk2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote