2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 02-17-2004, 03:24 PM   #51
lrh442
Horsin' Around

Re: Re: You guys are very mistaken about LS1s

Quote:
Originally posted by GO2REDLINE
WHO CARES?!

This isnt an LS1 site if i recall correctly. And to be honest its rude, and pompass of you to come here and "set us straight" on the LS1. Are you a LS1 expert? Just because you owned a T/A doesnt mean ****.

...Do i come here telling everyone there full of **** for saying they beat an LS1? No. LS1's are beatable, there not godlike. I beat a cocky LS1 owner like yourself everyday.

The MACH can beat any car on earth if the driver of the other car can't drive for ****. ..

Anyway, this thread is pointless and ignant. Im out.

J
Dude, lighten up. No one's making you read this thread a la Clockwork Orange. If you think the thread is pointless, move on to another one. No need to freak out and flame. BTW, the casual use of the term "rape" is pretty darn offensive, IMHO.

Last edited by lrh442; 02-17-2004 at 03:33 PM.
lrh442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:10 PM   #52
machstang
Mach1 Member

Took guts to start this thread. Like you said, you'll get shot at from the diehard Mustang owners with the blinders on. (tunnel vision)
I have both a Bone Stock SS Camaro and an 03 Mach 1 and wouldn't trade either one for the other. Which one is faster ? I don't know. (yet) Each has their own qualities and each has their own faults. You either deal with them or get rid of the car. If you bought your Mach solely to beat the LS1s, you should have considered a Cobra. I bought the Mach because for the money, Its a great car. But its still a Ford which means I'll probably have problems with it. Same as any GM will. As far as one being quicker in the quarter than the other, only money and talent will tell. If they gave out best thread of the day, you should get it for this day. You sure stirred up the nest...
5 sp. IUP
Stock
machstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:24 PM   #53
GO2REDLINE
Import Assassin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You guys are very mistaken about LS1s

Quote:
Originally posted by BLKCLOUD
I don't necessarily agree or disagree with the many points/opinions in your post. However, I do want to point out that the LS1 is physically quite a bit smaller and lighter than a DOHC 4.6.

I'll still take my car over an F-body (been there, done that, traded), but the LS1/6 is an awesome motor.

Agreed. Actually that part of my post was to favor the LS1 giving that it does have 5.7L displacment over our 4.6L. I am aware that the LS1 is signifigantly smaller than our 4V's. In fact from what i have read the 4.6 is larger in outer dimensions than a Chevy 454, is this true?

J

AZ Plate: GO2RDLN
GO2REDLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #54
Angus66
1/4 Mile Drags Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by DSGMach714
I agree, a lot of Mach owners on here seem to underestimate the LS1 powered f-bodies big time. The LS1 responds a lot better then a 4V 4.6. Like you said, for a handful of dollars you can get those cars into the 11's no problem.. With a 110+ trap speed..

Stock vs Stock the two cars are close, but once the modding begins the LS1 pulls away, significantly..
I would disagree with that statement - especially the "Handful" of dollars part.

IMHO, it takes roughly the same amount of $ investment to get a Mach 1 into the 11's as it does an LS1.

Both cars need:

Full Exhaust
CAI of some kind
Sticky tires
Rear suspension changes
Beefed-up rear-ends to take the harder launches

Several Mach 1's are in the 11's with the above mods & good driving - why would the LS1 be any different or cheaper?
Angus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #55
99whitecobra99
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by Angus66
I would disagree with that statement - especially the "Handful" of dollars part.

IMHO, it takes roughly the same amount of $ investment to get a Mach 1 into the 11's as it does an LS1.

Both cars need:

Full Exhaust
CAI of some kind
Sticky tires
Rear suspension changes

Several Mach 1's are in the 11's with the above mods & good driving - why would the LS1 be any different or cheaper?
When the ship goes down I will be in Angus' boat.
Old 02-17-2004, 06:39 PM   #56
GO2REDLINE
Import Assassin

Quote:
Originally posted by orange04
as for the ls1 being more advanced...why does it still use pushrods then? Either way wether i get beat by one of em or not...my mach still looks better :THUMBSUP: Just my .02
The Old Saying, "Don't fix it if it ain't broken". Thats probably why they still use em push rods.

AZ Plate: GO2RDLN
GO2REDLINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 07:59 PM   #57
BLKCLOUD

GO2REDLINE....I don't know, but it is likely pretty damned close, if not bigger. However, I think the DOHC 4V would be lighter than a BBC. That's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angus66

Both cars need:

Full Exhaust
CAI of some kind
Sticky tires
Rear suspension changes

I agree that it takes pretty much the same to make either platform run into the 11s (though I still believe it is easier wihth an LS1 - especially the A4). To add, please take no offense, but I only know of one Mach 1 in the 11's with those mods, and that is Jeff Schmell's car (JTCobra). Certainly there are many that are capable of similar times, but as it stands now, 1 does not equal "several".

As an FYI....I love the 4V, and I think mine (though not a Mach 1) does a pretty good job of showing its potential. I am within a tenth of the quickest LS1 M6 "bolt-on" cars. However, there are 15-20 like-modded A4 cars that have gone quicker than I have - some by over 3 tenths. There are also several "heads and cam" cars with bone stock shortblocks that have gone into the 10s. Naturally Aspirated. Those motors are quite good, and to underestimate them, or to overestimate the abilities of a N/A 4V, is a mistake best not made on the drag strip.
BLKCLOUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #58
Spidermach8817

3 tenths can easily be the driver
Spidermach8817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:14 PM   #59
99whitecobra99
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by Spidermach8817
3 tenths can easily be the driver
I think you are the first person I have ever seen that has Questioned BLKCLOUD's (Bob Cosby) Driving ability. Me personally I wouldn't go there.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:41 PM   #60
Cobra3958
Hsssss

Why is it that everytime an ls1 guy post a thread on here they stir up controversy? There sure are ALOT of ls1 guys posting or visiting our website. I guess they are on the defensive on what we say about their cars. I went over to check out ls1.com just because I was curious. I can't believe all the bullsh#t and hatred towards Mustangs that goes on there. I think they are still pissed that the Cobra is superior and the fact that they stopped making their beloved cars. Maybe they should name it BS1.com. This site has much more classier members.
SOLD

Last edited by Cobra3958; 02-17-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Cobra3958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 11:45 PM   #61
BLKCLOUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 99whitecobra99
I think you are the first person I have ever seen that has Questioned BLKCLOUD's (Bob Cosby) Driving ability. Me personally I wouldn't go there.
Woah! Put on the brakes there buddy!

He's not questioning my driving abilities, and if he is, that's ok - I'm no better than the next racer.

I would, however, add that the cars that are significantly quicker than I are all of the stab-n-steer variety (A4), thus there just isn't much driver error to be had.
Old 02-17-2004, 11:59 PM   #62
99whitecobra99
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by BLKCLOUD
Woah! Put on the brakes there buddy!

He's not questioning my driving abilities, and if he is, that's ok - I'm no better than the next racer.

I would, however, add that the cars that are significantly quicker than I are all of the stab-n-steer variety (A4), thus there just isn't much driver error to be had.
Come on Bob, were all friends here. I'm just playing with him, you, and everybody, all the time. To everybody who doesn't know, Bob helped me change out my transmission in my 99 Cobra via Phone calls and E-mails. (**** 3rd starter bolt) If it was not for him I think I would still be under the car.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:29 AM   #63
forcefed

Quote:
Originally posted by threetime
one thing to say, and not flaming. if there so awesome, then why did they stop making them. huh, awnser that my friend. and whats so funny is you went and bought a stang and helped put those cars in the grave.
well said.........just like gm to screw up a good thing. too busy making specialty vehicles, like the ssr pick-up, or gto. The only thing they stick to is vettes. But i could buy two machs for the price of one of those.
5sp. Iup...
Born 09-30-03
Mods From MRT:Streetsmart Cold Air Kit, 80mm Mass airflow sensor, MagnaFlow Stainless catted H-pipe
and Cat Back, 3 1/2'' Rolled Tips
forcefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 12:41 AM   #64
jpetre

Bob - Just want to say that I hope I can pedal my Mach 1 down the lane some what as well as you do.

I also want to say I had a 99 Cobra and won several races with LS1's, and lost my share of them as well. Now that it is a felony to race in Texas I don't push my luck with the Mach 1.

Just as a side note: Same night! A
My best in the Cobra 13.6 @ 106.7
My brother's best 12.8 @ 109
So, driving has a lot to do with it! He also has about 100 lbs on me, power shifted, and generally knows what he is doing. He has a 7 second car called dangerous toys.

Equal drivers and stock cars I think they are dead even. When the mods start on the LS1, watch out! My neighbor has the standard bolt on's and is putting 370 to the ground. I would have to have pretty extensive work to get close to that number.

All in all I love my Mach 1, but we are missing a bit of engine to start bragging rights! Although with drivers like Bob, I think many LS1's are getting the message. Hopefully I will be able to help out soon

Bob!
No bike - a Ducati 848 White on the way!
jpetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:09 PM   #65
BLKCLOUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 99whitecobra99
Come on Bob, were all friends here. I'm just playing with him, you, and everybody, all the time. To everybody who doesn't know, Bob helped me change out my transmission in my 99 Cobra via Phone calls and E-mails. (**** 3rd starter bolt) If it was not for him I think I would still be under the car.
LOL. Ok. And glad I could help with that tranny.

jpetre....I agree with your opinions, and if I might add....its all about practice. Just lots and lots of practice.....and I guess not being scared to break something.
Old 02-18-2004, 06:48 PM   #66
Showtime

IMHO...

I don't think the gto is worth all the hype. It's still a GM. I've beaten so many of them, I actually became tired of it. What surprises me is the mach1 owners giving praise to the gto. Why??? Sounds like maybe they should have purchased one instead of the mach 1.

I feel the mach 1 is surperior to the gto. And it does depend on driver ability also. Of course if you pull up in a stock mach1, and the guy has a modified gto, the gto should win. But if you get both cars with equal mods, I'd go with the mach1. And it's bullet proof. I've seen too many gm's blow up, and run like crap after a while.

I don't think anyone is underestimating the gto, I think it's overestimated.
John 3:16
God's love, and Man's escape.

Build date 07/30/03

Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter
Flowmaster cat-back w/Super 40's, K&N FIPK; MagnaFlow X-pipe w/cats - Steeda Sport Springs
Saleen "18 chrome wheels (wheel replica)
Maximum Sport Camber plates

Dyno: 295 rwhp. 315 ft. lbs. torque
13.06 e.t. 106.39 m.p.h. (on factory rubber)
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 07:07 PM   #67
jpetre

It's not breaking things that hurts it the repair cost that's a pain in the wallet!

Only 40 more payments and it's mine!
No bike - a Ducati 848 White on the way!
jpetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 PM   #68
Yellowshaker
Shakin' up the Streets

Guys I have had my share of T/A's. I currently own a 1989 GTA as well as my Mach. I had a '95 Formula 6 speed, and I've riven many LS1's at work. Some stock and somemodded. There is no denying that they are fast and deserve respect. I personally would never buy another GM product...but that is only my opinion on the subject. I prefer the Mach over any car I've owned and would buy another tomorrow if I could afford two of them. I totally agree that stock vs. stock, it should be all about the driver. I have beaten several SS camaros and T/A's. Only once I got into it with a T/A at a light and lost. I did have the car bog due to TC, but I give him the race. Can't win them all, right? All I know is the only problem I have with Camaros and T/A's are with the owners. Some of them are ignorant and prove it with the way they talk about beating our cars. They should realize that we are all playing the same game, we all love our cars, and we should all respect the competition. Anyone can beat anyone on a given day.
Wel, I've rambled enough...time to go find that T/A and get some revenge....:THUMBSUP:
Yellowshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 10:01 PM   #69
Spidermach8817

Well excuse me for not knowing who Bob Cosby is. Hey 99whitecobra99, There are alot of things I'd do that I'm sure you wouldn't. I'm not questioning Bobs racing ability because I don't know him. .3 tenths can be lost or gained by any driver on any run.
Spidermach8817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:32 PM   #70
Out4u2

Quote:
Originally posted by Berman
I wasn't trying to start a flame war. Honestly, I don't see how GM guys can win one. Know how? I need only one word and Ford wins. COBRA. 'Nuff sed.

Best line of the thread!

Can't wait for the 06.

Just one thing on the Mach vs the LS1. I have raced 2 and have beat both. One had exhaust the other was I believe stock it was the anniversary one on that one low end I walked him pretty good, from a 50 roll he was at my door till I hit about 100 then I started to pull away again.

IMO Mach is the LS1 answer. Cobra is the Corvette ZO6 answer.

Kurt

Last edited by Out4u2; 02-18-2004 at 11:36 PM.
Out4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #71
Cobra3958
Hsssss

Showtime, Yellowshaker & OUT4u2 all make good points. :THUMBSUP:
SOLD
Cobra3958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 02:32 AM   #72
99whitecobra99
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally posted by Spidermach8817
Well excuse me for not knowing who Bob Cosby is. Hey 99whitecobra99, There are alot of things I'd do that I'm sure you wouldn't. I'm not questioning Bobs racing ability because I don't know him. .3 tenths can be lost or gained by any driver on any run.
Just read the post above from me. Some of you guys are just so straight and narrow it scares me, no humor here.