2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > General Discussions > General Registry Discussion

General Registry Discussion Topics of Interest (Mach 1 Related or otherwise) for discussions that don't fit other forums.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
NightOfTheCow
Space Olympics

Subaru

I hath purchased one. I shall attach a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
LegacySmall.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
Mistergou
get sideways!

Re: Subaru

looks good!
#2928 out of 9652 ~Sold
Mistergou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
jbrad88
Original Owner

Nothing wrong with Subaru's. Good solid engines, good overall cars. Parts availability can be a problem with them but that is the only real issue I have ever know with them.

Car looks really nice.

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
JohnHow11

Yea as far as tuning goes I don't think the sti's are worth the money required to get them to the 400 awhp mark especially with their iffy drivetrain.... other than that they are great cars.....

P1sc Procharger 6 lbs of boost
Eibach Pro Damper Shocks
Hr SS springs
JM Lower Control Arms
Fr500 replica rims
4.10 ford racing gear
Maximum Motorsports Subframe Connectors
HID head lights
MM CC Plates
JohnHow11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHow11 View Post
Yea as far as tuning goes I don't think the sti's are worth the money required to get them to the 400 awhp mark especially with their iffy drivetrain.... other than that they are great cars.....
Say what? I do not what you are talking about....A blouch dominator 3 bolt on turbo, E85 and a good tune from my buddy Cameron of camtuning is all that is needed to go OVER 400 awhp. That costs about 800-1000 dollars total for those mods.

Their drivetrains are far from iffy. STIs have thick axles, a tranny rated at 600 lb ft of torque from the factory and I have never seen or heard of anyone breaking a transfer case on an STI.

You can do bolt on mods to an STI(intake, exhaust, FMIC, turbo) and make 450 rwhp safely without touching the motor and have maybe 2 grand invested.

Subarus are great cars and they are excellent bangs for the buck performance wise.

Last edited by Fenixfire; 01-17-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Fenixfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Firebreed05
Certified Goat Herder

Agreed. Been wanting a WRX Impreza as a replacement for my around town car.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebreed05 View Post
Agreed. Been wanting a WRX Impreza as a replacement for my around town car.
Yep! A subie will be my next DD. Im aiming for an 09 sti though. Gettin my car fixed and paid off first though!
Old 01-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

Don't know about the 'iffy drivetrain' comment.

IMO, Subarus are solid vehicles. I have an '04 WRX (got it after selling my Mach about a year ago) and the Mrs. brought a brand new '06 WRX 3 years ago. Neither Subaru has given us any problems.

My neighbor has an '05 WRX STi and he also has never had any issues with the drivetrain....and he actively takes his car to the track.
San Pedro Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
gotmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire View Post
Say what? I do not what you are talking about....A blouch dominator 3 bolt on turbo, E85 and a good tune from my buddy Cameron of camtuning is all that is needed to go OVER 400 awhp. That costs about 800-1000 dollars total for those mods.

Their drivetrains are far from iffy. STIs have thick axles, a tranny rated at 600 lb ft of torque from the factory and I have never seen or heard of anyone breaking a transfer case on an STI.

You can do bolt on mods to an STI(intake, exhaust, FMIC, turbo) and make 450 rwhp safely without touching the motor and have maybe 2 grand invested.

Subarus are great cars and they are excellent bangs for the buck performance wise.
im sure thats all true but Subarus are but ugly.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
03BumbleBee

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Pedro Mach View Post
Don't know about the 'iffy drivetrain' comment.

IMO, Subarus are solid vehicles. I have an '04 WRX (got it after selling my Mach about a year ago) and the Mrs. brought a brand new '06 WRX 3 years ago. Neither Subaru has given us any problems.

My neighbor has an '05 WRX STi and he also has never had any issues with the drivetrain....and he actively takes his car to the track.
Boy I have not seen a post or reply from you for about a year, can't believe you sold your Mach.

Welcome to the Mach 1 Cafe!
"Today's Special..Smoked Honda"
Finally a member of 10,000 mile club!
03BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BumbleBee View Post
Boy I have not seen a post or reply from you for about a year, can't believe you sold your Mach.
LOL

For me, the Mach just became impractical...especially as a DD. My commuting distance/driving, hauling two growing kids, and at the time high gas prices all just contributed to my Mach's departure.

My WRX obviously dosen't have the kick in your pants power that the Mach had, but it's fun to drive, handles better, gives me better millage (2L Flat 4 vs. 4.6L 4V V8), has two extra doors with a usable rear seat. ....and I love the AWD. As for looks....well, I kinda like the blob-eye look of the '04-'05s.

Yeah, haven't been around here in for sometime...but I still check in once in a while to see how you Macher's are doing. I actually saw a Torch Red Mach just the other day. Funny how after all these years, Machs still stick out in a crowd.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #12
Fenixfire
Its stock....No really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmach View Post
im sure thats all true but Subarus are but ugly.
Yes and no. The older ones are ugly. My friend has an 02 "bug eye" wrx. Its heavily modded with 421 awhp. Pretty quick. He describes it as "its so ugly its cool"

As for the newer subies.....the 08s and up are NOT ugly at all. They look very very good. I really love the hatchback STIs. Hence why I want one.

Oh and to clear up a couple things about the drivetrains:

The sti drivetrains are near bulletproof stock

The wrx drivetrains are pretty weak stock. Any more than 300 awtq and the wrx trannies become great holy hand grenades. They have gotten stronger over the years. The new ones arent as weak as the older years(02-03s are really bad), but they still cant hold near the power that the STI drivetrains can. Same goes for the axles. The wrx axles are weaker than on the STI.

Thats why if you want to buy a subie to make big power with it then get an STI and not a wrx. EVERYTHING is better on the STI. Strong axles, strong tranny, better suspension, better AWD, stronger engine internals than the wrx(they share the same pistons, but STIs have forged rods and wrxs do not).

My friend has had to upgrade alot of things in his wrx so it could live with the power he is making.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
San Pedro Mach
Resident Subaruista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire View Post
Yes and no. The older ones are ugly. My friend has an 02 "bug eye" wrx. Its heavily modded with 421 awhp. Pretty quick. He describes it as "its so ugly its cool"

As for the newer subies.....the 08s and up are NOT ugly at all. They look very very good. I really love the hatchback STIs. Hence why I want one.

Oh and to clear up a couple things about the drivetrains:

The sti drivetrains are near bulletproof stock

The wrx drivetrains are pretty weak stock. Any more than 300 awtq and the wrx trannies become great holy hand grenades. They have gotten stronger over the years. The new ones arent as weak as the older years(02-03s are really bad), but they still cant hold near the power that the STI drivetrains can. Same goes for the axles. The wrx axles are weaker than on the STI.

Thats why if you want to buy a subie to make big power with it then get an STI and not a wrx. EVERYTHING is better on the STI. Strong axles, strong tranny, better suspension, better AWD, stronger engine internals than the wrx(they share the same pistons, but STIs have forged rods and wrxs do not).

My friend has had to upgrade alot of things in his wrx so it could live with the power he is making.

Agreed. If you want to build some serious power, then an STi should be your starting point. Like Fenifire posted....They're just better cars.......Better/bigger engines (2L vs. 2.5L for '05 and older, 6spd bullet-proof trannys (vs. 5spd WRX ones), tougher suspensions, Brembo brakes, etc...

If you don't want to spend a lot of time or money into building-up a WRX, just start with a STi.....most of the work is already done for you.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #14
legandrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOfTheCow View Post
I hath purchased one. I shall attach a photo.
I had a 05 Legacy GT limited sedan-5 speed and my wife had a 05 Legacy GT wagon-5speed before our current Subaru's. 2.5GT motor you have is a great engine. Make sure you use a decent synthetic oil in it and don't follow 7,500 mile oil change interval manual says is ok. I wouldn't go longer than 5,000 miles with that engine.

Good choice...I have been driving a Subaru since 2001 for my daily driver. Current is a 2009 2.5 Legacy Special Edition with 5 speed manual. Not fast but still fun to drive and handles well. Harmon Kardon sound system is pretty nice too. My wife hauls our 2 daughters in a 06 Tribeca. It has been rock solid and is almost 4 years old. Subaru has one of the highest brand loyalty and I fall in that pool. I will keep driving them as long as they keep building them well and they continue to be reasonably priced. Plus for me after owning awd hard to not have it when you live in snowy WI.
legandrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
MachyMach

If I lived where it snowed I would have one for a Winter car!!
MachyMach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #16
Con's Mach1

Almost looks AZURE BLUE? You might be changing your mind after a while. Just an observation.
Con's Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
StevesTorchRed

It looks kind of like a saturn from a few years back.
StevesTorchRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #18
b3warnick

Quote:
It looks kind of like a saturn from a few years back.
I thought the same thing when I blew up the picture and got a better look at it.
b3warnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 AM   #19
NightOfTheCow
Space Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 View Post
Almost looks AZURE BLUE? You might be changing your mind after a while. Just an observation.
lol

That's because it's an HDR photo I took....

The mach gets driven once in a while, but doesn't handle so well in some of the places I have to drive. I HAD to buy something reliable and safer in other than sunny weather conditions. I'm very happy with it thus far.