2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 10-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
BraggStang

Missing 3rd gear ALOT

Hello fellers... Was wondering if this is just the norm in our cars? What is the best short throw shifter to buy? Thank in advance.
BraggStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Lonestar

Cool Re: Missing 3rd gear ALOT

Yes common. MGW or Pro 5.0 or Triax.

LS
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
TRbetngu

Re: Missing 3rd gear ALOT

Mgw
TRbetngu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
BraggStang

Thanks. Going to order one today. Is this a simple install?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Chances50

MGW and yes very simple.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
Nekasrof
Hillclimb Extraodinaire

It's really personal preference as to which one you use. I would see if someone in your area has a Mach with an aftermarket shifter you could try out. I have a Pro 5.0 and it works for me. But i threw out the shifter lever they give you as it was way too short for me. When I'm belted in, I had a hard time hitting 3rd or 5th. (I am using the factory lever) Plus, on the street, I didn't like leaning to shift. I am actually considering lengthening mine 2" or more. So make sure you try both shifter levers.

I went with the Pro 5.0 because I got a killer price on it when I bought the tranny. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above mentioned.

Motor + Procharger + driver = Baddest hillclimbing Mach 1 in the country
Mustang dyno: 538hp/481tq @ 14lbs/19deg timing
DynoJet comparison: 600hp/539tq

Looking for more hillclimbers!
Nekasrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
Rumplemenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraggStang View Post
Hello fellers... Was wondering if this is just the norm in our cars? What is the best short throw shifter to buy? Thank in advance.
*btw im saying (and found this out about 10 years into driving manual lol, yes i know, pretty pathetic) this b/c i use to have this same issue at times... and when you get a short throw you're going to see even more of an improvement in shifting

Not to insult your intelligence and not implying im a good spirited driver b/c im not, but are you shifting into third with your entire hand/fingers? In other words, and I find myself doing this alot during casual driving, are you smothering, griping or grabbing (muscling) the shifter as you shift into 3rd? Next time let the shifter do some of the work and use the center lower base of your palm to shift into 3rd. When you shift into third go straight (shifter is basically spring loaded so it will automatically engage into 3rd gear) up using this technique and you'll find it every time.

Hope this helps and good luck with the short throw, your going to love it. I have the triax
04' TR w/ IUP-Vortech V2 3.48" pulley-aftercooler-Anderson PP-90mm MAF-SVT pump-42lb frpp injectors-frpp 4.10-SOS Pillar-FR Fuel,boost/vac gauges-Raptor shift light-aluminum DS-Steeda tri ax-MM ccplates-MM coilovers-Bilstein hd-MM full length subframes-Borla stinger catback-17x10.5 bullitts-Nitto 555r-04 Cobra mirrors/side skirts-CDC decklid panel-Steeda battery box-billet fuel door-sequential tails-Mach 1 sills-billet antenna-MGW Mach 1 plate covers-MGW brake handle-455 rwhp 389 tq
Rumplemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

MGW

/thread

edit: the only preference should be which handle: orange, blue, etc

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Chances50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplemenz View Post
*btw im saying (and found this out about 10 years into driving manual lol, yes i know, pretty pathetic) this b/c i use to have this same issue at times... and when you get a short throw you're going to see even more of an improvement in shifting

Not to insult your intelligence and not implying im a good spirited driver b/c im not, but are you shifting into third with your entire hand/fingers? In other words, and I find myself doing this alot during casual driving, are you smothering, griping or grabbing (muscling) the shifter as you shift into 3rd? Next time let the shifter do some of the work and use the center lower base of your palm to shift into 3rd. When you shift into third go straight (shifter is basically spring loaded so it will automatically engage into 3rd gear) up using this technique and you'll find it every time.
Hope this helps and good luck with the short throw, your going to love it. I have the triax

X2 if you open hand push "up" you'll hit it almost perfect everytime. Also I went from a tri-ax to the MGW and it was night and day, id miss 3rd every now and then since I installed the MGW with the orange handle I have yet to miss it and I can now power shift 3rd where with the triax I couldn't.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
BraggStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplemenz View Post

Thank you for the outstanding information. I find myself trying to force it into 3rd gear and based on your evaluation I think that is the problem. I am still going with the short throw shifter, but thanks for the advise!
Old 12-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
orangemach23
500HP HYBRID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraggStang View Post
Thank you for the outstanding information. I find myself trying to force it into 3rd gear and based on your evaluation I think that is the problem. I am still going with the short throw shifter, but thanks for the advise!

MGW and I have used them all is hands down the quietest. It also has built in internal stops some of the other after market shifters require you to set your stops.
461 rwhp/ 462 rwtq *on the stock bottom end*
"BOOST IS MY DRUG!"
orangemach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
DarkMach1

I was a triax user on my eaton swapped Mach with the factory 90k mile 3650 and never missed a shift and the shifting was smooth and quiet. I use a pro 5.0 on my fox now and haven't had any issues.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Current
DarkMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote