2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Electrical System

Old 08-09-2023, 08:39 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

engine cooling fan and associated symptoms

Just wanted to spare somebody a headache...

If your cooling fan locks up like just mine did, you may experience the following: overheat, the dreaded 'tick' as a result of hot #8 cylinder, AC acting odd / short cycling / not cooling, blown 50 amp maxi fuse. Fortunately, the relay on the constant control relay module (CCRM) didn't burn up because that integrated 4 relay unit (under the passenger fender) is very expensive.

I replaced the original fan with a Dorman from autozone because a motorcraft is not available.

The job was fairly easy but the main point I am making is the symptoms were so weird and it's because the ECM denied the demand for AC knowing the fan circuit was not operational.

If you do this job, it's also a good time to flush the cooling system, change thermostat Ford has now listed and the parts houses do the same -- a 180 degree thermostat is recommended, and please make sure you burp the system properly or you could severely damage your DOHC engine! Use grease or anti-seize on the plug threads when done. MMR and other places sell burp plugs with a head on them for a large wrench, or you could cut 4 parallel sides on your original and then use a pipe wrench (which is what I've done). The 1/4 drive square hole in the middle is insufficient.

Happy Mach - ing

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-10-2023 at 01:17 PM. Reason: left out info about tick
Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 09:50 AM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: engine cooling fan and associated symptoms

ya, lots of potential failure signs depending on how the fan fails. On mine the fan blade assembly failed at the seem, it did it during a second gear pull, when I let off the gas I thought the motor was knocking like hell. I was around the corner from the house and figured screw it, can't make it much worse... popped the hood and saw the ring smacking the fan housing, luckily didnt hit the radiator or anything.

and yes, the Doorman is the closest thing to stock, OE has been discontinued for quite a long time

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM   #3
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Amazing timing! My A/C failed on Monday, and the symptoms are exactly like you describe. I'm having someone look at it today. I'll let you know what happens. With daytime highs being 100or more for the last month I'm not playing around with this.

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 10:06 PM   #4
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Well, not the fan on mine. The body control module located in the right front fenderwell failed, for the second time in its history. Got it swapped out and it work fine. As with the fan, Ford no longer supports this item but an aftermarket replacement was easy to find and now things are much cooler, at least on the inside.

11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
Old 08-18-2023, 10:43 PM   #5
jbrad88
Original Owner

Ironic this post comes up. So I purchased a replacement Ford Fan probably 12 years ago or so when people were reporting that the stock fans were failing or coming apart. Mine has lasted to this day no issues.

However, after the header install last November I had a tune done by VMP. They set the fans at 200 and 210 respectfully. I had been running 190-200 with the old canned tune before the headers.

Anyway, recently when I turned on the AC and the fan and compressor came on I got some idle surging. It would drop, not to the point of stalling, but noticeably lower as the compressor cycled.

Now I have an x4 to monitor the ECT and I have an autometer mechanical gauge plumbed into the coolant crossover tube. The autometer (which I just replaced after 18 years or so) was reading @ 10 degrees higher than the X4 did. Which I figured was due to where it is positioned.

Anyway temps were staying in the 210 range on both devices.

I replaced the fan, and put a new cap on the overflow, and now no idle surge, and the temps stay between 190-200 consistently even with the AC on and our 100 degree days.

I am still (knock on wood) on the stock radiator and t-stat and hoses. I have all the spare parts to overhaul the cooling system except for hoses and a replacement radiator. so far, very happy that the fan and a new cap have effectively cooled the car off at least 10 degrees alone, as well as stopped the surging. I suspect the old fan motor, although still running and not making any noises was on its way out.

Stock fan went almost 120k miles and over 20 years so I cannot complain.
Next step is to look into a replacement radiator when the time comes. I already have a factory water pump and 180 thermostat waiting in the wings.

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 11:40 AM   #6
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1

Although not electrical, it is AC related. My AC oreviously was blowing through the defroster vents. After doing some looking on YouTube and talking to some people with some history with these cars it turns out some of the vacuum lines were cracked. It's a simple fix to snip these lines and sleeve them with rubber vacuum line and it works great now.

11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
Old 08-31-2023, 02:45 PM   #7
jbrad88
Original Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
Although not electrical, it is AC related. My AC oreviously was blowing through the defroster vents. After doing some looking on YouTube and talking to some people with some history with these cars it turns out some of the vacuum lines were cracked. It's a simple fix to snip these lines and sleeve them with rubber vacuum line and it works great now.

You know it’s funny you mention that. Just did that repair to my daughters 2003 v-6 and walked my brother thru the same broken vacuum line repair on his 1998.

Common issue and easy fix

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's