2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

How to lock your car and why!

Something I just got that may be important to us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOW TO LOCK YOUR CAR AND WHY!

I locked my car. As I walked away I heard my car door unlock. I went back and locked my car again three times. Each time, as soon as I started to walk away, I would hear it unlock again!

Naturally alarmed, I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store. They were obviously watching me intently, and there was no doubt they were somehow involved in this very weird situation. I quickly chucked the errand I was on, jumped in my car and sped away. I went straight to the police station, told them what had happened, and found out I was part of a new, and very successful, scheme being used to gain entry into cars.

Two weeks later, my friend's son had a similar happening. While traveling, my friend's son stopped at a roadside rest to use the bathroom. When he came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later, someone had gotten into his car and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase--you name it. He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into, the police told him he had been a victim of the latest robbery tactic--there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device.

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and that they now have a few minutes to steal and run. The police officer said to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car--that way if there is someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim, it will not be you!

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting, it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain, it sends the code through the airwaves where it can be instantly stolen. This is very real.

Be wisely aware of what you just read and please pass this email on.

Look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote just to be sure we remembered to lock them-- and bingo, someone has our code and whatever was in our car!

Snopes Approved--Please share with everyone you know! :THUMBSUP:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't mean to imply this was me in the above story, only that it was sent to me and I was passing it on. But what did happen to me in the Mach once was I was down to only one key (the other was lost when my Wife's purse was stolen a few years earlier) and locked the only key in the car while parked in my driveway. I took proof of ownership and insurance card with the VIN, plus I knew the guy in parts department at the Ford dealership and they cut me a "door only" key for $6 which was quite a bit cheaper than the $200 plus for a new ignition key would have cost. It would not work in the ignition and could only manually open the driver's side door (no keyhole on pax side). I would recommend having this additional key as it was cheap protection against locking your key in the car and not having the extra key available.
My 1970 Mach

2003 Ford Mustang Mach I---Black w/5-speed --- gone but not forgotten
2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1---White w/351C-4v Shaker Hood scoop and T-5 tranny
2014 Shelby GT-500 --- White/red stripes and 6-speed
2019 Mustang Convertible Premium Package w/automatic

Last edited by Bill Hamilton; 12-22-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Because I can :-)
Bill Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
jasionox666x

Re: How to lock your car and why!

I wonder if it's true with viper car alarms as well?

I need to arm my alarm.
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
jasionox666x

Snopes website does not approve of this message
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
jeff a. moore

You cant be too careful!!
Magnaflow Magnapaks exhaust
2003 Machined Cobra wheels
Silver Mach 1 striping
jeff a. moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
Snopes website does not approve of this message
They were showing on the news the other morning where they have credit card scanners that they can walk by you on the street and steal /download your credit card code/numbers and if you use WiFi that people can get into your computer and download important items. I would think this is plausible also.

I really hate to use snopes as a source as I’ve read recently they also have an “agenda” in how they report things to the public although it’s more political driven than something like this.
My 1970 Mach

2011 Shelby GT-500 --- Ingot Silver Metallic and 6-speed (Sold and Now Terrorizing the residents of New Zealand)

Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
kiler be

Thanks for the info, Bill.
75 Maverick 6cyl, auto ( Mean Machine )
kiler be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #7
73mach03

I tend to manually lock my car by pushing the lock button on the door before I close it. That has been a habit of mine from the days before remote locking devices. Seems like the old ways are the best.

I hope everybody hears of this and begins the manual locking technique. I wouldn't miss the annoying beep, beep associated with those remotes.
73mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
NastyNate

I figured there would be some way steal the keys fob frequency. Thieves have found ways to hack into garage door openers and most good one can break into cars in seconds with the right tools! Who knows if this post is REAL im sure criminals are doing it somewhere!
NastyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
01TruBluGT

I seriously doubt this one.

Whats the range on most OEM keyless systems, in a congested area I would figure no more than 30-40'. Add to that a parking lot where other people could be locking/unlocking their car at the same time which means the hacker would be picking up all kinds of signals.

In this story the "Thief" was sitting in the fire lane, where is the fire lane typicly? Yes right infront of the electric doors, you know the ones with strong enough output to trigger your radar detector as you drive by the store.

I could see it if they were somehow able to capture enough info to get into the vehicle and drive away but to go through that much trouble just to get in and get an iPod or whatever small items you happen to have in the car. A slim jim in the hands of someone who knows how to use it could get you into the car alot faster with less expense.
01TruBluGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT View Post

Whats the range on most OEM keyless systems, in a congested area I would figure no more than 30-40'. ........................

I see people all the time (including me sometimes) at the mall or Walmart parking lot just take their key FOB and hold it up in the air and start clicking it until the horn goes off and the lights flash so they can find their car. At times I'll bet I'm over 100 feet away ... I mean those other idiots.
My 1970 Mach

Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
Mach828
Dark Knight

I agree. Highly unlikely story. Is the concept possible, yes. But word for word as mention, no likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT View Post

Whats the range on most OEM keyless systems, in a congested area I would figure no more than 30-40'. Add to that a parking lot where other people could be locking/unlocking their car at the same time which means the hacker would be picking up all kinds of signals.

In this story the "Thief" was sitting in the fire lane, where is the fire lane typicly? Yes right infront of the electric doors, you know the ones with strong enough output to trigger your radar detector as you drive by the store.

I could see it if they were somehow able to capture enough info to get into the vehicle and drive away but to go through that much trouble just to get in and get an iPod or whatever small items you happen to have in the car. A slim jim in the hands of someone who knows how to use it could get you into the car alot faster with less expense.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hamilton View Post
They were showing on the news the other morning where they have credit card scanners that they can walk by you on the street and steal /download your credit card code/numbers and if you use WiFi that people can get into your computer and download important items. I would think this is plausible also.

I really hate to use snopes as a source as I’ve read recently they also have an “agenda” in how they report things to the public although it’s more political driven than something like this.
Don't the car keys nowadays have random codes now? The code is always different when you lock and unlock the car. This would prevent the crook from getting a code that works.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #13
NastyNate

i locked the key in my mach the 1st week i had it and the tow guy was in almost before i could turn and watch. I have to break in quite a few cars (key locked inside) it didnt take me a long at all and i only had a wood shim and a hanger! DEF easier but then again at a crowded shopping center you more likely to get caught.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #14
Newskool Mach
10 second club!

Don't leave anything valuble in your car, or at least lock it in the trunk. If theives want to get in they will do it whether your car is locked or not.

03 Torch red auto (gone)
Newskool Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
311-420
Can't be bridled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newskool Mach View Post
Don't leave anything valuble in your car, or at least lock it in the trunk. If theives want to get in they will do it whether your car is locked or not.
Yep!

Just keep your full coverage premium up to date and roll with the punches. It sucks, but that's the world we live in.
2004 Mach 1 #6956 5spd w/IUP
Eaton swap, longtubes, built 3.73 SRA
452hp/409tq dynojet🏁
311-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
Mach828
Dark Knight

True, comprehensive is our friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311-420 View Post
Yep!

Just keep your full coverage premium up to date and roll with the punches. It sucks, but that's the world we live in.

Vortech V2 S-trim, E85, A2A Treadstone, Comp cams, built engine, full exhaust, built rear, built 4r70, more mods.

Tuned by me with SCT Advantage
Mach828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Look how many times we all lock our doors with our remote just to be sure we remembered to lock them-- and bingo, someone has our code and whatever was in our car!
Not me. Every car I've bought with the remote lock crap I just throw in my junk drawer. I always use my key to open the door and lock it just after opening the door.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #18
fiveliter
14 Year Reg Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newskool Mach View Post
This is very true all year long, but especially at Christmas time. People tend to go store-to-store for their shopping and typically leave high dollar items in their cars while they shop. Their are plenty of thieves out their just watching and waiting for this. Do not leave anything, valuable or not in your vehicle where it can be seen. I've seen windows get smashed for a few dollars in coins left in the ashtry. Do not leave a GPS attached to your windshield. If you buy a high dollar item ( computer, gps, tv ), take it right home, then you can go back out shopping again. Thieves will not bother with a car that has no valuables (or what appears to be valuables). Seems like common sense, but you'd be amazed how many larcenies from autos occur this time of year.
1993 Mustang 5.0 notch - sold
1997 Mustang GT - traded in
1994 Mustang GT conv - sold
2003 Mustang Mach 1 - current
2010 Harley Davidson XL883N - current
2015 Mustang Ecoboost - current
Best ET 13.59@103MPH
fiveliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:53 PM   #19
devous1
Chairman of "The Bored"

Heck I normally don't lock my doors. My daily driver is a Jeep so that is like putting a lock on a two foot tall fence gate. I try not to keep things in my vehicles and I find anymore if you lock your doors and someone wants in they get in and now u just have a broken window to top it off.

03 TORCH RED MACH
V7 YSI and Some Other Stuff
03 DSG MACH
90 Kenny Brown Super LX
89 LX BBF as seen on Pinks 5/11-SOLD
11 F450 Lariat
A Couple Tuber Buells
devous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
NastyNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by devous1 View Post
Heck I normally don't lock my doors. My daily driver is a Jeep so that is like putting a lock on a two foot tall fence gate. I try not to keep things in my vehicles and I find anymore if you lock your doors and someone wants in they get in and now u just have a broken window to top it off.
Im with ya on that! I DD'ed a Wrangler for 7 years and i learned not leave anything in there unless my security system was with me! (My 70lb red nose pit!) Surprisingly I never had any issues then!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:23 PM   #21
Charles236

Quote:
I see people all the time (including me sometimes) at the mall or Walmart parking lot just take their key FOB and hold it up in the air and start clicking it until the horn goes off and the lights flash so they can find their car. At times I'll bet I'm over 100 feet away ... I mean those other idiots.
The range of the RKE is fairly limited and can vary depending on many factors, but the "Panic" feature is almost always one feature of an RKE that does have decent range.
Charles236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
Thunderbolt
And Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
i locked the key in my mach the 1st week i had it and the tow guy was in almost before i could turn and watch.
I remember when I had to call a tow guy to break into my 2000 F-150. It took this guy 1 hour (yes, really) to break into my truck with a slim jim. I froze my butt off for one hour outside in 0 degree weather.

"She's An Underage Angel With A Dented Halo"-She Needs Rock n Roll---Motley Crue

Every now and then, say What The F***. What The F***, gives you freedom. With freedom comes opportunity. Opportunity, makes your future. If you can't say it.......you can't do it.----Miles
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt View Post
I remember when I had to call a tow guy to break into my 2000 F-150. It took this guy 1 hour (yes, really) to break into my truck with a slim jim. I froze my butt off for one hour outside in 0 degree weather.
Thats rather funny considering the F150 is the number 1 stolen truck in the country, and the older ones are notoriously easy to break into and steal. The newer ones not so much tho.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
73mach03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles236 View Post
The range of the RKE is fairly limited and can vary depending on many factors, but the "Panic" feature is almost always one feature of an RKE that does have decent range.
I hate that stupid panic button. I'm sure it has come in very handy on occasion for some people, but pure annoyance on any car I've owned. I was able to take out the actual button on my Eclipse remote, so it is far less likely to start my car honking with an accidental touch. Worst was my Z28 remote. That was a "happy" panic button that kicked off the alarm with very little contact. The Mach 1 seems less likely to go off accidentally.
73mach03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #25
Bill Hamilton
Mustang owner since 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles236 View Post
Yeah, the newer the car the further the range (i.e. batteries). My Mach was getting pretty short. My new car does have a decent "range" in the Walmart parking lot.
My 1970 Mach