2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Fluid Systems (coolant, oil, fuel)

Old 05-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #1
snatchss454

Possible to drain fuel from tank via fuel rail?

Hey everyone,

I went to pull my mach out of storage and it wouldn’t start, just cranked. I left it with a full tank hoping moisture wouldn’t become an issue, I also added Heet to the fuel but no other stabilizers. I immediately assume it’s bad gas so I go and get about 2 gallons and had another bottle of Heet in storage. I added the Heet and trickled a very small amount of new fuel into the tank. Still wouldn’t start and I drained the battery so I took it home to charge it. Brought the battery back and got it to ignite a few times and finally started. She ran for about 10-15 minutes, albeit roughly.

Started getting smelly inside the storage shed so I pulled it out and it stalled and won’t start. I’d like to drain the tank without dropping it and may have a small 1/4” siphon but I read there is a way to remove the pressure check valve on the fuel rail, add some hose out to a container, then somehow jumper the fuel pump so it stays on when you turn the key on and drain the fuel that way.

Is this feesible? If so does anyone know of a video or instructions documenting the procedure?

Thanks,
Shane

Last edited by snatchss454; 05-16-2021 at 04:33 PM.
snatchss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
snatchss454

Re: Possible to drain fuel from tank via fuel rail?

Update:
I was able to siphon about 2 gallons out of the tank. I tested a little bit with a lighter and it lit right up and stayed lit. So I figure it wasn’t bad gas and tried starting the car to no avail. I tried listening for the fuel pump but the friggen dings and cd changer make too much of a ruckus.
I then removed the cover to the Schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail and depressed it with a star drive bit and nothing. No hiss, no fuel..nada. I checked the fuel pump fuse and swapped it with another 20a, I checked the inertia switch in the trunk, I unplugged and plugged the fuel pump harness on the rear pass side by the fuel tank. Then tried a restart and nothing, checked the valve and no pressure.

So I don’t know anymore. I’m assuming it’s the fuel pump as I couldn’t hear anything like the loud humming on my 95 GT when you turn the key to the on position.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 05-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Unless the fuel is several years old it’s not likely to be the issue.

The pump only gets power for a couple seconds when turning the key forward

1) is the odometer all dashes and theft light flashing rapidly? If not:

2) with a helper probe the harness to the fuel pump with a bolt meter or test light. If you have power but still no fuel pressure it’s fuel pump time

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
snatchss454

Thanks for the reply! No, the odometer displays the mileage. I’ve got my volt meter so I’ll test out the power to the pump tomorrow and see what shakes out.
Shane
Old 05-17-2021, 02:16 AM   #5
snatchss454

Just wanted to add to the information for others who may be having this issue.

I didn’t realize until I was watching/reading the comments in Danny Johnson’s hard starting video and it was mentioned that unplugging the maf resolved the issue sometimes and other had commented on the same thing. Then it dawned on me that the time the car started I had removed the intake and unplugged the maf. The reason I remember it was because I forgot to plug it back in and I noticed afterwords, then reconnected and tried again and bam!

I’ll give it a shot tomorrow and see if it will work again.

Shane
Old 05-17-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

if it starts with the MAF unplugged but not plugged in Id grab a can of MAF cleaner and see if it can be saved. You dont want to use any other type of electrical cleaner as many leave a protective film and that's exactly what you DON'T want on your MAF

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote