2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles)

Old 06-21-2008, 10:12 AM   #26
LXguy

Re: how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire View Post
What are you talking about? Mod motors own performance wise.
Sorry, but that's not true. Everything that mod motors have done, pushrods have done faster, and cheaper. Don't even get me started on how ridiculous they are to work on.

The mod motor is an incredibly compromised design. Bad bore/stroke ratio. Very limited in CID, no aftermarket hard parts (heads, etc). It's ridiculously gigantic externally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenixfire View Post
Once you add boost tho, thats when these motors really shine and can outpower and outlast any pushrod based v8 new or old, ford or otherwise.

Outpower *ANY* pushrod??? I'm pretty sure there have been lots of pushrods that made more than 315 hp (or whatever the best NA mod motor has arrived with).

Mod motors outlast pushrods with boost? Don't think so.

Ford or otherwise? I hate to break it to you, but 4.6s are a frigging joke compared to LS based GM stuff.

I'm a ford guy, and I bought a Mach, but you've got to be realistic about this stuff, otherwise we're all just a bunch of Honda fanboys talking about hp per liter, and how our motors are more technically sophisticated than the guys that just beat the snot out of us.

Steve
LXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #27
cobramach1
Fear begins with 'FE'

Re: how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXguy View Post
It's ridiculously gigantic externally.

Steve
You made some good points for sure. It's all about how much money you want to put into one too.

In regards to your ridiculously gigantic externally comment, I couldn't agree with you more. It's the size of a Boss 429 or 427SOHC. The only difference is that you can get a Boss 429 and SOHC up to 8-900hp and further naturally aspirated and you can't do that with a 4.6! My 427 in my '70 is 530hp naturally aspirated and there's still more room there as well and I'm planning on pushing a little over 700hp out of that engine when it gets rebuilt for a Cobra kit car. There is a difference when you tromp down on a new 500hp GT500 and then you take my 427 powered Mach 1 out on the street and do the same thing. There's just raw power out of that old big block and you can feel it too. However, I can't come close to getting the fuel efficiency out of it like a newer engine. Fuel injection and the engine management systems have me there.

I like them all though and take them for what they are. I just like apples compared to apples because comparing a supercharged/turbo 4.6 or 5.4 to a naturally aspirated big block is not the same thing. Put a supercharger or turbo on the old pushrod big block and you'll be making well over 1000 hp easily. Something that doesn't necessarily come as easily with the modular motors because of limited parts availability. And no matter what engine we're talking about, when you get up to that amount of HP, none of them are going to hold together any longer than the next.
'70 Mach 1 White/Vermillion interior, 351C 2v, Auto, A/C, needs restoration
'70 Mach 1 Calypso Coral/Black interior, 351C 4v, Auto, very rusty parts car
'69 Mach 1 Indian Fire Red/Black interior, R code 428CJ, 4spd, needs restoration
cobramach1 is offline   Reply With Quote