2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club  


Go Back   2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club > "Show" Discussions > Detailing/Cleaning Tips

Detailing/Cleaning Tips Cleaning your Mach 1 - Washing, Waxing, Detailing Tips and suggestions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2021, 12:39 AM   #1
ASH302
Soldier for Christ
 
ASH302's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Willis, TX at The Daddy ASh Ranch
Posts: 30,665
detailing products

It has been years since i've hand washing a car and was wondering what everyone is using.
i've seen the foam cannons, many people are using.
basically wondering what is good for car soap, clay bar, inside detailing. whatever brands and types.
Any good products to go with.

The Mach is OW, don't know if that makes a diff.

ASh
__________________
2001 lazer red v6 Mustang coupe sold in Aug 2006
2004 screaming yellow 5.0 sc Mach 1 sold in Oct 2012
2013 grey 6 speed coupe GT Mustang Sold in Feb 2014
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
jbrad88
Original Owner
 
jbrad88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 5,162
Re: detailing products

Well, now that you know me a little better. I bought one of the foam cannons you use with your garden hose. Its not too bad. not as good as one with a pressure washer, but with the right soap it gets plenty of suds on the car...

As far as the rest...I usually wash the car with simple green before I do a full detail. hit the wheels with McGuires iron remover, the clay the car.

Then if it needs compound instead of just a polish I hit it with good old McGuires Mirror glaze 105 ultra cut compound. I use a porter cable dual action and Chemical guys orange pad. Then after I get it where I want it I move to the 205 Ultra finishing polish...Then #26 carnauba.

I am going to experiment with he new Turtle wax Pro-Flex wax spray...it has Graphene in it which is the next evolution from ceramic coatings...watched a bunch of videos on the graphene products. Appears legit...

Did the 2019 last week. Going to start on the red car this week.

Interior I use basic McGuires interior detailing stuff, or Chemical guys. Like both lines. Have a selection of brushes for hard to reach areas, etc. Interior has stayed fairly easy to keep up...
__________________
JB

03 Torch Red Mach 1
2019 Shadow Black PP1 GT 6M

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
falcongtho3
Moderating at Mach 1
 
falcongtho3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 16,244
Re: detailing products

I did a (Mothers) clay bar routine on the Boss and it brings the red back out to popping like it should.I did use the 303 Graphene coating, and I'm not sure it gives the shine of a high quality wax but it sheds water like a duck! And continues to do so 2 months on. I even used it on the side and rear glass and it seems to work well in those areas. Doesn't repel brake dust at all and does seem to work well on vinyl striping. I'll probably stick to clay bar on the Mach once I get the paint straight on the front cap and keep using Liquid Glass until I can no longer find it.

__________________
Krewe de la Mach Rouge

#340804 13th Mach 1 built
11/07/02 Build Date
12/13/02 Delivery
falcongtho3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
ASH302
Soldier for Christ
 
ASH302's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Willis, TX at The Daddy ASh Ranch
Posts: 30,665
Re: detailing products

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrad88 View Post
Well, now that you know me a little better. I bought one of the foam cannons you use with your garden hose. Its not too bad. not as good as one with a pressure washer, but with the right soap it gets plenty of suds on the car...

As far as the rest...I usually wash the car with simple green before I do a full detail. hit the wheels with McGuires iron remover, the clay the car.

Then if it needs compound instead of just a polish I hit it with good old McGuires Mirror glaze 105 ultra cut compound. I use a porter cable dual action and Chemical guys orange pad. Then after I get it where I want it I move to the 205 Ultra finishing polish...Then #26 carnauba.

I am going to experiment with he new Turtle wax Pro-Flex wax spray...it has Graphene in it which is the next evolution from ceramic coatings...watched a bunch of videos on the graphene products. Appears legit...

Did the 2019 last week. Going to start on the red car this week.

Interior I use basic McGuires interior detailing stuff, or Chemical guys. Like both lines. Have a selection of brushes for hard to reach areas, etc. Interior has stayed fairly easy to keep up...
Thanks for the details.
I have a pressure washer, but it is 3200 psi, I think it might be a little over kill. I really would like to just get the ryobi 1600 psi electric pressure washer and set it up with the soap bucket add on. I'm not looking at getting it crazy clean, but the small pressure washer I think would work great and they are only around $100 bucks.

ASh
__________________
2001 lazer red v6 Mustang coupe sold in Aug 2006
2004 screaming yellow 5.0 sc Mach 1 sold in Oct 2012
2013 grey 6 speed coupe GT Mustang Sold in Feb 2014
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
ASH302
Soldier for Christ
 
ASH302's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Willis, TX at The Daddy ASh Ranch
Posts: 30,665
Re: detailing products

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongtho3 View Post
I did a (Mothers) clay bar routine on the Boss and it brings the red back out to popping like it should.I did use the 303 Graphene coating, and I'm not sure it gives the shine of a high quality wax but it sheds water like a duck! And continues to do so 2 months on. I even used it on the side and rear glass and it seems to work well in those areas. Doesn't repel brake dust at all and does seem to work well on vinyl striping. I'll probably stick to clay bar on the Mach once I get the paint straight on the front cap and keep using Liquid Glass until I can no longer find it.

I honestly thought the clay bar made the car shine better than waxing it when I used it on my SY Mach.

ASh
__________________
2001 lazer red v6 Mustang coupe sold in Aug 2006
2004 screaming yellow 5.0 sc Mach 1 sold in Oct 2012
2013 grey 6 speed coupe GT Mustang Sold in Feb 2014
2013 RED Dodge Charger R/T Sold Nov 2014
2002 custom Blue 02 Auto Trans AM Sold June 2015
1998 Cobra Black Sold summer 2016

Current
2009 Ford F350 FX4 March 2017 (work truck)
2003 OW 5.0 Mach 1 Aug 2020

ASh
ASH302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #6
jbrad88
Original Owner
 
jbrad88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 5,162
Re: detailing products

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH302 View Post
I honestly thought the clay bar made the car shine better than waxing it when I used it on my SY Mach.

ASh
Clay bar will do a lot for it, just getting all the contamination off the surface will make a big difference depending on the condition of the car. A good top coating of quality wax never hurts…look up “Pan the Organizer” on you tube. He has Some really good videos that I have found to be useful information…
__________________
JB

03 Torch Red Mach 1
2019 Shadow Black PP1 GT 6M

Stainless Steel Systems Adrenaline Series
18x9 18x10- Solid Gloss Black FR5's
Nitto 555 g2 275/35r18's 285/35r18
MGW Shifter With Mach1 Shift Knob
4.10's & 31 spline Mosers and 31 Spline Posi
Steeda Sport Springs Tokiko Illuminas
J@M weight Jacker LCA's
J@M Rear UCA's
J@M Braided steel brake lines
Eibach Sway Bars
jbrad88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #7
ab_mach1
Lorraine's driver
 
ab_mach1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 2,440
Re: detailing products

My favorites are...

Adam's Car Shampoo - It's great because you can use it in buckets or foam canons, etc. I nearly always have to wash my car in the sun and this soap won't make water spots if it dries in the sun. It is really slick and foams up easily.

Xtreme Solutions Topper - Excellent for helping you dry the car after washing. I don't think I've ever had something that made drying so pleasurable lol. It has a bit of protection too, so it's helps in between wax jobs. You can also use it as a detail spray too. Best of all, it works great in direct sunlight.

Adam's Tire & Rubber cleaner - Works excellent at cleaning tires and other rubber parts. Even better than bleche-wite used to be able to do back in the 80's.

P&S Brake Buster - It's a good wheel cleaner that isn't acid based. I don't use the stinky smelling acid based ones because I'm afraid they'll ruin my AFS Wheels. This can be diluted too, so it's nice when you don't have daily-driver type dirty wheels. You can cleans tires with this too, though it doesn't work as well as Adam's Tire & Rubber.

P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner - This stuff works great and can be diluted, which works great on non-daily driven cars so it lasts a long time.
For protection, I typically use Optimum Spray Wax. I've used Turtle Wax Seal & Shine as well. I hear the newer version of seal & shine is easier to apply without streaking. I have some 303 Graphene Nano Spray coating that I plan to try next this fall when it's due for more protection. Honestly though, the Topper has made it seem like it's freshly waxed all the time lol.

I use Griots Garage PFM drying towels and mostly Edgeless 365 microfiber towels from the Rag Company. You can get them on Amazon as well.

You can buy these products at many sites, so it should be hard to find. The only exception would be Topper, so I provided a link.

Hope this helps.
__________________
  • Instagram: @azurblumach1
  • SCT X3 with LaSota Racing tune
  • Borla Stingers w/JBA off road H pipe
  • MGW short shifter w/comfort handle
  • Eibach Sportlines w/Koni STR.T's and Maximum Motorsports CC plates
ab_mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2002-2013 Mach1Registry.com

<