2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #26
cobrakidz

Re: best way for MPG's?

Never heard of the seafoam. We went to the Knott's show earlier this year and with the cruise on 75+ we averaged 24mpg over 1000 miles. The best way to get the max mpg is drive downhill both ways !!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #27
Mudd92
03 Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder View Post

KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed.. or buy a civic or something to DD
Accufab TB, BBK LT's, BBK O/R X, Mac Catback, JLT RAI, 98 Cobra intake cams, EBC redstuff pads, slotted drilled rotors, 31 spline mosers, 31 spline cobra posi, 3" studs, FRPP 3:73, welded tubes, smoked tails. Eaton swap! 465hp,425tq @ 15deg and 3.4pulley @ 10lb. T56 magnum! - Tuned by Eric Brooks! Built motor coming soon

-95 Chevy C1500 5.7 auto
Stock, tow rig and DD.

-Joey
Mudd92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #28
rjleiker

right now I DD a 2007 Ranger that might get 19.5 HWY, so if I can get a V8 back under my foot and mid 20's, I think I'll survive... just curious what real world numbers I can be shooting for
rjleiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #29
rjleiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudd92 View Post
Agreed.. or buy a civic or something to DD
What's a civic?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #30
futuremach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjleiker View Post
right now I DD a 2007 Ranger that might get 19.5 HWY, so if I can get a V8 back under my foot and mid 20's, I think I'll survive... just curious what real world numbers I can be shooting for
i sold my 01< 3.0 5-speed ranger to get my cobra. i got 18-19 when i first bought the ranger so i did a few things to increase mileage. when it was all said and done the best i got was 22-23. got tired of only having a little *** cab (Im 6'1", 285) and bought my cobra. now i get 26-27 and lots of power, not to mention more cab room and a much finer ride
futuremach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #31
Con's Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremach1 View Post
01 cobra with 97K on the odometer, slp loudmouth catback, jlt cai, and some suspension stuff. just ran a half a can of seafoam through the engine, the other half in the oil and a whole can in the gas tank and that tank (mobil 93 octane) equated to 26.8mpg. i live 2 miles from the highway and drive 42 miles each way to and from work so almost all highway miles but still, that kind of mileage AND power.......gotta love the mod motors
I've NEVER added anything to my oil or gas. You make the benefits of Seafoam sound great! Almost too good. I just have to get my mind set to change, I guess.
Con's Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM   #32
cgjarvis

Seafoam equals Snake Oil.
cgjarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #33
futuremach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con's Mach1 View Post
I've NEVER added anything to my oil or gas. You make the benefits of Seafoam sound great! Almost too good. I just have to get my mind set to change, I guess.
just one mans opinion (well mine and my dads), im sure others think its "snake oil" or whatever else but the stuffs been around for many years for a reason.
futuremach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #34
GundamVader
03 Mach 1 owner

i get about 17-19 on my daily commute with highway and city mixed, but on steady ighway i've gotten as high as 27 in a near bone-stock auto, was averaging about 25 for most of the trip.

that was with cruise control at 75-80 at some points, and thenfollowing either another car/suv or big rig going at similar speeds.

Bone stock....FOR NOW

RIP:
Black 03 mach 1 automatic
Mods:
Slotted Brembo brakes
K&N Air Filter
Shaker Air Diverter
Mach 1 ebay cupholder ring
GundamVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #35
rjleiker

Great. Thank you all for your input.
Anyone have any good MPG numbers with an eaton swap? I am a long ways from that, but just curious.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:41 PM   #36
Machy uno

the mpg thing has been talked about alot. Average for these cars is 18-19 around town and 24-26 on the freeway. Get on it and you'll drop the mpg very fast. I've personally seen over 27 with the trunk and back seat full. That was on cruise control, but not bad for a V8. I've also seen as low as7-8 on track days though......its all in how you drive it!

If you're not getting these numbers... clean / change the air filter as well as the MAF screen and housing. Change the oil / oil filter. Check the pressure in your tires, and change out your spark plugs. Make sure you fill her up with premium gas from a reputable gas station (I've seen huge differences in the mach when filling up at a cheap place) and your numbers should jump up to the average.

Gone but NOT FORGOTTEN
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/330262
Machy uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #37
AuStang

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuremach1 View Post
i am 35 years old and had several vehicles (15 to be exact) and ive used it in all of the ones with more than 50K on them. i just bought this cobra a month ago or so and figured why not. it's got 95K on it so you know theres some carbon somewhere in there. just warm up the engine, pop out the pcv valve and suck in half a can (motor will want to die so have other hand on the throttle cable) shut the engine off and let it soak for 15 minutes. re-start the car and watch the mosquito fogger begin. takes ten minutes or so to burn it all out but after i did it idled a lot smoother and for whatever reason my exhaust note is a little different now. once a year or so ill add half a can to my oil just to clean any deposits that might have built up and every 6 months or so i add a can to the gas tank. my fathers been a mechanic for for for over 30 years and he swears by the stuff. he had an 86 aerostar minivan with 385K on it before he sold it and now drives a 96 bronco with well over 350K. could it be mainly because hes a mechanic and knows how to properly maintain a vehicle, probably but if he says its worth it ill take his word. 30 years of actual hands on experience is worth a lot.
Interesting. But what is with that stutter? :LAUGH:
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #38
mach1 03

I have been getting bad MPG so the last tank I filled up I thought I would try driving it for the best mpg. I drove mainly city and kept the rpms under 3k. I shifted as soon as possible; I have been in forth at 30mph and in fifth at 45mph. well today I got gas and… 9.5 mpg! 11.8 gallons and I only went 112 miles, I don’t know what is wrong with my car but no matter how I drive I can’t get any more than 13mpg. I used to get in the 20’s on the highway and about 15 in the city.
mach1 03 is offline   Reply With Quote