2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 11-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
MyMustang

Another help question...brake pedal feels stiff

I didn't really notice it until i drove a couple of others peoples cars (none of them mustangs) but can tell that my brake pedal feels kinda stiff compared to others like it doesn't feel right in my opinion... I can see that I have bout 3-4mm pad left. Low but not gone. I just have no give at all seems almost like I have manual brakes. I work with some ase mechanics but wouldn't trust em to change my oil. Brakes don't lock up or anything and never seen abs light come on while braking hard. (sorry if in wrong section)
MyMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:41 AM   #2
Krwy

Re: Another help question...brake pedal feels stiff

If you don't have another car to compare it to, then how do you know its wrong?

A stock foxbody brake pedal is soft compared to my Mach.

Check out another Mustang, or specifically a Cobra or Mach to get a better feel.

'03 Mach 1
UPR o/r x pipe, Magnaflow CB, FRPP 3.90s, SCT X3, Koni D/A shocks and struts, H&R Race Springs, MM PHB.
'89 LX Coupe DarkShadowGray
H/C/I, built suspension
Krwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
MyMustang

I drive about 60 cars a day ... And just can tell that when braking from high speed it doesn't feel as stable feels kinda shaky and manual...steering wheel doesn't shake but brake pedal vibrates (rofors feel smooth but havnt got wheels off for closer inspection)...I did notice an abs fuse missing soon after I got car but placed it in and the abs light comes on during sequence and fuse is fine... Noticed today pads look smudged (prolly need to replace pads is my guess) still need some advice though please

Last edited by MyMustang; 11-29-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: .
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

replace the pads, resurface the rotors (if possible or just get new ones), and flush your brake fluid. Inspect all abs sensors, properly bed-in the brakes, and get back to us.

Maybe you are just not used to abs equipped cars?!!

My mach's pedal definately feels different from my previous cars. This is probably due to the fact that has a hydro-booster compared to vacuum-assisted brakes.

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
MyMustang

Late response but I gauged my rotors and they are over spec my brake fluid looks good (on test strip) I also noticed that I feel vibration when stopping sometimes I've driven many diff mustangs because I work part time at tire store so I test drive a lot of cars after I align them and they just all feel diff. I havent driven another Mach or Cobra but even the gts and v6s I've driven seem to have a lot softer feel to the brake pedal... my pads looks fine too, lookin for easy answer I guess.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
NastyNate

Gts and v6 have different brakes then machs n Termis.

Maybe your pads are glazed over if the braking doesnt seem up to par.
Id just change out the pads and have the rotors turned. Just before the winter
i threw in some cheap pads on the front and they are garbage. My brembo slotted rotors heat the pad up and the brake fade is horrible and they are useless under hard stopping.
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
j rick kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMustang View Post
Late response but I gauged my rotors and they are over spec my brake fluid looks good (on test strip) I also noticed that I feel vibration when stopping sometimes I've driven many diff mustangs because I work part time at tire store so I test drive a lot of cars after I align them and they just all feel diff. I havent driven another Mach or Cobra but even the gts and v6s I've driven seem to have a lot softer feel to the brake pedal... my pads looks fine too, lookin for easy answer I guess.
The brake fluid in the reservoir doesn't mean chit;it's just sitting there,it doesn't circulate.I'll bet if you bleed your brakes it will come out black.

Take your pads off and rough them up with some sandpaper and put them back on and see what you have.
HPDE Instructor
j rick kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
gamatt
Mustang Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j rick kirby View Post
The brake fluid in the reservoir doesn't mean chit;it's just sitting there,it doesn't circulate.I'll bet if you bleed your brakes it will come out black.

Take your pads off and rough them up with some sandpaper and put them back on and see what you have.
What he said.
gamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Charles236

I would recommend comparing the brake feel only with another New Edge Mustang with hydro boost brakes. I noticed that my Mach has a much firmer brake pedal than most cars (I worked as a tech in a shop and drove many different cars). Vacuum boosted brakes now feel mushy to me since I got used to my Mach brakes.
Charles236 is offline   Reply With Quote