2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Electrical System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2023, 08:39 PM   #1
Yellow Jacket

engine cooling fan and associated symptoms

Just wanted to spare somebody a headache...

If your cooling fan locks up like just mine did, you may experience the following: overheat, the dreaded 'tick' as a result of hot #8 cylinder, AC acting odd / short cycling / not cooling, blown 50 amp maxi fuse. Fortunately, the relay on the constant control relay module (CCRM) didn't burn up because that integrated 4 relay unit (under the passenger fender) is very expensive.

I replaced the original fan with a Dorman from autozone because a motorcraft is not available.

The job was fairly easy but the main point I am making is the symptoms were so weird and it's because the ECM denied the demand for AC knowing the fan circuit was not operational.

If you do this job, it's also a good time to flush the cooling system, change thermostat Ford has now listed and the parts houses do the same -- a 180 degree thermostat is recommended, and please make sure you burp the system properly or you could severely damage your DOHC engine! Use grease or anti-seize on the plug threads when done. MMR and other places sell burp plugs with a head on them for a large wrench, or you could cut 4 parallel sides on your original and then use a pipe wrench (which is what I've done). The 1/4 drive square hole in the middle is insufficient.

Happy Mach - ing

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 08-10-2023 at 01:17 PM. Reason: left out info about tick
Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote