2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  

Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "GO" Discussions > Brakes & Suspension

Old 03-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #1
Rusty67

Has anyone done the Caddy ATS Brembo front brake upgrade?

Apparently there is a hardware kit that allows us to bolt on the ATS 4 piston fixed caliper to the front. S&S Engineering makes the kit. I read up on this on a few other forums. No one seems to have put this kit on a Mach 1. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this setup will clear the Mach 1 rim without mods/spacers?

Also, I'm wondering how the pedal feel will change. I'm not sure how much this will change pedal feel due to the total piston surface area being acted on. We might need to change to a bigger bore MC to maintain pedal feel/travel.

On top of that, I haven't looked into the surface area between the two pad to see how much of a difference it is. I am interested in this swap. The stock brakes on the Mach 1 are decent but I've been looking for a way to improve them without going to a larger rim for a LONG time because the stock rim is heavy enough and the 18" stock style rim is, I think, even heavier.

It isn't a race car but I'd like the upgrade to be a win in every way instead of a concession in some ways and a win in others.
Rusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

Re: Has anyone done the Caddy ATS Brembo front brake upgrade?

From everything I have looked at there is NO brake caliper upgrade that clears the stock wheels without using spacers - the barrel of the wheel is one thing, it's the lack of spacing to the backside of the spokes.

I ended up getting 6piston calipers and 14" 2piece rotors through Reaper Brakes. I have had no issues with pedal feel/travel on this setup, nor have I heard of anyone else doing anything to the master cylinder when upgrading brakes.

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
jbrad88
Original Owner

I have watched just about every video on these, and it seems the answer to brake feel with the hydro-boost is there is really nothing we can adjust. I have seen as you likely have the suggestion to go to the larger taurus rear-caliper. Specifically piston size is 42 or 43mm vs our stock 38 I believe. Anyway, there is a guy on you tube that did the entire swap on his 02 or 03 GT. He also did the rear caliper upgrade. He already had FR500 style wheels which will clear. It's a good video. guy is fairly meticulous. He also did a complete stiflers kit and a maximum motorsports full system.

he probably will answer most of your questions...

His videos are on his channel REPAIR GEEK...

03 Torch Red Mach 1
21 FJG Mach 1

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
BBK long tube headers catted x pipe
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:57 AM   #4
Rusty67

Thanks guys. I had found the repair geek video after posting this. I went ahead and bought all the parts needed for the swap. In a few weeks I'm going to test fit the new caliper and see how much wheel spacer is needed to make it fit under the stock rims.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:36 PM   #5
DSG2003Mach1
700 HP Mach

just for future reference on this - stay away from wretched_svt who posts about this crap on IG etc... he's a strung out conman.

everlasting_svt in this thread

https://www.svtperformance.com/threa...-sale.1210308/

'12 F150 FX2 Supercrew with Ecoboost daily beater
DSG2003Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 10:52 AM   #6
Rusty67

Good to know, I buy stuff on SVTP occasionally. I've only gotten bit once and it wasn't that bad, the rest of the time I've dealt with honest people.

I'm out of town next week and way too busy this weekend prepping for next weekend but the weekend after, I'm going to test fit the ATS calipers and see how much of a spacer is needed to make them work. I'm hoping I can get away with 1/4" or less. I'll post the info on it when I figure it out.

In other news, I'm not getting the email updates for replies to my subscribed threads. Anyone else having that issue?