2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 12-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
MrBalloonHands

Noobie Question

Hey guys, Im very new to all this. At this point in time, Im still shopping for a Mach. And when I surf this forum, I get very excited and start thinking about mods I can do to a car I dont even own yet. LOL. It would be the first car I add mods too. So that leads me to this question, at what point when modding would you guys recommend beefing up the transmission, along with other parts, once you start adding power? For instance, if I added a supercharger, would I need to get a new transmission as well? Just curious what I would be getting into. Thanks in advance!
MrBalloonHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
un gm
occasional user

Re: Noobie Question

I'm making 443 rwhp with about 9 psi and still on the stock 3650. I went with a spec 2 clutch and it holds the power. It depends on what's already done to the car you buy. Upgrade suspension 1st IMO.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
ramairmach

Have you looked at the two Azure blue machs on craigslist in Orlando,and a white one in Palm Bay.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:23 PM   #4
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by un gm View Post
I'm making 443 rwhp with about 9 psi and still on the stock 3650. I went with a spec 2 clutch and it holds the power. It depends on what's already done to the car you buy. Upgrade suspension 1st IMO.
Gotcha. I'm not really too particular as to what Mach 1 I get as far as any mods go. What is really gonna determine the Mach I get is price. Bang for the buck, if you will. I was curious if there was like this threshold you pass or something to determine when to change the transmission. Ive seen some Mach guys putting the 03/04 Cobra tranny in, so I assume its to handle the extra power. But thanks for the input! I cant see myself having a Mach putting down any more RWHP than that anytime soon.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairmach View Post
Have you looked at the two Azure blue machs on craigslist in Orlando,and a white one in Palm Bay.

Im not sure. Ive been checking craigslist about twice a week. I checked again just now and found one AB Mach and a OW Mach. Were these the ones you were talking about?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/2740539930.html

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/2700239032.html
Old 12-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
WhiteautoMach

The automatic motors have a redline 1000 rpms less and no forged crank! Both trannies kind of suck. The rear end is so-so stock. Great cars for the $ though. You might also look at '05+ Stang GTs, '05+ GTOs, SRT-8s......
'03 Automatic. No silencer, K&N FIPK, 3450# race weight, drag radials, cat back, custom tune, alum. driveshaft, intake spacer, raised scoop, underdrive pulleys, larger subframe connectors, synthetic engine oil, removed front sway bar, battery to trunk, 2.06 60', 12.99 @ 107.4
WhiteautoMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #7
JaybTorchedMach

It's basically on a case by case basis. Some people have good luck with factory parts while others don't. I built my rear end before any problems developed but am now putting a new tranny swap together because my 3rd is going out. This was on a bolt-on Mach 1. So just build up as you break unless you have the money to upgrade everything upfront.
JaybTorchedMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Mach828
Dark Knight

If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought a roller and started from scratch or a heavily modified car.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach View Post
The automatic motors have a redline 1000 rpms less and no forged crank! Both trannies kind of suck. The rear end is so-so stock. Great cars for the $ though. You might also look at '05+ Stang GTs, '05+ GTOs, SRT-8s......
All of those are good cars. Im pretty much set on the Mach 1 tho. Ive been wanting one since they came out. Im trying to fulfill my dream of owning one since I was 13 years old. lol.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #10
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaybTorchedMach View Post
It's basically on a case by case basis. Some people have good luck with factory parts while others don't. I built my rear end before any problems developed but am now putting a new tranny swap together because my 3rd is going out. This was on a bolt-on Mach 1. So just build up as you break unless you have the money to upgrade everything upfront.
Yeah I kinda figured it was case by case. I mean, I was hoping my responses to this thread would be something like, "yeah man, once you get to X amount of HP, then beef the tranny up." But I was pretty sure that wasnt the case. Figured it couldnt hurt to ask tho. lol. I like your idea of just upgrading as it breaks. That probably the approach I will take
Old 12-19-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
If I had to do it over again, I'd have bought a roller and started from scratch or a heavily modified car.
Yeah I cant decide what route I wanna go with all this. This will be my first weekend car. I just turned 23 and I never really modified or raced any of my previous cars. I had a 98 GT with catbacks. So that was the extent of that. Just trying to figure out which way to do this. Probably just gonna take the best deal I can find. lol
Old 12-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #12
dsmdavid

I'm in ft Myers and selling my Mach call 914-844-0752 whenever you want. I don't sleep

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
dsmdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #13
punishermach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBalloonHands View Post
All of those are good cars. Im pretty much set on the Mach 1 tho. Ive been wanting one since they came out. Im trying to fulfill my dream of owning one since I was 13 years old. lol.
hell yeah go for it bro!!
punishermach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmdavid View Post
I'm in ft Myers and selling my Mach call 914-844-0752 whenever you want. I don't sleep

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
PM sent!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.348815,-80.243821
Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
WhiteautoMach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach828 View Post
'03 Automatic. No silencer, K&N FIPK, 3450# race weight, drag radials, cat back, custom tune, alum. driveshaft, intake spacer, raised scoop, underdrive pulleys, larger subframe connectors, synthetic engine oil, removed front sway bar, battery to trunk, 2.06 60', 12.99 @ 107.4
Old 12-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
vertigyn
Azure Blue Mach

My stock transmission let go when I added the KB supercharger - 2nd gear blew out. I was making 475 with 440 torque at the wheels.

It really just depends how you drive. I slam the gears pretty hard and am not gentle with the car. If I shifted easier, the stock tranny would have lasted just fine I imagine.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigyn View Post
My stock transmission let go when I added the KB supercharger - 2nd gear blew out. I was making 475 with 440 torque at the wheels.

It really just depends how you drive. I slam the gears pretty hard and am not gentle with the car. If I shifted easier, the stock tranny would have lasted just fine I imagine.
That's good to know. At least that gives a good ballpark idea! Thanks for the information.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #18
TRMach1
Once Bitten-Twice Shy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBalloonHands View Post
That's good to know. At least that gives a good ballpark idea! Thanks for the information.
And now to totally screw with the ballpark, I'm still running my original stock TR3650 5-speed, three years down the road from my build! A trans upgrade was on the list, but I ran out of funds, and decided to leave the tranny alone unless it broke, it ain't broke yet! And just so you know, I might be a grandfather, but I don't drive like one!
Mach1Registry.com Member #7
MCA Member #52787
Nice to meet you, my name's Jim

03 Torch Red Mach 1, 5-speed, IUP
Sold on July 21st 2012!

2011 Shelby GT500, Ebony Black, Silver Stripes, 6-speed
550hp 510tq Purchased July 23, 2012!
TRMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
MrBalloonHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMach1 View Post
And now to totally screw with the ballpark, I'm still running my original stock TR3650 5-speed, three years down the road from my build! A trans upgrade was on the list, but I ran out of funds, and decided to leave the tranny alone unless it broke, it ain't broke yet! And just so you know, I might be a grandfather, but I don't drive like one!
Hahaha well hey at least you're screwing my ballpark in the right direction. Sounds like maybe its just a luck thing. Glad to hear the stock tranny is stronger than I thought!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
04MACH!DSG

Still on the stock tranny with some track passes. I am running a center force df clutch, firewall adj and quadrant. Trans still shifts like butter.

470 rwhp
410 rwtq
On a mustang dyno
04MACH!DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #21
nitmare
nitmare

I think any transmission will break with the way some of you abuse them lol.. Stock tranny will hold up just fine as well as the rearend.. I guess it depends if your gonna drive it spirited as i do or abusive with no care if something breaks.... The mach is still a very good bang for the buck if youre trying to stay under 14 thou or less in price... I would pay a little more for a lower milage car vs one that is cheap with 99 thousand miles on it .....
03 DSG JLT cai,Custom tune, MGW shifter, Aluminum drive shaft, Pypes x w/High flow magnaflow cats and mac cat back. AFS DD replicas 17x10.5 with 315s and 17x 9 with 275 front. Eibach pro's with urethane Isos, Bilstein struts/shocks, some MM suspension Pieces.
nitmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #22
ModMike
Modular Maniac

550 hp to the wheels and my transmission held but I did snap an axle in half when I was still at 453hp. There are a lot of factors involved like your driving habits, type of rear tires you run, how bad did the guy before you beat up on it, your long term goal for the car, etc etc etc. All the guy's responses are good input for you. The only "threshold" I would point out is to keep your stock engine bottom end around 450 hp so it will live a long and happy life. I think Jay put it best that its an upgrade as you break things kind of game. You can take a stock Mach with an Eaton Swap, decent clutch, and everything else stock and make good power (450) that will last if you treat it right.
ModMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
ModMike
Modular Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMach1 View Post
+1 on that!
ModMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
WhiteautoMach

The problem with treating things right is you don't maximize ets at the track. Life is primarily a series of compromises. How much $ do you have, how fast do you want to go?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #25
JPJNTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by un gm View Post
I agree. My wife's car is within 5 horsepower of this one. The previous owner had put on Eibach Sportlines, which make the car look great, but the car sits so low and the springs are so stiff, there's on weight transfer when you launch. It's also got 4.10s, which seem to be too much for the rest of the set up. Between the lack of traction, and the gearing, we're stuck in the low 12s right now. BTW, she's at 8lbs of boost, stock clutch, which is hanging in there so far.
JPJNTX is offline   Reply With Quote