2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results

Tuning & Dyno Testing/Results Questions, experiences & results for electronic tuning and dyno tests

Old 03-20-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
dubsaks69

Should I get a tuuner first?

I just recently put magnapacks on and I now have a jlt ram air cold air kit. My question is should I wait to put the jlt on until I get a tuner. After I put the catback on I noticed the rpm's dont drop as fast as they did stock.Is this because I need to get it tuned? I would like to go ahead and put the cold air on since I just got it but if it is going to be harmfull I will just wait until I can get a tuner. Thanks for the info.
dubsaks69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #2
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Re: Should I get a tuuner first?

Jlt has a tendenacy to run a little rich. Not sure why but it does. So you should be fine with just thoes mods.

RPM drop is probably an IAC problem. If you are a 5 speed then try a restrictor plate. If that does not work then get a new IAC.
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
ponygt65

I wouldn't worry about a catback and CAI. Once you go midpipe though, I personally would strap it on a dyno (or wideband) and double check your A/F. Even a stock mach can 'benefit' from a custom tune. You just have to way the $$/hp (etc.).

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
3150Mach1
Love my Mach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
I wouldn't worry about a catback and CAI. Once you go midpipe though, I personally would strap it on a dyno (or wideband) and double check your A/F. Even a stock mach can 'benefit' from a custom tune. You just have to way the $$/hp (etc.).
Agree 100% with Pony.
Kooks LTsw/OR X, elect cutouts, JLT RAI w/C&L 85 MAH,1" Spacer,PP Lower intake,Accufab TB,160 T-stat,EF Cooling Mod,NX Kit,Mez Electric Water pump,SLP Linelock,FRPP 4.10s-Alum Dif Cover-Alum Driveshaft & SL, Steeda Bumpsteer,MM Alum rack bushings,Deep Alum Tranny pan,Predator,Steeda AUCAs,MM ALCAs, Dspecs,MM CC plates & FLSFCs,MRT Guage cluster,AEM WB,MRT hood struts,Seq TLs, carbon fiber hood/trunk/Cobra wing,220 amp alt
3150Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Apollo240
12's

Your asking for a sh*tstorm with that question on here lol. Even with a mid-pipe your still fine. I could find the thread with the video I posted on here, I dynoed 283/302 12.8A/F with JLT ram air, O/R H, Flowmasters, and the original predator tune. I've been told there is a possibilty of needing a tune with the cold air kit. Your saying you have the ram air cold air kit, which one lol. Either way you should be perfectly fine if you dont want to spend the money for a tune.

Current: Ls1 Corvette
Apollo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
ponygt65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo240 View Post
Your asking for a sh*tstorm with that question on here lol. Even with a mid-pipe your still fine. I could find the thread with the video I posted on here, I dynoed 283/302 12.8A/F with JLT ram air, O/R H, Flowmasters, and the original predator tune. I've been told there is a possibilty of needing a tune with the cold air kit. Your saying you have the ram air cold air kit, which one lol. Either way you should be perfectly fine if you dont want to spend the money for a tune.
He was fine...you on the other hand...are the one potentially causing issues.

How can you personally guarantee that HIS car will be perfectly fine even with a midpipe,just because yours was.

Enlighten us.

Previous stangs:
2003 Mineral Grey Cobra Vert
1965 Factory GT K Code Coupe - mostly original and numbers matching. 14.9 (best) GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!!
2003 MACh 1 AB - MINE!..SLP LM1s, PHP Spacer, and a CAI, that wont' stop whistling.
2004 MACh 1 DSG - PHP spacer, BOrla Stingers, K and N CAI, Tune, X-pipe, 1" 1-piece raised shaker...yadda yadda.
ponygt65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
way2wilddohc

you shoud be fine but you can also pick up a few extra ponies with a custom tune at this point.. if you find a tuner who will give you free lifetime revisions then you wont have to pay for tune revisions when you are ready to do more mods...and it is always nice to have a programmer on hand to use for a scan tool or datalogging
way2wilddohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
zurky
Registered Abuser

yea just dont make the mistake i did and get the hand held that was on sale just cause it was on sale, cause no tuners around me use diablo software they all use SCT and now ... well it sucks having to buy a sct handheld for 300 plus the diablo i already got for 300 plus the 500 for the tune lol
zurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
BluBlurr32V
Bro's B4 Ho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsaks69 View Post
I just recently put magnapacks on and I now have a jlt ram air cold air kit. My question is should I wait to put the jlt on until I get a tuner. After I put the catback on I noticed the rpm's dont drop as fast as they did stock.Is this because I need to get it tuned? I would like to go ahead and put the cold air on since I just got it but if it is going to be harmfull I will just wait until I can get a tuner. Thanks for the info.
I would wait til you get the mid-pipe, then get the tune. Heck wait a bit more and throw on an intake spacer when you throw on the mid-pipe to make most outta the tune. As of right now a cat-back and CAI/ram-air should be just fine.

Magnapack Cat-back, Bassani Catted X-pipe, C&L intake, MGW shifter, MM FLSC, MM Alum steering rack bushings, MM S/S brake lines, MM C/C plates, MM Panhard Bar, H&R Race springs, Blistein HD's, Steeda 2pt STB, Moser 31-spline axles, and S197 posi
BluBlurr32V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
Apollo240
12's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponygt65 View Post
He was fine...you on the other hand...are the one potentially causing issues.

How can you personally guarantee that HIS car will be perfectly fine even with a midpipe,just because yours was.

Enlighten us.
Because out of all the cars I have owned, buddies cars, never have we EVER seen a dramatic change in A/F over a mid pipe or other minor mods. Maybe .1 or .2 never anymore change.

So from personal expierence, and taking advice from very reputable shops, I can conclude that his car will be fine. Could he benefit from a tune, yes, will his A/F be wayyyy outa wack, no.

Current: Ls1 Corvette
Apollo240 is offline   Reply With Quote