2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
jasionox666x

Major weight loss

Here I come!
Spoke to an army recruiter. I'm qualified for joining but my weight is killing it.

I need to lose 120 pounds in 12-13 months.

Doable? Food isn't a problem. Anyone recommend a diet along with moderate exercise? Does anyone recommend a certain workout that really works.

I have power 90 and p90x as well. Should I do the p90?
jasionox666x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
nitehunter1989

Re: Major weight loss

Best bet would be total body workouts meaning like deadlifts and stuff like that and high intensity, i believe the army focuses a lot more on sit ups and push ups so the p90x would be great also since they use a lot of body weight work, def include your cardio, im sure you could also search on google and type in boot camp training to help get in shape, hope it helps
nitehunter1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehunter1989 View Post
Best bet would be total body workouts meaning like deadlifts and stuff like that and high intensity, i believe the army focuses a lot more on sit ups and push ups so the p90x would be great also since they use a lot of body weight work, def include your cardio, im sure you could also search on google and type in boot camp training to help get in shape, hope it helps
P90x adds muscle. I don't need any more weight. I want to keep my muscles now and lose the fat.

I'll do p90 first. It burns fat but keeps muscle. P90x might be on the agenda afterwards for a tiny bit though.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
wiz_of_wuz
chillin' by the Lake

my 2 cents...........

You need to do a cardio with a weight training program. You say you don't want muscle but you need muscle to raise your resting metabolic rate. Cardio burns more calories in the short term but long term weight training will cause you to burn more calories in a given 24 hour period. With more muscle mass your body needs more calories to sustain. So combined with a low calorie diet and a cardio program you will substantially increase your weight loss.

Good Luck!!

B-Day 4/13/04
MRT H Mid with Cats
Magnaflow Cat back
Steeda Triax Shifter
FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft
FRPP 4:10 Rears

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...z/DSC05124.jpg
wiz_of_wuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
nitehunter1989

if you do a lighter weight, higher reps it should add more lean muscle, you could also go to either complete nutrition or gnc and ask them about fat burners which help a ton with suppressing your appetite and boosting your metabolism.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
jasionox666x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehunter1989 View Post
if you do a lighter weight, higher reps it should add more lean muscle, you could also go to either complete nutrition or gnc and ask them about fat burners which help a ton with suppressing your appetite and boosting your metabolism.
That's my main problem is suppressing my appetite. I get bored a lot and hit up the fridge.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
nitehunter1989

also taking a protein bar or protein shake would help a ton just taking it once in the morning would help a ton.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
jasionox666x

Replacing breakfast with it?
Old 08-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
JaybTorchedMach

Eat healthy and nutritiously, lift weights and extreme cardio, go to a local nutrition shop and talk to the people there. They should know their stuff, recommend a routine and diet, and even sell you some products to aid you through your journey.
JaybTorchedMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
littlemags
finally paid for

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
That's my main problem is suppressing my appetite. I get bored a lot and hit up the fridge.
man up...gotta control that bro. Try to stay busy for sure.....
decent advice here gotta weight train...or some sort of resistence training, morning cardio, and start eating healthy...training and cardio are easy...your nutrition is the most important thing. YOU CANT out train and crappy diet.
826rwhp/720 trq -100 shot NX
9.13@154 on 100 shot
NEW- in progress...
littlemags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
SparksMach1
Shitin 'n Gitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemags View Post
man up...gotta control that bro. Try to stay busy for sure.....
decent advice here gotta weight train...or some sort of resistence training, morning cardio, and start eating healthy...training and cardio are easy...your nutrition is the most important thing. YOU CANT out train and crappy diet.
I weigh 165 lbs and here is a rough outline of my diet (for the most part)

8:00 plain bagel (no cream cheese)
09:30 oatmeal with 1 c. blueberries
10:15 protein shake (30G)
1200 lunch high in protein and veggies (like today I have steak, rice, asparagus, and baby spinich mixed together)
1:30 Half peanut butter sandwich
2:30 pre-workout supplements (NoXplode and creatine serum)
hour of lifting
35 min of cardio (either running outside, the arc trainer, or treadmill)
4:45 45G protein shake
5:30 dinner (again high protein and dark green veggies)
8:30 mass gaining shake
10:30 other half PB sandwich

I don't like veggies at ALL, but I force myself to eat them every day. As long as you can mentally be focused on the end result, you should be in good shape.

my reccommendation is high intensity interval training (HIIT) thats what the military uses for people who can't pass their PT test. It's the most effective fat burning workout you can do. But I would suggest cutting out certain parts of your diet, that are easy to do, like for instance, my grandfather stopped drinking soda and switched to water, lost 30 lbs in 2 months... crazy huh? Just drinking 2 liters of water a day will be a very good start to increasing your metabolism, and when you work out you'll already be hydrated.
if you need recipes that you can make at home that are healthy but still taste good, PM me, i'll type you out some stuff to make that tastes amazing and will keep you on the right track. I integrate steak and boneless/skinless chicken breasts in almost every meal, however steak gets expensive so other low fat red meat works too.

something amazing is a rotisserie cooker, pop a 5lb chicken in there, tie the sucker up, turn it on for 75 minutes, take it out and voila, amazing moist chicken. You don't even have to do anything to it. The best part is the moisture stays inside, while the fat drips off into the tray in the bottom.

442/435 @ the rear ALL MOTOR -Race Gas
FRPP BOSS 5.0 block, 10.6:1 compression, Manley H-Beams; Diamond flat-top pistons, P&P heads W/ 5-angle valve job & ARP Head studs, PP upper/lower intake, Comp Stage 2 N/A cams, FR500 springs, valves, and followers, Tube K with coilovers and Bilsteins, Kooks, Stingers, 2.97 T-56 Magnum, 31 Spline Superior axles & Auburn-pro dif, built battle boxes, KB BAP w/ 39lb injectors, and 4:10's.
SparksMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
bbford97

While you are losing weight make sure you can keep up with the type of physical training used in boot camp. I ran track in HS and was able to set the pace, weighed 130; the ones that fell back caught all the verbal abuse. Can’t help with the weight issue I’m one of skinny people. Old as dirt and still 150.
Auto, Kooks LT, O/R X, Borla cat back, JLT warm air, Rich's infamous air diverter with 164302 miles. Has seen rain wind and fire. boss 330 motor blew up less than 300 miles junk! Now have a MMR 5.0built April 2011 now have 65K milles turned 12.44@ 110 July 2013 , 12.66@111.10 April 2014 Thanks Mark.
bbford97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

personally, I would not recommend the P90 stuff if you need to drop that much, not at first anyway. I was doing the p90x with a friend for a while but really you need to be in pretty decent shape already. My thought is itll grind you down after a few weeks,possibly even suffer an injury from over training then you take time off to recover instead of just making slow steady progress.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #14
Zack

Eat 2000 calories or less, do cardio for 30 minutes a day and stick to your guns. The weight will fly off if you follow these rules.

Why anyone would suggest weight training when trying to lose a ton of weight in a short time make no sense.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #15
gbranton
Speaking Cherry Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Why anyone would suggest weight training when trying to lose a ton of weight in a short time make no sense.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe because it works? I see overweight people come into my health club EVERY DAY and get on the treadmills and most of them don't lose weight. Why? Because your body adapts to steady state cardio just like any other routine that a person gets into. Is it good for you? Yes. Will it make you live longer? Yes. Is it the best and quickest way to lose body fat? No.

Read this or just Google "metabolic intervals" to find out more:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...erval_training

"In a 2008 study presented in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning, metabolic interval-type training had a ten-fold greater fat loss when compared to either aerobic exercise or weight training individually. Numerous other studies found in The Journal of Medicine and Science in Sport, The European Journal of Physiology, The Journal of Sports Nutrition, and The European Journal of Applied Physiology over the last eight years have supported this.

Some research showed that metabolic interval training actually had as much as a 50 percent increase in the use of fat as a fuel source during exercise. One research study showed that this type of training produced EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption) that lasted 16 to 48 hours."

It is the theory behind most boot camp type aerobic classes.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
Uloset
Fastest Mach 1 Somewhere

One simple way to help lose weight is to try to keep you heart rate up all day. I work in a 5 story building I always run the stairs, no elevators (that is for lazy bums or individuals with legitimate health issues) and I move as much as possible. For instance I could be lazy and use the bathroom on my floor but I choose to run up three stories and use that one. I get an hour lunch so I eat a quick and since I don't want to home back totally covered in sweat instead of running I take a 3 mile walk.

Even I am surprised with how much a difference in weight lose it makes between a week where I'm being lazy and a week where I keep moving all day on the job.

Also I do other stupid things I have a pull up bar in my house mounted in a doorway. I make a rule that when I ever I pass it I'll either do hanging leg lifts, pull ups or chin ups. Sounds dumb but keep that up and you'll pack on a good amount of muscle and strength. I used to work out with weights but my current schedule doesn't allow it but you can do fine on your own with a pull up bar, push ups and maybe a few dumbbells.

I'm not a huge fan of jogging because of the joint impact so I stick to bike riding mostly. However I do take a run every once and while just to see how far or how fast I can run the mile. You'll obviously have to keep up with your running as you'll drop dead in basic if you don't. Though I'd still recommend to split your cardio between biking and jogging.

EDIT oh yea and I you want an easy way to cut some calories replace all you soft drinks with water. The only thing I drink other that water on a average day is an 8oz glass of 100% OJ with breakfast.

I have a problem every time I pull up to some ricer a strange buzzing noise comes from behind me, any clue what it could be?
Uloset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
nitehunter1989

They also say to do cardio after weight training because it allows you to work out harder for the weights and then if you have access to a stair stepper, that it supposed to be the biggest fat burner out of everything at the gyms.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
jasionox666x

Nice. Ty everyone for the tips.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
SteelwingDSG
Procharger = Very Fun

I started p90x 30 days ago. 6' 2", 205 at start. Down to 195 in 30 days. Probably around 15% body fat when I started. Gained lots of muscle definition and the weight lost is most definitely attributed to fat. As it was mentioned before, you can't out-exercise a crappy diet. I have been eating around 1,500-1,800 calories a day and not feeling hungry. The types of food you eat is so very important. Since you have p90x, follow the nutritional guide.

If you're afraid of gaining muscle mass, do p90x lean version. Also, as they said, focus on lower weight and higher reps for the exercises.

80% of your weight loss is about the day-to-day food intake.

It sounds like quite a challenge, but you can do it!
SteelwingDSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
1crazymach

Well let me give you some advise since I now weigh in at 200.5 as of this morning and last October I weighed in at 303.5. Yes I have lost 103 pound in 9 months lots of hard work cardio cardio cardio but don't over do it you will hit many walls just keep at it don't weigh yourself everyday. As for what I did 5-6 days a week 30min cardio 45min weight lifting light weights lots of reps I was doing double days but I stopped losing weight don't over do it. As for eating that's the hard part I changed everything I don't eat meat anymore no steak or hamburgers just lean meats chicken and turkey I hate seafood so that was my only option of meats. Don't eat to late have 3 meals a day and have 2-4 healthy snacks a day after your meals make sure every 2hrs you are eating even if your not hungry trust me it works.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
sideways03
LS What?

I highly recommend "Insanity", it's by the same parent company (Beach Body) as P90X. This workout will KICK YOUR ***... lol, seriously. It is cardio interval training using all body movements. No weights or bands or anything. But trust me it takes some dedication.

I work with a guy to did it recently and lost 40lbs during the 9 week program (along with a good diet of course).

Not only will you get in shape, your cardio will be out of control, especially starting with all the extra weight you have right now. By the time you shed that 120lbs, you are going to feel like you can do anything.

I would then do P90X after a week or 2 of rest following completion of Insanity.

I recommend a program to start because it directs you on what to do. You don't have to worry about coming up with exercises to do every day. You just turn it on and work your *** off doing whatever they tell you to do. This also has built in recovery workouts, and mixes things up so that you continue to utilize muscle confusion. The early workouts prepare you for the more intense ones towards the end of the program. There is also a "fit test" every other week to show you where you stand, you will most definitely see progress. I know 3 people plus myself that have done this and we all saw dramatic differences.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
np_mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz_of_wuz View Post
my 2 cents...........

You need to do a cardio with a weight training program. You say you don't want muscle but you need muscle to raise your resting metabolic rate. Cardio burns more calories in the short term but long term weight training will cause you to burn more calories in a given 24 hour period. With more muscle mass your body needs more calories to sustain. So combined with a low calorie diet and a cardio program you will substantially increase your weight loss.

Good Luck!!
100% true. I worked in the fitness industry previously, and when you weight train you sustain calorie burning for a longer period of time. (about 3 days) versus cardio training (about 1 day). (but don't skip cardio it is very important to have a well rounded work out) when you strength train don't do the rest for 5 minutes between set. Give a small rest, but keep your heart rate up to maximize your work out. You should have a heart rate monitor!

And yes, muscle weighs more than fat, but it is all relative since you are burning the fatty tissue and adding muscle. That's why there is a difference when you look at a 200lb muscular guy and a 200lb fat guy?

10 pounds a month is no joke, so you better get ready to bust your ***!

Don't substitute meals! Make sure you are eating 5-6 small square meals a day. (too much of anything is bad, so make sure you have a balanced diet) Eat snacks that are high in protein since they require your body to work harder to digest, which means you burn more calories. Remember if you are drinking your calories then you won't realize how much you take in, so don't drink protein shakes with a bunch of calories, or soda, or sports drinks.

If you drink protein after your workouts get something that is very clean. I like Iso Pure because it has very little sugar, calories, and all of the other crap that normally comes in the shakes.

If you are hungry within an hour after you eat then drink a glass of water. It will help curb your hunger. On top of that make sure you are drinking plenty of water throughout the day so you don't get dehydrated from your vigorous work outs.

If you wake up and don't feel motivated to work out, at least do it for 15 minutes. I will promise you that you will finish your work out then!
np_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 PM   #23
np_mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
Oh, I don't know. Maybe because it works? I see overweight people come into my health club EVERY DAY and get on the treadmills and most of them don't lose weight. Why? Because your body adapts to steady state cardio just like any other routine that a person gets into. Is it good for you? Yes. Will it make you live longer? Yes. Is it the best and quickest way to lose body fat? No.

Read this or just Google "metabolic intervals" to find out more:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...erval_training

"In a 2008 study presented in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning, metabolic interval-type training had a ten-fold greater fat loss when compared to either aerobic exercise or weight training individually. Numerous other studies found in The Journal of Medicine and Science in Sport, The European Journal of Physiology, The Journal of Sports Nutrition, and The European Journal of Applied Physiology over the last eight years have supported this.

Some research showed that metabolic interval training actually had as much as a 50 percent increase in the use of fat as a fuel source during exercise. One research study showed that this type of training produced EPOC (Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption) that lasted 16 to 48 hours."

It is the theory behind most boot camp type aerobic classes.
Another good point from a fitness person. Please listen to the people who have either worked in this industry or have the knowledge to be able to help you.

Don't forget to train around what your anerobic threshold is with periods of time above and below to get max results. (Search this topic to learn a little about it) Traing by your heart rate is the most efficent way to see results.
np_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #24
one mach 1
Pro-gun Conservative!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasionox666x View Post
P90x adds muscle. I don't need any more weight. I want to keep my muscles now and lose the fat.

I'll do p90 first. It burns fat but keeps muscle. P90x might be on the agenda afterwards for a tiny bit though.
Cardiovascular training is the best to lose fat and keep muscle. Start out on 20-30 min walk/runs, to increase heartrate to aerobic conditioning, which means you are not out of breath, and on the verge of breaking a sweat. your pulse should be 100-120 bpm to be aerobic fat burning excercise. If you become out of breath, and profusely sweating, and pulse greater than 120, you have gone into an anaerobic excercise where you are building muscle instead of burning fat. Eat boneless skinless chicken breasts, brown rice for carbs, and green leafy vegetables for and cut out fats, sugar, and excess carbs. Also do light to moderate weight training 3x a week to maintain muscle fitness, as more lean mass equals better fat burning machine. You will lose weight with this.

Last edited by one mach 1; 08-18-2010 at 06:52 PM.
one mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #25
USMCWeatherMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crazymach View Post
Well let me give you some advise since I now weigh in at 200.5 as of this morning and last October I weighed in at 303.5. Yes I have lost 103 pound in 9 months lots of hard work cardio cardio cardio but don't over do it you will hit many walls just keep at it don't weigh yourself everyday. As for what I did 5-6 days a week 30min cardio 45min weight lifting light weights lots of reps I was doing double days but I stopped losing weight don't over do it. As for eating that's the hard part I changed everything I don't eat meat anymore no steak or hamburgers just lean meats chicken and turkey I hate seafood so that was my only option of meats. Don't eat to late have 3 meals a day and have 2-4 healthy snacks a day after your meals make sure every 2hrs you are eating even if your not hungry trust me it works.
+1 with the eating every 2 hours, i've heard smaller more balanced meals every 2 hours (or 5-6 meals per day) is the way to go to get your metabolism into high gear (just remember smaller more balanced meals), that along with cardio / weights (light w/ high reps) should be your key.

Just as others have mentioned, dont overdo it to early, you can injure yourself easily when starting a new routine.

Also, make sure you are getting plenty of rest too, sleep is when the body/muscles recover.
USMCWeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote