2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 11-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #26
bigjmp

Re: ? on parts for rear end

thanks for the suggestions everyone, i pretty much decided what im gonna get. Whats the purpose of welding the axles tubes...i read that in some posts...do i have to mention that to the mechanic thats gonna do my work...
bigjmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:49 PM   #27
machery
user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
They are great ideas, however there are better ideas for him right now.
What are the better ideas?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #28
machery
user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjmp View Post
thanks for the suggestions everyone, i pretty much decided what im gonna get. Whats the purpose of welding the axles tubes...i read that in some posts...do i have to mention that to the mechanic thats gonna do my work...
It strengthens the whole rear. The tubes are pressed in and a small spot is welded in on each side if the cover. I had mine out of the car and had it tigged.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #29
Dan03mach
Spool'n UP

Just put some strange 33spline axles in, a spool, and some C clip elems and call it a day. If you don't want to have to replace difs. later on down the road and not ever have to worry about breaking anything. This is what you need. I'm selling all of my 31 spline stuff here shortly. Broke too many diffs and bent a few axles. For the weekend worrier racer 31 spline stuff is fine, but if you race your car hard and plan on being at the track all the time 33 spline axles and a spool is what you need.

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Mods:

Turbocharged
9 Sec. Slow Street Car
Dan03mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #30
Awd This
Got boost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan03mach View Post
Just put some strange 33spline axles in, a spool, and some C clip elems and call it a day. If you don't want to have to replace difs. later on down the road and not ever have to worry about breaking anything. This is what you need. I'm selling all of my 31 spline stuff here shortly. Broke too many diffs and bent a few axles. For the weekend worrier racer 31 spline stuff is fine, but if you race your car hard and plan on being at the track all the time 33 spline axles and a spool is what you need.
Why would you recommend a spool for a car that is primarily street driven? Thats the worst advice in forum history.
450rwhp 417rwtq
Awd This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:29 AM   #31
Stopsign32v

Quote:
Originally Posted by machery View Post
What are the better ideas?
Ummmmmm........maybe something that will make him actually go faster?

JLT RAI | 1/2 spacer | Catback | 4.56s

7.76@87.8mph
Stopsign32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #32
Dan03mach
Spool'n UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awd This View Post
Why would you recommend a spool for a car that is primarily street driven? Thats the worst advice in forum history.
Did you not read the last part of what I said? I guess not. I said if he is just a every once in a while track guy the 31 spline axles and diff will be fine, but if he plans on racing it all the time I would put a spool and 33 spline axles in. So how is that bad advice, sounds like some pretty good advice too me from someone who races at the track a lot and been thru a bunch of broken parts.

"SLOW STREET CAR"

Mods:

Turbocharged
9 Sec. Slow Street Car
Dan03mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #33
machery
user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
Ummmmmm........maybe something that will make him actually go faster?
Ummmmmm..........Most people would strengthen the rear first, then add the power. Why would you add power then break sh!t, then have to park it until you fix it.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 PM   #34
tr32valve

Have you ever put a new differential together? That would be my first question. Setting pinion depth and lash is not that easy for first time rebuilders. I do them all the time and there is an art to it. Too loose and your diff hums like crazy, too tight and your diff hums like crazy. The sweet spot is usually somewhere between .009 and .017. I do not have a manual handy but the tolerances are usually somehwere in there but may be slightly different. If you do not have a dial indicator do not attempt this job. Shimming up a differential is a time consuming project. And no it isn't always as easy as using whatever pinion shim was installed from the factory. I can give you one hint, if you do not have a press handy you may not need one. If you put the pinion in the freezer for a few hours and inser the pinion bearing into the oven at about 300 degrees for about 30 minutes, Most of the time the pinion bearing will fall right on to the pinion gear. If you need to change shims, then you will need a press. No way aorund it at that point. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions of issues.
tr32valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:49 AM   #35
Newskool Mach
10 second club!

You never said if you have an auto or stick? If you have an auto and are going to supercharge it I would go with 3.73's. I have 4.10's and am running out of gear thru the traps. Also I have an eaton diff and I love it.

03 Torch red auto (gone)
Newskool Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:55 AM   #36
bigjmp

well i got all my stuff for the rear end...motive 4.10 gears, 31 spline cobra differential, 31 spline moser axles, FRPP alum. d/s, FRPP girdle. Cant wait to get it installed and see how my mach's gonna ride after.
bigjmp is offline   Reply With Quote